Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone knows why the layout of a kindle book changes even if you don't change the font size. For instance if I am reading a book and I do a search within the book sometimes the words are on a different "page" than when I originally read them. For instance, somtimes a chapter ends and there is almost a full screen of blank and I hit next page for the new chapter to begin, but later on if I look at the end of that chapter again it is at the end of a screen. another example is the last sentence on a screen might be the first sentence on a screen as I am using the prev page and next page buttons, but I haven't changed the font size so I don't see what the display would change. Am I making sense?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've also noticed it but can't explain why it happens.  Sometimes it happens if I go back a page and then forward again.  The words are then placed differently on the page.

I've noticed it with both my K1 and K2.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Because the book isn't laid out in "pages."  The page you see is dynamically created.  So say you're looking at a page that is locations 100-106.  If you do Go to Location 103, you've just moved up about half a page, changing the layout.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
The first time I noticed reformatting of the pages I saw that the first location of the page changed. I noticed this first in books formatted to start each chapter at the top of the page. Going back a page would show the previous page starting at a different location.

Search starts the display page at the location where the word is found.

Later, when I added bookmarks to a book that was not formatted to start each chapter on a new page, I used the Go To Location feature to go to the beginning of the chapter so that my bookmark would be at the beginning of the chapter instead of at the beginning of a page that contained the beginning of the chapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts