Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if you knew of any links/resources that would act as a guide for best practices in formatting non-fiction.

My primary concern is what to do with weblinks. Do you make them full hyperlinks or do you, say, print the full address in brackets (with http:// included)?

Dave

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My blog on the Tuesday Tips day has a series on Kindle-ization and next up is the how-to re: my experiences formatting nonfiction. http://www.AmyShojai.com and check out Tuesday posts.

I recommend the full URL rather than hot-links because not all platforms support hotlinks--and your reader will be frustrated being unable to find/access the recommended link. Kindle-for-PC supports hotlinks but the reader itself doesn't. *shrug* It may in the future but you'll still have some readers that are not able to do so. Give readers every opportunity to access recommended info.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Amy,

Thanks for that, and I will keep an eye on your blog.

There are obviously a lot of restrictions formatting non-fiction (more so in mobi than epub). You can't really use different fonts, you are limited with text sizes and such, and I don't want to go overboard with bold and italics.

I'm thinking of paring it back completely.

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the non-fiction books I formatted (in my previous job as a books editor who took on the job of converting for the Kindle market) I always put in the full web link. Re the formatting, I kept it all quite simple. I'll throw in as well that I think a table of contents is much more important for non-fic than it is for fiction, plus 'back to the top' links so readers could go to the beginning of the chapter or book.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like keeping it simple is the way to go. That works for me.

I have a very detailed Table of Contents, fully hyper-linked in Word. I know I will lose all that when convert to mobi and ePub, but it helps me keep track of what I will have to hand-code, and I need it anyway for the PDF version.

About the "back to the top" links. Did you do that because readers like to go back over a chapter again? It sounds like a good idea, I'm going to consider it (although most chapters are quite short).

There was going to be a lot of screenshots in two of the chapters, but they just look so bad that I think I will host all that content outside of the book on a website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.