Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write in Word, save it as a filtered web page, then feed it to Calibre to turn it into a mobi or epub file. Nearly everything comes out great--embedded book cover, bolds, fonts, page breaks, indents, and so on.
The one thing I can't figure is how to center the title page, or to get each chapter to start further down the "page." I tried using four returns in Word, but these get ignored, and the chapters, title page, copyright page, etc. all revert to the top of the e-reader's "page."
Any suggestions on a Word function that html/Calibre will obey?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
This isn't a direct answer, just what I have learned. I'm not going direct to Calibre.

I have used returns for chapters, and then fed Word/filtered to Mobi.  When I feed the mobi prc output to Calibre to get an ePub, the chapter returns are maintained.

Centering is maintained, but the Word style that is centered must not have a first line indent. If it does, the center will be skewed to the right.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Instead of creating the html from Word, try creating it from Open Office's Writer program (a free download.)

I use Mobipocket instead of Calibre, but the missing lines were a problem with MPC until I switched to Writer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Putting page breaks between the title page, dedication page, copyright page etc., and then centering them individually worked for me. 

But I don't know how to uniformly start chapters lower on the page except by hitting return several times until the heading is at a certain inch measurement.  Then you could upload it to Calibre and see if it looks good on the Kindle in the regular font.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What is the benefit of running through Mobipocket Creator or Calibre? 

I just upload a Word .doc file formated to Smashwords style guide specs.  Am I missing something?  Is there some added benefit to pre-formating with these programs?  With Mobipocket I get a .prc file that works to view in Kindle for PC, but I don't know if I can upload a .prc file to KDP.

·
Registered
492 Posts
By far, the easiest thing to do is use the style formating options in Word.  Make one for centering, one for chapter headings, one for your title, and as long as you don't use bizarre fonts or anything like that, it works perfectly.  If you're unsure what I'm talking about, check out the formatting info on Smashwords.  Very clear, step-by-step, that gets you where you want to be.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In Word, create a style for the chapter titles. Edit the format for the style. Under the paragraph section of the style format, enter the number of points you want following the paragraph. Experiment a little for the number of points you would like. Works like a charm and the style carries forward when you convert to html.

RW

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Yes, you can upload a .prc file to KDP.  The benefit is what you mentioned - you can preview it before you send it up, including testing your table of contents.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now we're rolling; I really appreciate the tips.

As far as the query as to the use of Calibre, I used it for very limited purposes. Mainly, it was the only way I could learn how to embed my book cover in the file. I realize that there are other ways to do this, but my tech knowledge is extremely lame. I basically pick up bits and pieces here and there and then test drive whatever sticks to my addled brain. I use the tedious trial and error method of sending the latest experimental file to my Kindle via [email protected] to see what works. I believe this is called the Rube Goldberg method.

I was able to follow some of the tutorial on Guido Henkel's blog http://guidohenkel.com/2011/02/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting-part-ix/
I will combine what I learned from there with all the excellent tips you folks have provided, and keep on keeping on!

Thanks again,
Rube Goldberg, Jr.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
RW Bennett said:
In Word, create a style for the chapter titles. Edit the format for the style. Under the paragraph section of the style format, enter the number of points you want following the paragraph. Experiment a little for the number of points you would like. Works like a charm and the style carries forward when you convert to html.

RW
Don't try that with smashwords or it wont be accepted. You have to set your paragraphs spaces at "0" before and after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts