Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting my next book ready to upload to Amazon et al but I was wondering who people got to do their formatting. I previously used someone on Fiverr who was excellent, but I hear a lot of people format using Scrivener (I have Windows so Vellum is out of the question) - in the long term, is that a better investment then?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I do my own. It's really not that hard, unless you're looking for something very specific and or fancy.

I type in Word on Windows. I have zero desire to ever use a Mac again, so Vellum is out of the contest. I have heard there is a new Vellum killer program here or coming soon that is Windows compatible. I can't remember the name now, however.

It did take a bit of playing around at the beginning, but all my books are formatted the same, so I just take my format free ebook doc, copy to a new doc, and start plugging in whatever changes need to be made in the insert and layout tabs.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I do my own. It's really not that hard, unless you're looking for something very specific and or fancy.

I type in Word on Windows. I have zero desire to ever use a Mac again, so Vellum is out of the contest. I have heard there is a new Vellum killer program here or coming soon that is Windows compatible. I can't remember the name now, however.
It’s called Atticus. You can sign up to be notified when the beta goes live. atticus.pub

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I write and format in word. I set up the basic format as soon as I start a book. Paragraph first line 0.3
Line spacing 1 1/2, click the box so it won't add an extra space between paragraphs. New times roman 12 , block justified. One * (asterisk) between scene changes Heading 1 for Chapter headings. To start a chapter on a new page, click on insert, pages, page break.
Insert Table of contents, select "reference" and then table of content and choose the style you like. The table of contents goes on a separate page after your title and " by author and copyright page. End of book - back matter can include a link to your website or to Amazon. Be advised don't put a link to an Amazon site if your uploading to Apple. :eek:)

When your done, run it through D2D's free formatting to see how it looks and to add an extra heading decor. It's free no sign up required and you can reload it as often as you want until it's perfect. They will also convert it to epub and pdf free.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
448 Posts
Thanks - excellent replies, very helpful
And Calibre is a free option that works well, lets you edit the epub and makes pretty files. It is easy to learn its basic functions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm just getting my next book ready to upload to Amazon et al but I was wondering who people got to do their formatting. I previously used someone on Fiverr who was excellent, but I hear a lot of people format using Scrivener (I have Windows so Vellum is out of the question) - in the long term, is that a better investment then?
Here is a link to 8 'free' formatting templates (for an ebook) that I've created to help self-publishing authors: Download Templates. (ps...anyone is welcome to download this). If you decide to format in word it may give you a head start with learning the ropes. I think formatting is something most people can learn to do themselves...so try to save your $ and invest in your time to learn. There is a lot of good YouTube videos on the topic that you can easily find that will be helpful as well.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I use Word, no fancy formatting, Times New Roman 12 pt... On the first fresh, blank sheet I open the paragraph dialogue box, check First Line Indented, by .05 (default) (some use different indentations); Spacing before and after 0 pt, on both; Line Spacing single. Hit OK, and you're ready to roll. Works for me, anyway. Some authors use Styles in Word.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do my own, both Kindle and paperbacks. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually dead easy. A good idea would be to make a checklist of all the things you need to do to the file which will make it even easier. The first couple of times may be a bit finicky, but then it becomes pretty automatic. And yes, using styles in Word simplifies it even further.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say a big thank you to everyone who replied - that was so hopeful and rather inspiring (I know, that sounds odd).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is a link to 8 'free' formatting templates (for an ebook) that I've created to help self-publishing authors: Download Templates. (ps...anyone is welcome to download this). If you decide to format in word it may give you a head start with learning the ropes. I think formatting is something most people can learn to do themselves...so try to save your $ and invest in your time to learn. There is a lot of good YouTube videos on the topic that you can easily find that will be helpful as well.
Can I just say, thank you for these templates! They're quite good and will save a lot of time when I'm ready to publish my book. What a wonderful public service on your part.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use a clean Word template and a tool to convert my text to Word - works perfectly, simple, and when I upload it to KDP there are no issues.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've done both where I've done my own formatting and hired someone for both ebook and paperback formats. I found it does look better for others to do the formatting, because I go crazy over the small stuff. For my sanity now, I hire people. But if you need to save the money, Fiverr is a good bet for people in your budget. I've used templates and they worked basically, but I almost bought Vellum. Then, the pandemic hit. So, I held off before doing my own books that way. Maybe when things pick up again, I'll go back to looking at the Vellum option.

Reactions: Lady Runa

·
Registered
Murder in Magic City
2 Posts
Fiverr can be a good way to go but I had a terrible experience with one of the guys on there doing Vellum formatting so I bought the software and started doing it myself.

If you want to use Vellum but don't have or don't want to buy a Mac, you can actually rent a Mac in the cloud. There are a couple of good services for this. One is Mac In Cloud and the other Mac Stadium. Mac In Cloud offers hourly rates and seems to be the more popular one.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I write in MS word then use Kindle Create for my kindle books. It's a free download from Amazon. It accepts Word Docs as input, and outputs to their new KPF format. It's no Vellum killer, but it has a decent feature set and makes very clean functional kindle books.

In addition, I also have Vellum for paperback (and epubs ... although I prefer uploading KPFs).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I taught myself how to format by watching hours of Youtube.

Reactions: Lady Runa

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've taken on board much of this and am going to try it myself. I quite like learning something new and it works well with the next stage of editing. Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Do it myself; it's the easiest thing in the world in Word

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can I just say, thank you for these templates! They're quite good and will save a lot of time when I'm ready to publish my book. What a wonderful public service on your part.
No worries at all :), glad you liked them. Feel free to share the template with your author friends if you like. I'll be making it available for 'FREE' directly through my website once I have created the section for it and I'll be adding a few more templates over time as well...so you might like to check in again in a few month time...not going to go overboard, but just so there is a few style examples for each genre type.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts