Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to read as many of the Parkman Prize winners as I can and am now starting FDR, by Jean Edward Smith, who won the 2008 award (it is on the Kindle).  So far, I've read about 10 of them, but think that will dwindle off now.  If you look at the list of winners, there is a lot of race-related stuff that was in vogue in the 1960's and 1970's and that seems to be a horse that has been beaten sufficiently.  Also, there are several books about FDR and I think this latest one should end that trend.  It is a good read and I would recommend it.
I loved Empires of the Atlantic and The Peabody Sisters.
Anyone else into this stuff?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I am not familiar with the Parkman prize. What are the criteria and who are some of the winners? (Not an exhaustive list, just a few highlights.)

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ah, thanks, Ethan. I've read a few books on the list, but not many. I guess I am not as much of a historian as I thought I was! LOL

L

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've read  a little over half the books on the list.  I'm more of a European history person so I'm shocked I've read so many.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
The following Parkman Prize books are available on Kindle. I started looking at them, because we had a number of them, including Mothers of Invention.

Betsy

2008 Jean Edward Smith, FDR
(Random House) $9.99

2007 J. H. Elliott, Empires of the Atlantic World
: Britain and Spain in America, 1492-1830 (Yale University Press) $9.99

2002 Louis Menand, The Metaphysical Club
(Farrar, Straus and Giroux) $5.87

2001 Fred Anderson, The Crucible of War
(Knopf) $7.96

2000 David M. Kennedy, Freedom from Fear
(Oxford University Press) $9.99

1998 John M. Barry, Rising Tide
(Simon and Schuster) $9.59

1993 David McCullough, Truman

1986 Kenneth T. Jackson, Crabgrass Frontier
(Oxford University Press) $9.99

1978 David McCullough, The Path Between the Seas

1966 Daniel J. Boorstin, The Americans: The National Experience
(Random House) $6.39

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Thanks to Ethan for telling us about it and giving the website link.  I just did some technical stuff because it was easier than working on the quilt commission I have, LOL!

Betsy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts