Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
To the OP.  This is just cruel and unusual punishment to my Kindle.  Now I have more authors to choose from.

Most of the ones you listed are very good writers.  I know they would not have to buy reviews.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Here's my take.

In an age of anonymity, you can libel others with seeming impunity. Hide behind IP masks. Sling mud as you like.

The damage of something like this is minimal, because most thinking humans are pretty adept at sorting idiocy from fact. You wouldn't know that based on our elections, but hey, ignore that for a moment.

Real journalists don't hide their names. They don't post libel. They offer hard evidence, or they aren't allowed to publish. Real journalism isn't about hatchet jobs. It's about the truth. Or at least, that's the idea.

I know Melissa. She wouldn't buy reviews. She doesn't need to. She has those that hate her, and those that love her, and both post reviews all the time. I also know quite a few of the folks on that list, and I don't believe for a second that they would buy reviews to push their agendas. Why? Because, for one thing, review buying hasn't worked, that I can tell, for two years. I've got 640 reviews on one book alone. Guess what? My sales for that series are about what they were when I had 50. So as far as I can tell, that ship sailed a while ago. Anyone stupid enough to pay for something that doesn't work should contact my psychic hotline. I guarantee it will help your sales.

If someone's going to libel people, that someone must furnish proof. Not innuendo and strident declarations of veracity. There is zero evidence on that site of anything but someone with too much time on their hands and no decent outlet for their frustration.

BTW, I am kind of pissed I'm not on that list. I mean, come on, people. When can I catch a break? Probably the only time Hugh, HM Ward and I would ever be mentioned in the same breath, if not as a punchline or a curse.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
Yeah. Hell, I also got a few emails this week linking to an unnamed place where a moderator is still besmirching my name.
No one was supposed to tell you what I've been saying about you, dammit...

jljarvis said:
That said, it's times like this when I wish we had a non-public KBoards forum where we could discuss issues like this without adding fuel to the fire (in the form of giving wrongdoers more publicity).
We actually have a "members-only" area....but anyone who is a member can go there. And becoming a member isn't terribly difficult, as you know.

Really, I agree with those who've said that this is a flea-sized site making an accusation. People are only going to know about it if links to it keep getting posted. And it only has credibility if people give it credence.

Betsy

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've hit way more than 500 reviews and had someone write me a 1 star review on one of my books saying I obviously bought those reviews because they said:

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley/author to give an honest opinion, I was not recompensed in anyway.

That could be what they're claiming are "paid" reviews. However, I've never paid for a single review. I do not buy gifts of my books and send them in mass quantities to people, that's counter productive to, you know, actually making money and stuff.

And I've seen HM's and Hugh's fans in person, they are rabid. Sheesh... crazyness.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Nice to see there's no shortage of nuts on the internet. Now we just have a new crop of them, right? While I can't vouch for everyone on that list, I can vouch for more than a handful. So, yeah--calling BS. Sadly, the time, money, and effort it would take to fight it would probably just be a waste.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Had a brief look through the rest of the blog- it seems that if an author reviews another author's book then it must automatically be a bought review, or something like that.  I'm still trying to work out the logic of it all.

Whoever is behind the blog is very angry for some reason and is taking it out on authors in general.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
How much is it for 500 reviews? Do I get a discount at 5,000? 50,000?

Heck, let's all go out and buy 50,000 reviews. Then they can blog about Hugh and HM being such cheapskates, only having purchased a mere 500.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As one of the names on the list, I'm shocked and annoyed. I've publicly and privately lobbied against purchased reviews, urging Nader Kabbani in person (he's the Amazon KDP VP) to crack down on the practice when I meet with him. They have done some work in that direction, but not enough yet in my opinion.

Thanks to Tom Harris for alerting me. I've tried to contact the author of this article and make a rebuttal...no response yet.
-B. V. Larson

·
Registered
120 Posts
A. S. Warwick said:
Had a brief look through the rest of the blog- it seems that if an author reviews another author's book then it must automatically be a bought review, or something like that. I'm still trying to work out the logic of it all.

Whoever is behind the blog is very angry for some reason and is taking it out on authors in general.
Agreed. I looked all around the website, too. They consider a review to be "fake" if it's bought, written by a friend, written by someone you met at a booksigning, written by a fan, written by anyone who participated in a promotional contest you ran, written by anyone who obtained a free copy, written by that girl you ran into in the elevator, written by that guy in Indonesia who was in your last MMO guild...and so on.

How do they think the big trade publishers get reviews? Copies of books have been given out in return for reviews for, like, ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but as an author advocate I do want to speak up.

But first can I do a happy dance?  :-*  **I made a list with Hugh and HM?**  Wow, I must be doing something right. Oh yeah, it's a fake list. Darn it! Hugh and HM, it's an honor to share a spot with you under any circumstances:)

Just wanted to say that by posting the active link you're giving him a big audience, so the first poster in this thread might want to consider removing the active link and keeping the info. Just a thought.

This person has been doing this for weeks. I had him banned at Goodreads for creating fake accounts, fake reviews, and threatening authors using the Goodreads PM system (hence their new cyber bullying policy). He began the nightmare back in August and attacked 50 authors, which is when they began contacting me. I advised to "ignore" and not engage. Unfortunately, the people who engaged and left comments were then attacked. The cowardly poster has two twitter accounts and has conversations with himself about being "ruined" and "ruining" others. He's got tons of websites set up and they all are copied and pasted from the Wordpress site--all set up with accounts not self-hosted. It's easy to accuse with no basis when you are anonymous. I think if you look around for an indie author who writes fantasy/children's work and is disgruntled about reviews being removed on his books (because he faked them) and being caught faking awards you may find the culprit. Just sayin'.  But hell, jealousy is the highest form of flattery and all that.

Russell, thanks for posting about me. That was very kind of you xox

PS: It's 1am and I suck at editing - so if there are typos, my apologies :)

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Did the site mention John Locke, who actually has bought reviews? Did he just not use Fiverr? Maybe that's okay, then.

People just love to stir up crap. And those folks on that site are not journalists. Good grief.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wow. Leave the board for a few days and look what happens.
At least there are people out there that care to mention it to the authors here. That means there are people that really read their books. Wahoo! Wanted to name a positive.  8)

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Melissa Foster said:
I think if you look around for an indie author who writes fantasy/children's work and is disgruntled about reviews being removed on his books (because he faked them) and being caught faking awards you may find the culprit. Just sayin'.
D*mn! Rumbled! OK, I admit it, it was me. I couldn't even get anyone to review my books if I paid them so I took it out on the rest of you. I'm sitting here in my island lair and I'm going to keep on doing it until you pay me ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

[Insert pic of Dr Evil here]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
emilycantore said:
They completely miss the point that fake reviewers who sell their services on Fiverr do write a bunch of one and two-line reviews to built the credibility of their reviewing account. And they always review well-known books. So it's not unusual for fake reviews to appear on best-selling titles.

I have one right now who reviewed a few of my books that I'm fairly sure is a fake: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AYU9LBZVMAE44/ref=cm_pdp_rev_all?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

I guess if this person turns up as a Fiverr reviewer later on it can be claimed I paid for those reviews...
This might explain why reviews go missing for authors who don't buy or solicit reviews. I've had dozens of reviews disappear in purges, and I always assumed it was other authors leaving an honest review on a book they enjoyed, but in their genre and thus violating some policy. But if what you're saying is true, it could have been illegitimate 4 and 5-star reviews added on to make paid reviews look legit.

Even if this wasn't the case, it's a good frame of reference. You can choose not to feel crazy or upset when reviews go missing. Maybe they were bogus!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So who can afford to buy 500 reviews? LOL! Certainly not me, I've not even got 50 for any of my books, the most I think is 12 for the one book. I don't think I'm on the list, maybe I need more reviews than that to be on this troll's radar.

I've reviewed books long before I wrote them, I still review them. I get review from netgalley, the author or publisher, blog tour organiser and amazon vine. But they aren't fake. I don't get paid for them or anything like that, just my opinion, and no they weren't all glowing reviews ;) But that's how reviews have been done for years - the reviewer gets a complimentary copy or galley, how else are they supposed to review it? If every reviewer was expected to pay for all those books, reviews would soon fall off.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts