Kindle Forum banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
My sympathies to those affected, and a microsecond's sigh of relief that I am a long way--perhaps light years--from being on any such list.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
cherylktardif said:
There is one thing we can all do, and that's report the blog for abuse (defamation). Not sure if Wordpress will remove it, but I think there's a good chance. I have already done so. http://en.wordpress.com/abuse/
Done. I may not be on that list, but this really bugs me. I'm not particularly successful, but even I was recently the victim of a nasty troll blog post. Yes, we should ignore these kinds of folks, but my first reaction was a stomach ache that wouldn't go away for several hours. It's amazing to me that some folks are cruel just for the fun of it.

So yeah, put me in the camp of those who are not envying those on the list, even if it means I don't have the 500 reviews to make it there. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
This isn't going to get any steam. Don't worry about it.
There is a new plagiarism scandal breaking for a bestselling author, so I'm sure everyones energy is going to be there.
Also, readers really don't care about stuff like this.
This is more damaging to the writers relationship with other writers than anything.
Honestly if a book was good, I wouldn't care if they bought reviews.
Also, I only pay attention to in depth reviews either way.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I was torn about this issue at first because a few of the names are authors I have had private go arounds about ethics and book marketing. There's a whole group of us who have been burned by this person and privately we shared the link thinking "Finally, xxxxx is being called out!" But then I got to looking at the REST of the posts and saw a number of names on there that aren't even authors, they are people with book review sites who review a bunch of indie books all the time. It doesn't make them shills or sock puppets, it makes them book reviewers. We all know it's not by merit books and movies get reviews in the major publications, if by networking and yes, sometimes, from an exchange of money.

Anyway, since I HAVE readers are my disposal, I wrote this to try to help stop the message that all indies are unethical, review buying people. My name isn't on the list (and yes, like previous posters, part of me kind of wished it was... LOL, all press is good press, LOL) so I can't be accused of protesting too much etc. The reality is most readers don't even know that if I pay $50, I can say my book was considered for a Pulitzer Prize...

http://thecheapebook.com/live/fake-ebook-reviews-and-how-to-stop-them/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Karma is a b*tch, and the owner of that website is about to find that out.
A concerned citizen contacted Fiverr's legal department and received the following verification of the false accusations. Please share this publicly and stop the hatred! I've removed her name to protect her from being attacked as we were.

See, most people ARE good :) xox

To: K (Name removed to protect from future attacks)
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Sharing Private Fiverr Correspondence Online

Dear K,

Thank you for reporting this. This blog is a complete fake, including the "employee" who was never employed at Fiverr and the information provided in the blog, thus there is no breach of privacy since it is not real information. We do not promote reviews and never had employees promote reviews for us, and the users mentioned on the blog are not known to us. We do appreciate the fact that you took the time to alert us to this slanderous content.

Best regards,

Fiverr Legal Department

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM, K wrote:
Hello- I just wanted to alert you to the fact that this person is sharing private correspondence that he obtain while employed with your company on his blog. I believe this is against your privacy policy and may even be illegal.

(FULL ACTIVE LINK REMOVED TO KEEP FROM DRIVING TRAFFIC TO THEIR SITE) Zon Alert Wordpress

K.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Follow the trail of who alerted who to the site and soon you'll have the culprit. The site is so obscure, there's no chance someone tripped over it accidentally.  Someone had to push this, knowing it would get linked in places like KB.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
So, reading that list, nearly every indie or hybrid author who has had any level of success is apparently guilty of buying reviews. There are a handful of names missing, but still. Are we then supposed to believe the only way to be a successful indie is by purchasing reviews?

Pfft. Whatever. I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Even if my name were on the list, I'd probably ignore it.

However, Melissa, as you were singled out time and time again, good job on dealing with it.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Melissa Foster said:
Karma is a b*tch, and the owner of that website is about to find that out.
A concerned citizen contacted Fiverr's legal department and received the following verification of the false accusations. Please share this publicly and stop the hatred! I've removed her name to protect her from being attacked as we were.

See, most people ARE good :) xox

To: K (Name removed to protect from future attacks)
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Sharing Private Fiverr Correspondence Online

Dear K,

Thank you for reporting this. This blog is a complete fake, including the "employee" who was never employed at Fiverr and the information provided in the blog, thus there is no breach of privacy since it is not real information. We do not promote reviews and never had employees promote reviews for us, and the users mentioned on the blog are not known to us. We do appreciate the fact that you took the time to alert us to this slanderous content.

Best regards,

Fiverr Legal Department

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM, K wrote:
Hello- I just wanted to alert you to the fact that this person is sharing private correspondence that he obtain while employed with your company on his blog. I believe this is against your privacy policy and may even be illegal.

(FULL ACTIVE LINK REMOVED TO KEEP FROM DRIVING TRAFFIC TO THEIR SITE) Zon Alert Wordpress

K.
Right now there are 19 bloggers who liked this article. I generally don't read this negative stuff. I hope someone notifies the bloggers who "liked" it, that this anonymous person is full of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Vrabinec, yes, that's what I hope my cyber investigator will do.

Ty, I'm the one who had him banned from Goodreads because he was threatening authors using their PM system and he was posting fake reviews from fake accounts - and naming authors as fraud, etc. I have a big social media following, so I'm a draw (unfortunately at times like these). I ignored the first few attacks on me personally and he didn't like that. So he went bigger by including everyone else, hoping someone would post it and they did. So...here we are.

My goal now is to expose him and shut him down. He will be a nice example of why cowards/bulllies can't win.

·
Registered
36 Posts
LisaGraceBooks said:
Right now there are 19 bloggers who liked this article. I generally don't read this negative stuff. I hope someone notifies the bloggers who "liked" it, that this anonymous person is full of it.
We don't know how many of those "bloggers" are his sock puppets either

·
Registered
36 Posts
DarkScribe said:
It apparently is not one person, there are several claiming credit. Although the stated purpose behind their actions seem valid and above board, the reality is that they are making accusations founded on little more than guesswork. There is definitely some undisclosed angst involved regarding Melissa and one or two others.
Yes, I had him banned from Goodreads (well, his sock puppet accounts anyway)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Since it's award season maybe KB should have a Linkbait award. I'm not sure how this website would do, pretty tough competition this year, considering the number of "All you indies still suck - please click my links" blog posts we've seen. ::)

·
Registered
461 Posts
vrabinec said:
Follow the trail of who alerted who to the site and soon you'll have the culprit. The site is so obscure, there's no chance someone tripped over it accidentally. Someone had to push this, knowing it would get linked in places like KB.
I was thinking this as well... someone pushed this out there and is on a vendetta. For what? I'm guessing for not being a popular author.

Sad sad sad. Annnnnnnnnd pathetic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shane Ward said:
The only place this will be alive is here, and we all know how fast a topic vanishes from the screen into the pit of thousands of topics... It will blow over, then everyone will forget....
It's being posted more widely now. It's on Dear Author, which has a huge reader base.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Courtney Milan said:
If you want to demonstrate that Konrath bought a 10,000 pack of reviews, take a screenshot showing where J.A. Konrath purchased them. Don't make insinuations about some vague guilt just because someone has a review done by someone who was done something shady.
I'm sitting at my desk and laughing. Out of curiosity, I checked out fiverr.com, and apparently you can buy reviews for five bucks each. Then I looked at how many reviewers list their services on fiverr.and found less than thirty.

So 30 people wrote 10,000 reviews for me? How is that even possible? How could anyone actually believe that?

What's especially amusing is that Author Central lets you check how many reviews you have. As of today, I only have 9108 reviews for my books, not the purported 10,000.

Not only is the dude who made that accusation a liar, but he's a bad liar. When lying, at least get the numbers straight.

I've never spent a penny buying reviews, let alone $50k. I've blogged about this at length. And the very idea of 30 people writing over 26,500 reviews for all the authors who were accused is preposterous.

I'm tempted, just for kicks, to take an idea a friend of mine had and offer $1000 to whoever can give me the name and address of the person who wrote that fiverr post. I bet someone knows who it is, or some hacker can figure it out.

I don't buy reviews. But I do buy legal muscle, and have three really scary lawyers on retainer. It might be fun to terrify the holy hell out of that pinhead.

If someone wants to attack me, attack the things I've actually done. And support it with evidence. And sign your name to it.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Jack Kilborn said:
I'm tempted, just for kicks, to take an idea a friend of mine had and offer $1000 to whoever can give me the name and address of the person who wrote that fiverr post. I bet someone knows who it is, or some hacker can figure it out.
I'm going to pay someone on fiver.com $5.00 to find out who it is, give you the info. and pocket the $995. ;)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Jack Kilborn said:

I don't buy reviews. But I do buy legal muscle, and have three really scary lawyers on retainer. It might be fun to terrify the holy hell out of that pinhead.

If someone wants to attack me, attack the things I've actually done. And support it with evidence. And sign your name to it.
Problem with this is, it's like playing a game of Whack-a-Mole. Your grand would be better spent treating yourself to a nice dinner and a show. In Paris. Where you can laugh at the pathetic mor0n as s/he slips ever further into obscurity.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts