Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I fully understand the CoinStar and Amazon gift card "arrangement".
I will have a new hobby of saving and exchanging my coins.

For those like be that did not fully understand...

As long as you make the exchange at the CoinStar machine for an Amazon "gift card" you DO NOT pay any percentage to CoinStar for the automated counting of your change! You get FULL CREDIT by way of your Amazon Gift Card.

Still waiting for shipment of Kindle 2, but today I am going to get my first Gift Card to be used EXCLUSIVELY for Kindle reading content!

Love this board!
Eric

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Keep in mind that not all Coinstar machines offer the giftcard option. Go to www.coinstar.com to find a machine in your area that does.

L

·
Registered
426 Posts
Very true.  Look it up before you make the trip.

Also, they take paper bills, at least the ones around here do.  So if you don't want to keep hitting your credit card for all those little charges you can convert paper bills to an Amazon gift card as well.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DawnOfChaos said:
Very true. Look it up before you make the trip.

Also, they take paper bills, at least the ones around here do. So if you don't want to keep hitting your credit card for all those little charges you can convert paper bills to an Amazon gift card as well.
Thanks guys (and gals) I did and I am surrounded by CS machines and it seems everyone of them do the gift card thingie!

Happy Eric! VERY...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mwvickers said:
The CoinStar Web site says it gives an "e-certificate." What is that and how does it work?
It's a piece of paper that looks like a receipt with a code number on it. You go to your Amazon account and type in the code and it gets applied as a gift certificate balance.

I think they explain it that way so you don't expect to get a nice looking plastic card that you could give as a gift. This is a very ordinary looking receipt but it is worth money.

L

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Just follow the instructions on the touch screen, at the prompt touch e-certificate, it will then give you various retailer options, touch the Amazon logo and then dump you coins (my does not take bills).  When it is done counting it will ask you again if you want the Amazon certificate.  When you tell it yes, it will print out a receipt (the e-certificate) with a confirmation number (combination of numbers and letters).  
When you get home go to the Manage Your Account section on the computer and choose add an e-certificate or gift card, put the confirmation number in the box, hit enter and Wallah - it tells you that you have $xx.xx on your account.  When you buy something from Amazon it will ALWAYS take it from your gift card/e-certificate balance first before charging a linked credit card.  You can also easily check your balance anytime in the same spot!  IT'S GREAT!!!

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Obviously didn't preview my post - sorry about the spelling (you/your my/mine) errors - hope it was still understandable!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Be careful - there's a minimum amount of change required for gift cards/certificates.  I believe the minimum is $5.  I got caught in this while dumping a jar of change before I moved.  It was mostly pennies, so it didn't add up to much, but I was right under the $5 limit and had to pay the coin counting fee and not get a gift certificate.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
There is no percentage or fee charged when you are getting an e-certificate - you get full credit of all money you put in.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
It seems like they don't take a combination of coins and bills.  The machine asks me to press the button for one or the other.  There's also a slot to swipe a credit/debit card.  I haven't tried that one, but if I do, it will be with my debit card. 

If your machine only takes coins, you can always go to the bank and get a couple of rolls of change.  I did that when I didn't have enough coins by the first of the month to get the amount I wanted. 

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
That's right - just posted about this on the other thread about how much you spent in the first few days you had your kindle.  I just take my puny 4-8 hour/week paychecks to the bank and ask them to cash them in all change and unroll the coins into the coinstar machine!  I would love a machine that takes bills or debit cards to get the certificate.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ELDogStar said:
Thanks guys (and gals) I did and I am surrounded by CS machines and it seems everyone of them do the gift card thingie!

Happy Eric! VERY...
I got:

$55.31

In Amazon Credit!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anju said:
WOW - that's great! wanna share?
I suspect you may be too young for me to share my fortune with.
It might appear unseemly.

Have a great day, (kindle boards been acting up today)
Eric

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yay!  Another way to feed my addiction!  And very close to home.  Only problem is now my kiddos are going to wonder where all of Mom's change went to when the dig around my purse for it! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the information - I found a machine in a convenient location and plan to convert some of my change for either a gift card or e-cert. I've been avoiding some of the low-price books on Amazon because I didn't want to put them on my credit card -- this gives me a nice solution.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ELDogStar said:
I suspect you may be too young for me to share my fortune with.
It might appear unseemly.

Have a great day, (kindle boards been acting up today)
Eric
Eric - you are my hero! I'm an official geezerette so you just made my day :-*

1 - 20 of 797 Posts