1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FREE Today & Tomorrow Nov 18th & 19th at Amazon

FREE Friday - May 9th at Amazon

by Edward C. Patterson
Kindleboard Profile for Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?
With the new and exciting world of Kindles and Print-on-Demand (POD), Independent Publishing is becoming an enticing choice and a viable alternative to traditional publishing. The old days of "self-publishing and vanity presses" are over. Indie Authors are giving readers a wide variety of quality reads in all genres. Are you unsure of how to go about it? Do you crave to know the best options? What are the pitfalls? From discussions of picking up the traditional process and bringing it home, to setting up files for Amazon's Kindle and POD, "Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?" provides tips and ideas, set-by-steps and coaching on quality control. Edward C. Patterson has successfully published twenty-two works with twelve in the pipeline. In addition to the title article, this work includes three other craft discussions: "Writing Good Stories","The Novelization Process", and "Revision vs. Re-Vision", an extensive guide to revising a novel. Whether you are new to publishing or an established author, the opinions expressed and experiences shared in this book should stimulate your curiosity and provide answers to questions you might not have asked.[/b]

A snippet

"The First Step is Validation

Becoming an Indie Author means, you must take all the responsibility for yourself in print (or e-book). That means that all the things that a traditional publisher would give you if they weren't in such a precarious position to take on one in 80,000. The first of these responsibilities is a hard one. The HARDEST one. Is your work publishable? (Not marketable - that's a different question and has nothing to do with writing). Is your work good enough? Too many writers think that every word they write is a blessing from Mt. Olympus. In fact, most writers think they are perfection - first draft is magic, immaculate - eat your heart out Stephen King. However, the fact is, if you want your work published, you need to validate your talent. Not with your friends and family either, because they will tell you that you're the next J.K. Rowling - and they will never buy your books. (Rule of the Jungle - Friends and Family do not buy your books). What you need is the opinions of 1) perfect strangers - beta-readers, and 2) a professional editor, agent, or an annotated rejection from one of the Dead-Tree houses (a fond, but catty name that Indie Authors have coined for traditional publishers)."

Enjoy
Edward C. Patterson

For the author in everyone, now comes something completely different:

It covers: (Some have asked) - Kindle formatting, Indie Publishing rules and advice, CreateSpace (and Lulu's on-line software for galleys), promotion and there's 50 pages on tips for revisiing novels.

Table of Contents

Part I
Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?

Are You Self-Published, an Indie Author, or just waitin' around?
The First Step is Validation
We Know Why You Write - So Why Do You want to be Published?
Editting - Grandma and Spieling Countt
Publishing Trends - Sunrise and Sunset
Deciding What to Publish
Just in Time, I found you Just in Time
Manuscript Preparation - One
Adding Pages for Kindle Manuscript Preparation
Launching Your Masterpiece on the Kindle (Start Your Engines)
Launching Your Manuscript on the Kindle Let's Do It
Pieces of Eight - The Amazon Kindle Page (Kindle)
Preparing Your Manuscript for CreateSpace
Lulu's Book Wizard
Forwad March into Print - CreateSpace
The Short Waiting Game
Promoting Yourself on the Amazon Discussion Groups
Working the On-line Streets
Your Book and the Public
It's a Wrap

Part II
Articles on Writing

Writing Good Stories

The Novelization process

Revision vs. Re-vision

Approaching Revisions
Rethinking and Revising Imagery in Novels
Revising the Horror of Stage Directions
Maintaining and Violating POV in a Novel
Logic vs. Illogic - Hanging the Lanterns
How to End a Novel
Sound and Sense - Shelley vs. Dickens

What Readers say about Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?

"If you're thinking of writing a book, if you're tired of the traditional publisher slush-piles, if you want to improve your writing or your promotions, or if you want to see how wacky authors think, get this book and learn. You won't be sorry. "

"Edward C. Patterson gives invaluable tips for determining whether a book is actually ready to publish, then he tells exactly how to get the manuscript formatted for ebook and POD. The second half of the book is filled with writing tips that prospective authors can use to polish their work before publishing. You can't go wrong with this book. Buy it today and get your manuscript in print in a matter of weeks, not years."

"If you're thinking about self publishing or new to the business, do yourself a favor and read "Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?" before you step onto that lonely path alone. "

"If I had read this book earlier it would have saved me untold hours of Googling and worrying"

"Edward Patterson writes with intelligence, humor and considerable knowledge of the industry. "

"The writer addresses the reader in a conversational fashion - this is readily acceptable and helps make his advice clear."

Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O9BERY

Edward C. Patterson
Author of The Jade Owl Legacy Series

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me clarify the word FREE. I am not out to sell a gijillion copies of this work. It's a give back to the Indie authoring world. I realized that many readers would be interested in the possibility of publishing their own works and look upon it as an ivory tower impossibility. To that I say, BULLoney and offer my book for the nominal $ ,99, but since we put our money where our mouth is, anyone who wants it for free need only contact me and ask. [email protected]

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Response has been good, so I expect a flock of new writers launching their own creative wonders out there on Kindle and through CreteSpace.

Edward C. Patterson
Glad to help

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course it does, if you also mean to bundle them up and publish them on Kindle or in print at CreateSpace. That's what the book helps you do.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I can't keep up with the free requests. Good for you all. I loved writing this book and I love sharing it.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the opening shot over the bow sprint:

The First Step is Validation

Becoming an Indie Author means, you must take all the responsibility for yourself in print (or e-book). That means that all the things that a traditional publisher would give you if they weren't in such a precarious position to take on one in 80,000. The first of these responsibilities is a hard one. The HARDEST one. Is your work publishable? (Not marketable - that's a different question and has nothing to do with writing). Is your work good enough? Too many writers think that every word they write is a blessing from Mt. Olympus. In fact, most writers think they are perfection - first draft is magic, immaculate - eat your heart out Stephen King. However, the fact is, if you want your work published, you need to validate your talent. Not with your friends and family either, because they will tell you that you're the next J.K. Rowling - and they will never buy your books. (Rule of the Jungle - Friends and Family do not buy your books). What you need is the opinions of 1) perfect strangers - beta-readers, and 2) a professional editor, agent, or an annotated rejection from one of the Dead-Tree houses (a fond, but catty name that Indie Authors have coined for traditional publishers).

from Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher? by

Edward C Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This book has two sections - one for Indie Publishing and the second for writing a Novel and the revision process. Here's a selection from the second section:

The Novelization Process

When my grandmother gave me a typewriter in the days of yore, I never thought of writing as a process. In fact, I never considered writing as an element in a process called authoring. Who would, until you've done it? I was always amazed by the authors who wrote complex stories; journeys to the ends of the earth, with hundreds of characters and locations and subplots, and still managed to see clear to a cogent, comprehensive work. How did all that genius spill out of quills into the world's libraries and collective imaginations? The answer I only discovered now, after authoring three epic works (with plenty left in the pipeline). In the doing is the learning. The PROCESS.

I also learned that every author develops their own process. These processes are all akin, but cleave to personal temperaments, craft proficiency, schedules and styles. Some are free form and flimsy. Others are nattered and painterly. All depend on one thing: dedication to writing daily.

My process begins with several weeks (sometimes months) of thinking about a subject. THE RULE BOOKS say: write it down or you'll forget it. Carry a notepad around. That doesn't work for me. If a subject is forgotten, it was forgettable. If it comes back a few times, its worthy of consideration. There are many things the BOOKS say that I disregard, but what surprises me is that many writers fail in their novelizations because they don't really know what a novel is. My definition is: A Novel is a story that starts in the author's imagination and takes seed in the reader's imagination, germinating into a complete and satisfying experience for both. Of course, this definition depends on a corollary definition. What is a story? Well, here's what I've come to learn. A story is a reflection of character reactions and development to setting, organics and a series of events. That covers all the main elements of a novel, but as a reflection, it places the one element that many writers omit-the reader's imagination and participation in the realization of the piece. Many authors forget this. They chug out a plot like the little engine that couldn't-cars filled with places and characters, who are all aboard for the ride, but never are given the chance to drive the train.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This work started as a blog to help Indie Authors and mushroomed o a book. It is my contribution back to te community that has supported my success. You can either buy it or send me an email [email protected] and I'll send  you a .pdf. It would be my pleasure. I just recieved a email from aa Indie author that told me they were buying the papeback (3.99) because they wanted it handy on the shelf to lend out to friends. I'm both flattered and honored.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
132 Posts
Edward C. Patterson said:
During July you can get Are You Still . . . for free at Smashwords.co during the Summer madness sale.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/316

Edward C. Patterson
I just got this, Ed, even though I already publish through CreateSpace and kindle. I am no where near the proficiency I wish. Hopefully this will add to my education. Thanks for the summer madness thing. It is greatly appreciated.

Tanner

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thaks and enjoy Tanner. Anyone who has questions on this suff feel free to ask, both on the technical aspect (things change rapidly) or in the craft arena, feel free to ask.

Ed Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New review - Five stars (not on Amazon.com)

Review by: Jess C Scott on Jul. 16, 2009 :
I didn't really know of the term "Indie Author", until reading this (I always thought it meant exactly the same thing as being "Self-Published", lol).

I've already gone through the whole PDF uploading onto CreateSpace (for print), as well as uploading a file onto Kindle -- if you're a newbie to all that kind of stuff, Mr. Patterson will take you through the steps in an engaging, lively writing style.

I, personally, shall have to work on the networking part [including getting onto author/reader forums, and getting some purchases/rankings/reviews going on Amazon (eventually!)].

Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/316

Thank you Jess
Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Thank you, Edward.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts