Kindle Forum banner

You have two votes! Vote once for Format and once for Book

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this may have already been discussed and may sound crazy to some but how about an ongoing klub with the selection being made from a price grouping, i.e. one time it has to be a free book, then $.01-1.00, then $1.01-2.00, $2.01-3.00 and so on until we get to the $9.01-9.99 range? If it was a quarterly thing that would last almost 3 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Not a bad idea, but the problem is the price of books keeps changing.  We've seen books go from $6-7, down to under $2, and then the price seems to creep back up. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I thought of that. There would have to be a narrow window for selecting the book to read. Maybe have 1 week for people to make suggestions and on the last day take a vote or else at the cutoff just count how many times a book is suggested and go with the one with the most suggestions. If the price had jumped we could go with the runner up. Somebody else might come up with a better suggestion.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
LDB, sounds like an idea!  Are you willing to be a leader?  Or someone else?  We've talked before about having a book club based on Free Books.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure about being a leader, at least till I get more experience on the board and with book klub participation but I will throw out the first suspects. I don't know how to do that where it shows the covers so this is just the link to each page.

--added the covers. Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
LDB said:
I'm not sure about being a leader, at least till I get more experience on the board and with book klub participation but I will throw out the first suspects. I don't know how to do that where it shows the covers so this is just the link to each page.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Foreign-Correspondent-A-Novel/dp/B000GCFW00/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1229703950&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Caught-Stealing/dp/B000FC1LSI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1229703950&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/The-Whiskey-Rebels-A-Novel/dp/B0015DYJVW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1229703950&sr=1-5
I finished Caught Stealing yesterday, it was a good read but there is cursing and GD and F*** are used numerous times. Some people may find this offensive so thought I would throw it out there.

I have Whiskey River on my wish list and can't wait to read it, would love to participate in a bookklub with it.

Thanks for the post LDB!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
LDB said:
I'm not sure about being a leader, at least till I get more experience on the board and with book klub participation but I will throw out the first suspects. I don't know how to do that where it shows the covers so this is just the link to each page.

--added the covers. Betsy
LDB we have a free book thread in The Book Corner. I know Caught Stealing had been posted there previously. I took the liberty of linking Whiskey Rebels so our members can get it while it is free. I gave the credit to you rightfully so, what a great find. Thank you!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Obviously there is a lot of interest in a Free Book Club, and thanks for throwing out some ideas for books.

Here's what I'm thinking.  I'll start another thread with a poll with the book ideas we have so far, and add any other suggestions, and then merge this one into it so that they are all together.  Then we can vote on a book.  We also need to decide when to start this.

If this is going to be a go, we need someone to moderate the first book.  To see what this entails, see the sticky Book Club Guidelines.  Basically, the leader posts the questions (I have a set of generic questions if we can't find questions specific to the book) and sets the schedule and tries to keep the conversation moving.  As Book Club moderator, I will help as much as I can and will assist in keeping order.   ;D

Bear in mind that with the exception of Gertie, leading our first book club, none of us have done this before, so unless Gertie sets some kind of impossible standard, no one is going to notice or comment on your performance as leader (paybacks are, well, paybacks.   ::) ).

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Bear in mind that with the exception of Gertie, leading our first book club, none of us have done this before, so unless Gertie sets some kind of impossible standard, no one is going to notice or comment on your performance as leader (paybacks are, well, paybacks. ::) ).

Betsy
Is that impossibly high or impossibly low standards? If it's the latter, I'm your gal. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if there's enough flexibility in the scheduling for me to work around it with my random driving schedule I'll be glad to give it a try, with lots of help from "yous guys" that have been around longer. Just point me in the right direction for getting started and where is that list of questions as a starter?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
LDB said:
Well, if there's enough flexibility in the scheduling for me to work around it with my random driving schedule I'll be glad to give it a try, with lots of help from "yous guys" that have been around longer. Just point me in the right direction for getting started and where is that list of questions as a starter?
Awesome LDB! I want to lead one too but I am going to wait until after the first ones are over. I will learn from you guys mistakes. ;D Just kidding, I admire all of you for steping up to the plate! It will be fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Awesome LDB! I want to lead one too but I am going to wait until after the first ones are over. I will learn from you guys mistakes. ;D Just kidding, I admire all of you for steping up to the plate! It will be fun.
LDB said:
Just watch mine and you'll have the equivalent of a PhD before I'm finished.
See, I was just going to say something like that but you beat me to it. It's getting tougher and tougher to keep everyone's expectations of the Klub leaders (especially me) really low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I love the idea of this book club, too. No specific genre, changing every time, could really open the readers up to lots of new authors we never would have tried before. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
A few days ago I posted in the Amazon Customer discussions about having a free book club, so I'm glad that I'm not the only one interested in that sort of thing. I'd also be willing to be a leader, though I've never lead a book club before.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
nebulinda said:
A few days ago I posted in the Amazon Customer discussions about having a free book club, so I'm glad that I'm not the only one interested in that sort of thing. I'd also be willing to be a leader, though I've never lead a book club before.
Nebulinda! Thank you!

Your name is now engraved in stone as a future leader of a book klub. You may begin working now to lower expectations.

Betsy
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top