Kindle Forum banner
1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

1939: The World We Left Behind (The Second World War Book 1)

History is based on choices, not truth.

The way we see things now is not always how they looked at the time. The task Robert Kee set himself in his chronicle of 1939 was to cut across the demarcation lines of history, to capture the way people perceived the events of the time as they unfolded.

Turning to the newspapers of the day, Kee revives for us a world in which the Second World War is not yet a certainty — a world which still has countless other concerns which have not yet been dwarfed into insignificance by the European emergency — a world in which Chamberlain is still to many a credible leader, and Churchill and Roosevelt, though giants in waiting, are less than monumental.

In this thrilling account Kee explores life in the calm before the storm of 1939. Did the people of Britain see war coming? Or did the world change overnight, from stability to deadly conflict?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

Ulysses Exposed: A Dark Urban Fantasy (Blaire Thorne Book 1)

Secrets always reveal themselves. As I discover more of who I am, I realize I may be the monster everyone warned me about...
I should have died. Instead, I wake with strangers beside me in an unknown place and healed from my near-fatal wounds.

They say I have no powers, that I'm only human. But I have amnesia and no longer able to mask who I truly am and now everybody knows what I am.

I'm no longer safe.

Can I trust the vampire who saved my life? And can the were-leopard tasked with helping me understand my past, accept me for who I really am before the threat returns to finish what they started?

Ulysses Exposed is a dark adult urban fantasy with a hint of romance.

Fans of True Blood will be transported into a new world where nothing is as it seems.

Reader discretion is advised, recommended ages 17+ due to language and sexual content.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

The Earthling (Soldiers of Earthrise Book 1)

From million-copy bestseller Daniel Arenson comes THE EARTHLING, a sweeping tale of courage, honor, and terror among the stars.

Jon Taylor is an Earthling. He doesn't care much about space. At least until his brother dies on Bahay, a war-torn planet many light-years away.

After the funeral, Jon joins the army. He learns to kill. And he flies to Bahay, sworn to avenge his brother.

Centuries ago, Filipino colonists arrived on Bahay to build a utopia. But this world has become a nightmare. Jon finds himself in a dizzying dreamscape, a world of dark jungles and neon slums, of ruthless guerrillas and intoxicating bargirls, of blood-soaked battlefields and glittering brothels. Here on Bahay, a man can lose his life in the jungle, lose his sanity in the gleaming drug dens, or lose his heart to a local girl with a sweet smile and knife behind her back.

On Bahay, nothing is as it seems. In this place of strange dreams and secrets, Jon hunts the man who killed his brother. But he learns that revenge always comes with a price...

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

Corktown (Abby Kane FBI Thriller Book 1)

They locked him up seven years ago. He’s still killing.

Executives from Detroit’s automakers are being mutilated, and all signs point to a serial killer known as the Doctor. But there’s a problem with that. Detroit Police put him away a long time ago.

Fiery FBI agent Abby Kane is tasked with figuring out how this madman can kill again. When she visits the Doctor behind bars, he swears he’s innocent and not the psychopath everyone thinks he is. Oddly enough, Abby believes him.

To prove the Doctor’s innocence, Abby investigates the case that put him behind bars and discovers evidence of a cover-up. She soon finds herself marked as enemy number one by the city’s power players. Even the executives who are being targeted by the killer want her silenced. The pressure only intensifies when Abby believes the real killer is connected to the automakers. Can Abby untangle the web of lies before she’s silenced for good?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

Water Under The Bridge: A Psychological Thriller (The Water Trilogy Book 1)

Dexter meets Mrs. and Mrs. Smith. They're the perfect match. But neither are they who they say they are...

As a woman who feels her clock ticking every single moment of the day, former bad girl Kate Anderson is desperate to reinvent herself. So when she sees a handsome stranger walking toward her, she feels it in her bones, there's no time like the present. He's the one.

Kate vows to do whatever it takes to have what she wants, even if that something is becoming someone else. Now, ten pounds thinner, armed with a new name, and a plan, she's this close to living the perfect life she's created in her mind.

But Kate has secrets.

And too bad for her, that handsome stranger has a few of his own.

With twists and turns you won't see coming, Water Under The Bridge examines the pressure that many women feel to "have it all" and introduces a protagonist whose hard edges and cutthroat ambition will leave you questioning your judgment and straddling the line between what's right and wrong.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

I'm Still Here: A Thrilling Suspense Novel

The Amazon Charts bestselling author of Lost Girls delivers a suspenseful thriller that will keep you turning pages and guessing until the end.

Still haunted by her brother's disappearance and the high profile murder trial that gripped the nation, New York homicide detective, Kara Walker deals with survivor's guilt by tracking down killers. But as the anniversary of her brothers abduction approaches, Kara receives news of her mother's death and is drawn back to her rural hometown in the Olympic Peninsula to tie up loose ends. She soon makes a shocking discovery that brings into question the facts surrounding her brother's case, her mother's obsession, and the man who pled not guilty.

In a race against time to find the real killer, Kara must risk losing her mind, jeopardize the safety of those close and face her darkest fear, all to answer the question -- who is truly innocent?

Full of twists and turns that keep you guessing, I'm Still Here delivers a captivating mystery thriller that forces you to question how far you would go to solve the disappearance of a loved one.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

The Compact History of the Revolutionary War (Compact Histories Book 1)

The Boston Tea Party. Brandywine. Germantown. Bunker Hill. Lexington. Saratoga. Charleston. George Washington. Paul Revere. Daniel Boone. Benedict Arnold: these are just a handful of the people and battles that shaped the war that birthed a nation.

The American Revolutionary War is such an important event in world history that it can be hard to separate fact from fiction. But military historians R. Ernest Dupuy and Trevor N. Dupuy set out to do just that, busting the myths to uncover the truth behind the momentous events that saw a ragtag crowd of reluctant amateurs take on and beat the extraordinary military power of the British Empire.

This book is a fascinating account of the unfolding of the war, painting a background in which Britain ruled the waves until they imposed taxes on the Thirteen Colonies, leading to widespread indignation. The rest, as they say, is history…

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

Destination 9/11: Director of Intelligence on 9/11 Speaks Out for the First Time

Brigadier General Kelvin Coppock skilfully weaves three concurring narratives: USA's strategic passage through The Cold War, 'blindly' on course for a potential nuclear disaster; how the conflict politics of the Middle East coalesced into violent Islamist Jihadism; and an unvarnished first-hand account of one man's personal trajectory towards the white-hot crucible of command, on the day that changed the world...

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Currently free.

Afghanistan: The Eye of a Storm

This is a personal account of military service in Afghanistan during the relatively calm 'eye of a storm' between the initial post 9/11 invasion and the intensification of the conflict. The focus then was on stabilization and development. The fighting never really stopped, and the sense of threat increases throughout the narrative. Although based in Kabul the author travelled extensively in the country in a way that few other military people were able to do. This warm and at times amusing account can be enjoyed by those with scant knowledge of military matters or Afghanistan. It is written in an accessible and chatty style. The narrative is punctuated with grainy sketches and has simple maps to orient the reader. There are shards of Afghan history and of the author’s earlier life and service. This is not a description of combat operations. It is an insightful and unusual perspective on Afghanistan and the immense challenges faced by its people and those who sought to help them. A short Afterword updates developments to the April 2021 announcement of troop withdrawal.

1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts