Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last week I ran a free book promotion on my 4th book, which was originally released in January. The promotion was over 4 days, and I paid for an advert on both Freebooksy and Fussy Librarian.

I achieved over 5000 downloads, and had just over 100 sales of my other 3 books (all priced at $0.99) KU results don’t look brilliant so far, but I’m confident I may just about make the money I spent on the adverts back.

Overall, I’m pleased with my results. It should result in a few more reviews on each book.

However, I’m not sure how to approach the release of my 5th book. Usually when I release them, I run a free book promotion immediately which on my 3rd book worked very well. It didn’t work so well with the 4th book, but obviously this second promotion has done better. I’ve had no luck with AMS ads.

Am I better releasing the 5th book and relying on Amazon to promote it, and saving the free book promotion for a later date?

·
Registered
573 Posts
An excellent giveaway, Freebooksy always knock it out of the park on a virgin run.

However, am I right in thinking from your post that you run the giveaway on the latest book each time? I've never heard of doing that. I only ever run free promos on first-in-series.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

Basically, when I released my first two books, I did quite well with KU page reads following free book promotions. I therefore assumed the free book promotion was a factor in getting KU page reads, so I repeated this with books 3 and 4.

Now I’m wondering if that strategy is wrong, and if the KU page reads are just a result of a book being a ‘new release’.

·
Registered
573 Posts
LMP2019 said:
Yes.

Basically, when I released my first two books, I did quite well with KU page reads following free book promotions. I therefore assumed the free book promotion was a factor in getting KU page reads, so I repeated this with books 3 and 4.

Now I'm wondering if that strategy is wrong, and if the KU page reads are just a result of a book being a 'new release'.
If it's working for you, it's working for you. However, the reason I never run free promos on sequels is it's potentially robbing sales from yourself, as some of those people who download it free for may well have gone on to buy it anyway after reading the earlier books.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gareth K Pengelly said:
If it's working for you, it's working for you. However, the reason I never run free promos on sequels is it's potentially robbing sales from yourself, as some of those people who download it free for may well have gone on to buy it anyway after reading the earlier books.
How often do you run a promotion on your first book?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I try to promote first book in series every three to six months. The bigger sites, like Freebooksy etc, seem to suffer greatly from diminishing returns. I've only had one Bookbub, so I can't comment on the diminishing returns on them yet.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My belief is that the goal of free and $0.99 is to get readers to try you out -- and then purchase your other books at full price. If you're setting all of your books at free or $0.99, that defeats the purpose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts