Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the new thread for Free Books;  a new thread will be created each month and stickied, older threads will be locked and unstickied but will still be available for reference.  Members should be aware, however, that Free books on Amazon do not always remain free and should check prices before 1-clicking!

Betsy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was so excited to find a beautifully formatted Kindle-friendly version of the Chinese classic "Journey to the West" on a site called "Spontaneous Derivation"
http://www.spontaneousderivation.com/2008/12/27/new-on-kindle-december-21st-26th/. (Sorry - I don't know how to do the paste-in a cover thing, but it has a beautiful cover)

It tells the story of the "Monkey King", a Chinese folk hero whose adventures are as familiar to Chinese children as the Three Bears (OK, can you tell I don't have kids ;)) are to us. A recent Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie "The Forbidden Kingdom" tells part of the story too.

Don't be put off by its length - it makes great bedtime reading, one chapter per night.

Disclaimer:
(I am new to all of this, so if for some reason this is an "illegal" eBook, please excuse me)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GoldenDogMom--

Thanks for the link, I looked at it and it looks like a valid free book, so you're OK.  Good blog to know about, too, I don't know whether it's in our list of Blogs that Verena (pidgeon92) keeps, but I'll check!

Betsy

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
GoldenDogMom said:
I was so excited to find a beautifully formatted Kindle-friendly version of the Chinese classic "Journey to the West" on a site called "Spontaneous Derivation"
http://www.spontaneousderivation.com/2008/12/27/new-on-kindle-december-21st-26th/. (Sorry - I don't know how to do the paste-in a cover thing, but it has a beautiful cover)

It tells the story of the "Monkey King", a Chinese folk hero whose adventures are as familiar to Chinese children as the Three Bears (OK, can you tell I don't have kids ;)) are to us. A recent Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie "The Forbidden Kingdom" tells part of the story too.

Don't be put off by its length - it makes great bedtime reading, one chapter per night.

Disclaimer:
(I am new to all of this, so if for some reason this is an "illegal" eBook, please excuse me)
Hi and welcome GDM...nice to have you here.

Oh...memories of the Monkey King. I remember a show we did in grade school and it was The Monkey King. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

As far as copywrite goes...this folk tale was written so long ago...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks for the link, I looked at it and it looks like a valid free book, so you're OK. Good blog to know about, too, I don't know whether it's in our list of Blogs that Verena (pidgeon92) keeps, but I'll check!
I shall add it to the list.... Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,

I'm extremely new to the boards (and left a hello message in the Introductions forum). I'm the owner of the website that offers Journey to the West (and some others), and I'm very happy to see that others have found the book.

As for copyright, while the original Chinese is definitely no longer under copyright, language translations are possibly under copyright. The translation used in the free ebook is one of the few older translations that preserve the verse separate from the prose (instead of smushing everything into text), and even that was offered up by Silk Pagoda in HTML form under a Creative Commons License (2.5, attribute-noncommercial-remix allowed), albeit for free. I reformatted the text, did up a page of contents, and created a Kindle/Mobipocket version and an Epub version for the Sony Reader, and also released the result under the same license, for free.

The cover is one of the few illustrations from the Monkey King and is also public domain. This is a colored version I found on a .edu site a while back. Here it is (image links to flickr page):

Copyright is a walking landmine these days, and since I create ebooks for people to download for free, I've read over copyright law and err only on the side of safety. In fact, I wrote up a little list of steps to go through to check if something is under United States copyright, which is what applies to the files on my site, since they're stored on a U.S. server.

Interested folk can find a few more free books on my blog's Downloads page. I added the United States Constitution in December '08, and it's my most recent "proud-of" work.

There is one curiosity on the Downloads page. Only one fully copyright and non-creative-commons-remixable-license work exists there---Julian: A Christmas Story---which is there only after a discussion with the author for permission, once he viewed the work in progress and okay'ed it and all that. It was a finalist in the 2007 Hugo Awards for best novella. Probably that's the only time I'll ever be able to put up a copyrighted work. I tread the line very carefully and as respectfully as possible.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Arachne Jericho said:
Hello all,

I'm extremely new to the boards (and left a hello message in the Introductions forum). I'm the owner of the website that offers Journey to the West (and some others), and I'm very happy to see that others have found the book.

As for copyright, while the original Chinese is definitely no longer under copyright, language translations are possibly under copyright. The translation used in the free ebook is one of the few older translations that preserve the verse separate from the prose (instead of smushing everything into text), and even that was offered up by Silk Pagoda in HTML form under a Creative Commons License (2.5, attribute-noncommercial-remix allowed), albeit for free. I reformatted the text, did up a page of contents, and created a Kindle/Mobipocket version and an Epub version for the Sony Reader, and also released the result under the same license, for free.

The cover is one of the few illustrations from the Monkey King and is also public domain. This is a colored version I found on a .edu site a while back. Here it is (image links to flickr page):

Copyright is a walking landmine these days, and since I create ebooks for people to download for free, I've read over copyright law and err only on the side of safety. In fact, I wrote up a little list of steps to go through to check if something is under United States copyright, which is what applies to the files on my site, since they're stored on a U.S. server.

Interested folk can find a few more free books on my blog's Downloads page. I added the United States Constitution in December '08, and it's my most recent "proud-of" work.

There is one curiosity on the Downloads page. Only one fully copyright and non-creative-commons-remixable-license work exists there---Julian: A Christmas Story---which is there only after a discussion with the author for permission, once he viewed the work in progress and okay'ed it and all that. It was a finalist in the 2007 Hugo Awards for best novella. Probably that's the only time I'll ever be able to put up a copyrighted work. I tread the line very carefully and as respectfully as possible.
Hi and welcome again.

Thanks for taking the time and reformatting this story. I look forward to reading it. Also, thanks for the explanations.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Welcome and thank you!  I have always loved The Velveteen Rabbit and have given it to many kids.  I just downloaded it and my 8 yr. old gr8 nephew will be surprised to find it on my Kindle.    Yes I do let him use KINDLEABRA when he is visiting me and he has some books on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dori said:
Welcome and thank you! I have always loved The Velveteen Rabbit and have given it to many kids. I just downloaded it and my 8 yr. old gr8 nephew will be surprised to find it on my Kindle. Yes I do let him use KINDLEABRA when he is visiting me and he has some books on it.
I love that story so much also; finding a version online with graphics, and all in the public domain, was just irresistible. One thing I've been doing on the Kindle is buying up childhood classics to read over---young and older.

I'm still waiting for Watership Down....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arachne Jericho,

welcome to Kindleboards, and thanks for posting about the book.  I saw that it was published under a Creative Commons license--glad to hear the full explanation from you.  Love your blog/website, it's a great resource for Kindlers.

I read in another post that you've already found our t-shirts.  One-click is indeed dangerous!  We've also got Book Klubs starting this week in the Book Corner!  And I believe Verena has added your blog to our list of Kindle blogs!

Welcome again!

Betsy

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Arachne Jericho said:
Thanks for putting this up. I was intrigued by the story of the Monkey King from the bits they used in The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. I'm going to check out your site now to see what else you have. :) Welcome to Kindleboards!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have the Aesop Fables and Andersen Fairy Tales on Kindleabra for the 8 yr old also and many of the Dickens and others.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too was thrilled to see Velveteen Rabbit there! I don't know what happened to my DTB ....and I had it on audio at one point as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here is a free book. Its not Amazon so you have to click on the url not the picture. There is alot of different formats to choose from.

http://www.snowbooks.com/RobertFinn/

Being a thief makes it difficult to meet the right girl. And when you do, something always gets in the way. Like finding yourself trapped underground, caught in a shoot-out, with the police after you and only a supernatural killer to protect you. And if you somehow survive all that, you've still got to persuade her to part with her phone number. Underlife is a fast, short, sweet, tense runaway train of a thriller.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Re:  Underlife.  The PDF seems to be the best formatted; Windows 2003 a close second.  The RTF and txt versions don't have good paragraph delineation.  I converted it with mobicreator and sent it to Kindle.  It reads just fine though the start of the actual book is just sort of mushed into the license stuff at the beginning.  For reference, it's location 79.

Re: Capistrano.  The free one is actually formatted better than the inexpensive version on Amazon.  Free book has linked table of contents.  Amazon version does not and has space bewteen paragraphs, based on the sample.

Ann
(my opinions only, of course  - - it's all subjective.)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
LDB said:
I don't mind paying a little bit if a little bit of that goes to help the board. For anyone else who wants to do that and thereby make a small donation to the board here's the link.

LDB you might want to add this to the Jan. bargain book thread.

It looks like a pretty good book.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Great Idea...Betsy:  What would we do without you? 

·
Registered
273 Posts
Right now on www.snowbooks.com these books:

Shattered Teacup by George Mann and Underlife by Robert Finn are being offered free. Shattered Teacup is only 16 pages on the pdf.

posted 1/2/09

1 - 20 of 206 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.