1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
These books will be free to all KindleBoard.com members through December 31, 2008. Beginning on January 1, 2009 they will be available free to anyone interested in writing a review or who is participating in a book club that includes either title.

Treasure of La Malinche

The Treasure of La Malinche, a 1,200 page adventure novel in two volumes that interweaves the history of the Spanish conquest of the New World with the current social and economic troubles in Mexico.

Gone For a Soldier

A novel of the American Revolution

If any KindleBoards members would like free copies, please send me a Private Message or email and I will happily provide you with a link. Posting a direct link here has proved to be impractical because the board gets thousands of browsing guests.

The files are formatted as for Mobipocket (*.prc) which can be read on your computer or your Kindle.

The simplest way to retrieve (download) the files is with your computer. Just click on the link that I gave you and save the file to a convenient place on your hard drive. If you get an error denying access and stating something like Windows (Vista usually) does not know what type of file you are trying to download, you will have to install the Mobipocket reader first. Here's the link:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/default.asp?Language=EN

Once you have the file(s) on your computer you can read them with the Mobipocket reader by simply double-clicking on the title.

Copying files to your Kindle:

1. You can upload the PRC files to your Kindle using the USB cable connection. When mounted (plugged in to you computer) your Kindle will appear as another drive so you can simply drag and drop the files to the documents folder on you Kindle. (Right click drag gives you the move or copy options)

2. You can also send the files to your Kindle via email. If you have more than one file to transfer it will be faster and easier to zip the files first. Here's the process:

In Windows Explorer, select all the files that you want to transfer to your Kindle by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on each. When you have them all selected, right click on any of the selected files and from the pop-up menu, pick Send to => Compresses (zipped) Folder. Windows will assign a name but you can change it of you want.

Now open your email client, address a message to your kindle {YourName}@Kindle.com), attach the zipped folder and send it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Vampyre- I'm pretty sure you have to use your computer and USB the kindle browser is pretty basic and I don't think you can download stuff with it. The USB route is pretty easy though, I tried for the first time last night and didn't have any problems.

These were all posted earlier in threads by other people:

http://www.virtualimprint.com/earthbound/ Earthbound Series Free

http://www.sarareinke.com/RANSOM_home.html Free Romance

http://groups.google.com/group/kindleaholics-anonymous/files?hl=en Free Tor Books

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have that catalog on my Kindle but haven't used it yet.

freekindlebooks.org can be directly loaded to your kindle if the size is not too large I think.  I put them all on my computer first though as I wanted that for my backup.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Kirstin said:
ha ha ha JEFF - I thought your new avatar was Sam Elliot until I read the caption.

Mark Twain - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Yeah, Kirstin, I noticed that too.

I had been using a picture of Charles Dickens...

until someone mentioned that Mark Twain was a self-published author.

If I stopped trimming my mustache for a few weeks, I'd look like the avatar - except I smoke a briar pipe and Twain liked his corncob, but Mark Twain and I have the same hair. ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wanted to thank Jeff for making his novel, Gone to a Soldier, available to us free. I just finished it and enjoyed it. I graduated from West Point, lived for 10 years in the NYC/NJ area, and am currently near Charleston, SC so many locations in the novel were very familiar to me. I have an MA in English and taught at WP for 3 years. I appreciate the difficulty of crafting a novel, so I applaud Jeff's work here!

Thanks again Jeff for both the novel and your technical help.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
:) Thank you so much for your free book info.

I just have to tell you about what I am doing with my Kindle. I found the link below for free books. I found so many that I remember, and even children's books. I downloaded 40 books!!!! They are in Kindle .azw format. You then hook up the USB connection to the computer and Kindle. It brings up the document folder of the Kindle in a specific drive. Since I have an SD card inserted, it showed 2 drives - one for the Kindle and one for the SD card. (I can store 4,000 books on my 4G SD card).

Then I just dragged from my document file to the SD drive to that document file and did about 9 books at one time. It took all of 10 seconds to download 10 books, so I just kept dragging them until I was all done.

I really didn't know what to expect the books to look like, but they are real, and they look great!! I can take out the SD card for future insertion, and the books will not show up on the menu. Right now the menu shows that I have 40 new books!

http://manybooks.net

Here are some of the books I downloaded:

The Brothers Karamazov (great book) by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Kingdom of God is Within You by Leo Tolstoy
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Jack and Jill by Louisa My Alcott
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (I love this book)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Anna Karanina by Leo Tolstoy (love this book)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Ayn Rand (great novel)
King James Version of The Bible (though I thought it would be broken into "books")
The Children's Book of Christmas Stories - Anonymous
Then all the rest are Children's series books which I love. There is a whole "The Camp Fire Girls" series by Jane Stewart, so I got 6 of them. Then a whole bunch of others.

I am just amazed at my computer savvy!!!!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Chloe and welcome to KindleBoards!  I have downloaded many books from manybooks.net as well!! My most exciting find there was the complete Oz series!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Chloe, Welcome Aboard

I was just on the site downloading a ton of books onto my computer. You have a lot of the books I have chosen.
I also picked up the entire Oz collection by L. Frank Baum. He wrote the books that made the Wizard of Oz movie classic famous.

Thanks for posting the books and link. Lots to read and learn here too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You guys are too fast!  I was responding a "you are welcome" to sailor, and the whole littany was lost.  Oh, well.  ::)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Just ignore them Chloe, hit the "Quote" button on the post you're want to respond to and jump right in. It happens a lot here, but you can get the upper hand again with the Quote technique. It's like trying to have a conversation at a very very very happy party!

Betsy
Thank you all for your welcomes and for the information on the Oz Series. I just downloaded 27 L. Frank Baum books. That is so great.

I have a question about these downloads. Last night I started reading Please by Peter Darbyshire (pretty outrageous and funny), but when I first opened it, everything was underlined. The same thing happened with opening the King James Bible. In the case with Please, I just used the Previous Page bar, then Next Page and the lines disappeared.

Is this unusual?

Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had that happen (the underlining) once with World War Z last night when I was finishing it up. I've never had it happen before though, and it hasn't happened again.

Not sure what it's all about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mikuto said:
I had that happen (the underlining) once with World War Z last night when I was finishing it up. I've never had it happen before though, and it hasn't happened again.

Not sure what it's all about.
It scared me! I sure didn't want to read 60 books, all underlined. But using those page buttons did something, just not sure why it happened in the first place.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.