Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone! I have a few questions about the KDP program. Do books automatically enter the "100 Top Free Books" list after the promo begins? I ask this because it looks like my book is the only free book in it's genre that isn't visible. What does Amazon do to promote free books? Is there a section on the site? I've been searching all morning. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
When you make your book free, it has to climb the ranks to get to the Top 100 based on the number of downloads you get.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you promote your free book outside Amazon to point people to your book. While it will be found by some, your results will be better if you advertise this elsewhere.

You need thousands of downloads to get to the Top 100.

Does anyone have the link to that super list of promo places? I'm not at a computer where I have my bookmarks.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hmmm... Amazon won't do any promoting for you, aside from putting your book on various Free Book Bestseller categories if you give away enough to qualify. There are a lot of excellent threads on the Writer's Cafe about how to have a successful free run, but for me, it comes down to having an attractive cover in a popular genre with a good blurb. If you have those things and alert the sites that highlight freebies, you can have a great free run, assuming the sites pick you up to promote. The most popular sites require certain numbers of reviews and a certain level of star-ranking in order to promote you.

The Author's Marketing Club is a good place to start. You have to register there, but it's free. They'll have a good starting list of places you can alert about your free book. It's not all-inclusive, but it's a good start.

When I did my first run, I found this very helpful, written by a KB'er: http://ruthnestvold.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/promoting-ebooks-with-kdp-select/

Here is the long-running thread that where people on the Writer's Cafe have told about their own experiences with free runs. It's very long, and things have changed since it was started, so you might want to go the the very end and then back up about 20 pages or so: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,98775.0.html

After that, if you have some more specific questions, come back here and post them and someone will probably come along and answer them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! It's funny because as of this evening I'm now number one and number thirteen in two categories. It looks like there was a lag. I really appreciate your assistance because it was very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Congratulations.

If you get a chance to share your numbers in the Mega-Thread about going free that I listed above, that is always appreciated.  Things are constantly in flux with the way Amazon treats freebies, but the more information we're able to gather, the better the smart people (this does not include me) are able to parse it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts