Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am amazed at this "free" book business, as it's cost me a few books already! Here's what I mean.... I got these free books at the urging of you Kindleboards friends/enablers, and got totally sucked into the story. Somewhere in the past I thought "free" usually meant not as quality as "expensive."

Anyway, now I'm caught up in buying sequels! And the series are amazing so far!

My recent freebies (unfortunately one is not free anymore, but super worth buying IMHO):

I've bought two sequels and am getting ready to buy the rest -- they're THAT good. Plus it's still free! Who knew the Napoleanic era could be so interesting?? Add dragons and it's totally fascinating! :eek:

Amazing story, very Potter-like but more relatable as I live in San Francisco. Buying the next in the series tonight thru KB, and will get the third when it comes out this month or as soon as it's Kindle-ized. Don't be put off by it being a YA book -- a great read for this 40-year old!

Any others that I've missed? I know I'm not the only one who's been sucked into this "free" vortex..... ;D

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I first got my kindle last May, Julia Spencer-Fleming gave away her first two books about Claire Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne

and

Can't find this one in a kindle version anymore, just as well because it was in the dreaded "topaz" format.

Anyway, got hooked and bought the rest of the series! So much for "free", but I LOVE finding new authors!

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is the first book in one of my favorite series EVER!
Was so glad she finally kindleized it! It's still free

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
This is the first book in one of my favorite series EVER!
Was so glad she finally kindleized it! It's still free
One of my favorite series as well.

Have you ever read the Belgariad books by David Eddings? I put them on par with the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

I haven't quite figured out the marketing scheme on Edding's series yet, lets make books 4 & 5 available for the kindle but not 1,2 & 3 ???

Seriously, it's an older series, if he wants to renew interest in it, offering the 1st book for free would be brilliant.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen was free last September, also as a promotion for her new book coming out. I had read other stuff of hers before so I grabbed The Surgeon. It was okay, not great and didn't entice me to buy her new book.

The Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose was also free for awhile -- same deal as above -- a promotion for a forthcoming book. I read a few chapters and lost interest.

Samhain has regularly had free books offered as a way to promote themselves as a publisher. They publish a lot of erotic/sexy stuff and I know many people have not cared for the freebies. I did enjoy Perfecting Amanda by Bonnie Dee but that's the only one I have read.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts

I got Whiskey Rebels free, and then bought three others for 9.99 each. I really like this author.
deb

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Forster said:
One of my favorite series as well.

Have you ever read the Belgariad books by David Eddings? I put them on par with the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

I haven't quite figured out the marketing scheme on Edding's series yet, lets make books 4 & 5 available for the kindle but not 1,2 & 3 ???

Seriously, it's an older series, if he wants to renew interest in it, offering the 1st book for free would be brilliant.

I think offering the first book (compendium of fist three) on the Kindle would be even better. It annoys me when a series is offered in two different formats, and in this case, Vol. 2 on the Kinde, but Vol 1, no.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
They made book 2 free when book 3 was due out. . . .I agree. . .it would have made more sense to make the free one book 1.  But. . . .it worked out for me as I'd already read book 1 in paper and was waiting to buy book 2. . .which I got for free!  :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Now, see, I disagree, book 1 of that series was the best.  :D  Actually I'm rereading it right now.

I didn't manage to get it for free--got my Kindle after that promotion ended & bought the bundle instead--but all the recommendations here end up costing me!  LOL

I managed to stop at three with Hobb's Assassin series (haven't read the next trilogy, or is it two?).  Novik's Temeraire books I went all the way with; I've even reread them in the last week or so.  Same with the Alchemyst (book three is coming....), and with Kate Johnson's Sophie Green mysteries.  That time, the free book was number 4 in the series, and yes, I went back and read them out of order.  Go figure, number two isn't Kindleized yet?!

I have several free "first in the series" books still waiting to be read, because I know when I start them I'm going to want to buy the rest.  I'm actually almost afraid to start new books at this point, because almost nobody writes a standalone any more, and it just gets so pricey.  I've got the sample for the first Dresden Files book right now, and I know that series is right up my alley, but ugh, 11 or more books at 6-7-8-9-10 bucks each?  Plus all the other books I still want?  :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fabulous that the publishers do this, but I have no self control when it comes to reading.  Get me started on a series & I just want to plow on through!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
"I've been pretty good at reading the freebies and then borrowing the rest from the library"

Assuming I like the freebie, whether or not I buy others by the author depends pretty much on whether the others are reasonably priced -- and whether they're available for the Kindle at all, of course.

Ellen

·
Registered
383 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I managed to stop at three with Hobb's Assassin series (haven't read the next trilogy, or is it two?).
it's 2 more trilogies. 9 books in all 1-3:Assassin 4-6:Liveship 7-9:Fool I love ALL NINE! Wish she would write more!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
it's 2 more trilogies. 9 books in all 1-3:Assassin 4-6:Liveship 7-9:Fool I love ALL NINE! Wish she would write more!
Liveship is a bit different though as it deals with different characters albeit the same world. But I did enjoy them, not quite as much as the Farseer and Fool trilogies though.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I didn't realize Liveship really had anything at all to do with Fitz and/or related characters from the Fitz/Fool world, and read those after I read Farseer and Fool...got quite the surprise at a couple of the revelations in the Liveship trilogy! :D  But I agree they really aren't intimately related, and reading them in the order I did works just as well...well worth it to read them all, though.

She does have another totally unrelated series, the Soldier Sons (I think, without looking it up) series, but I have not as yet read that one.  Supposedly she has a new book coming out in the next couple of months, but although it's listed on Fantastic Fiction, it's not listed on Amazon at all.  ???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts