Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
You may already know about this website, but I just stumbled upon it this morning. It is filled with a ton of ebooks that you can download for your Kindle. I've noticed that they carry more of the old Classics, but hey, it is all FREE! Enjoy! :)

http://www.feedbooks.com/

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Elena,

thanks for the post! I'm glad you found Feedbooks, and it's a good one to know about, for our many new members.

Your post also allows me to post this Book Corner Public Service Announcement:

For this and other great sites to find free books, check our Book Lovers' Links:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1136.0.html

Betsy

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Betsy and all:

I have downloaded many many free books for the kindle, from manybooks.com. I have nearly 4,000 titles on my Kindle 1 (with a big 8 Meg SD card). Of course, I will need to build a power generator and an outlet at my gravesite, because I'll need to be plugged in for an eternity. Well, many books is no secret, and I'm not revealing anything new. No revelation here. However, here's one. If you like complete collections - Dickens, Tolstoy, Twain, etc - you know the schtick, downloading them from a free site might prove challenging format-wise - and also, you may lose the title search on your kindle (as the meta fields on many of these sites are missing. You can intervene on mobi creator and add your own tags, but when you have above 3,000 titles, it's quite a daunting task). Therefore, these authors can be had in single downloads from Amazon for very reasonable prices - I mean $4.00 for a complete Arthur Conan Doyle, and they are well indiced and usually have companion materials such as biographies and reference sources. Even though I have "free" free-standing versions of the major works of the major classic authors, I also have them in "Complete Works" versions. I sometimes need to find a reference and it is quicker to assualt material under one title with an index than to thrash around otherwise.

Edward C. Patterson
author of stuff

PS: One drawback of having the Library of Congress on your Kindle is, it is impossible to do a search under 20 minutes. I sometimes accidentally hit the search function while editing and then look to the ceiling with more than one expletive. (Editiing on the Kindle, does he say? Sounds like a great subject for a Kindle thread. Stay tuned).

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ed--

while I don't have as many books on my Kindle as you do, I do have about 300 with a 16GB card, and yes, searches take forever!

Good points about the different versions of free and almost free books!

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I also like to get my classics from Amazon because of the formatting issues.  I have gotten a few books from manybooks.net.  Some of them have been fine, some have glitches. 
deb

·
Registered
446 Posts
edwpat said:
Betsy and all:

I have downloaded many many free books for the kindle, from manybooks.com.

(Editiing on the Kindle, does he say? Sounds like a great subject for a Kindle thread. Stay tuned).
I believe the site you are speaking of is www.manybooks.net Haven't heard of it before, but I had to google it to find the right site :) …. And I would love to know more about editing on the Kindle!! Please do share!

Rachel

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Rachel:

I plan to write a full "thingy" on editing on a new thread, but for now let's just say this:

As an Indie author, I take all the responsibilities for delivering a "cleanly" edited book. I am an editor as well, but that doesn't help. I have an editor, who is dedicated to my work (knows my style and will fight me only when she thinks I'm being an ass, which often happens). Still, after I finish my editing and proofing and she (Peg DeRonde) does her fine tooth comb, there is always things that are missed. Solution: KINDLE EDIT.

Optically, by reading my work back on the Kindle at a large font size (I have it set at that normally as I'm blind in one eye), I catch things that normally neither I or Peg would. Editing andproofing, by the way, require a different skill set than writing and revising. So when I find an editing change on the Kindle, (Kindle1) I click the line and add a highlight. I then click it again to close the highlight, and then again to add a note. I then make my comment, and I abbreviate (sb should be, caps, itals, add comma, xspace (remove space) etc. These accumulate in a special text file that can be displayed by selecting "My Notes" from the menu pop up in any given book. Now, you can send that file over to your computer using the USB (which is not the best way, IMHO), or just bring the notes up on the kindle (in one hand) and do a "find" in MS word in your Manuscript to find and correct. This is fast. Not only do you find more editing issues on the Kindle, you can edit away from your computer (at lunch with a baloney sandwich in the other hand, on the bus, at your brother's house when he's watching a hickey game and you'd be otherwise sleeping). Also, when using the Kindle keyboard, use only one hand and your index finger. It's not a Blackberry, where you use your thumbs. I type just a fast with one index finger on the Kindle as I do with both hands on a standard keyboard.

Well, I'll elaborate further in that dedicated thread, as this is somewhat OT, but accommodating - but . . . oh, you know how to get one of your files onto the Kindle (I assume). I use mobipocket creator and send a .prc file through Kindle for download. This way you are working with the actual .AZW format that your reader will see.

Edward C. Patterson
author of stuff

·
Registered
446 Posts
edwpat said:
Rachel:

I plan to write a full "thingy" on editing on a new thread, but for now let's just say this:

As an Indie author, I take all the responsibilities for delivering a "cleanly" edited book. I am an editor as well, but that doesn't help. I have an editor, who is dedicated to my work (knows my style and will fight me only when she thinks I'm being an ass, which often happens). Still, after I finish my editing and proofing and she (Peg DeRonde) does her fine tooth comb, there is always things that are missed. Solution: KINDLE EDIT.

Optically, by reading my work back on the Kindle at a large font size (I have it set at that normally as I'm blind in one eye), I catch things that normally neither I or Peg would. Editing andproofing, by the way, require a different skill set than writing and revising. So when I find an editing change on the Kindle, (Kindle1) I click the line and add a highlight. I then click it again to close the highlight, and then again to add a note. I then make my comment, and I abbreviate (sb should be, caps, itals, add comma, xspace (remove space) etc. These accumulate in a special text file that can be displayed by selecting "My Notes" from the menu pop up in any given book. Now, you can send that file over to your computer using the USB (which is not the best way, IMHO), or just bring the notes up on the kindle (in one hand) and do a "find" in MS word in your Manuscript to find and correct. This is fast. Not only do you find more editing issues on the Kindle, you can edit away from your computer (at lunch with a baloney sandwich in the other hand, on the bus, at your brother's house when he's watching a hickey game and you'd be otherwise sleeping). Also, when using the Kindle keyboard, use only one hand and your index finger. It's not a Blackberry, where you use your thumbs. I type just a fast with one index finger on the Kindle as I do with both hands on a standard keyboard.

Well, I'll elaborate further in that dedicated thread, as this is somewhat OT, but accommodating - but . . . oh, you know how to get one of your files onto the Kindle (I assume). I use mobipocket creator and send a .prc file through Kindle for download. This way you are working with the actual .AZW format that your reader will see.

Edward C. Patterson
author of stuff
This is a great idea!! My husband is writing a book and I will be doing grammar/spelling check for him (he's an awesome storyteller, not so awesome speller :)). And after I do the first brush of it on the computer, I think it would be great to read it in book format on my kindle and edit it like you have described. I agree that it helps to see it in a different way in order to catch some things.

Of course he has to actually finish the book now! :)

I look forward to the full post and to see if this will work just as well on my K2.

Thanks!
Rachel

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Your welcome Rachel, and I've published a book on setting up books for the Kindle, revision and Indie Publishing, called "Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?" available on the Kindle and paper - see my website www.dancaster.com I haven't pushed that one here in the Reader's forum, although Jeff Hepple has (he's used it as have many other authors). I give it away at times. If you want (or anybody wants) a free copy in .pdf format (and I think I can get a transferable .azw file) just drop me an email at [email protected]. It's been out since New Years and has proved popular, useful and . . . well, it's anyones for a price or free or what you will. I believe in sharing.

Ed Patterson

PS: I also assist authors one on oneto get their works up on the Kindle, a few of those authors are being hawked on Kindleboards.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I sent you an email!  I would love to take a look at this, my husband and I are trying to gather as much info as possible about the process.

Thanks!
Rachel

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Rachel:

It's my pleasure to assist any author and reader in any way possible. I will attach a copy of my book in .pdf format and send it to you forthwith.

Sincerely,
Edward C. Patterson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts