Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of FREE FIRST IN SERIES, a promotional spot on Kobo that we have been able to use to help authors gain some traction on Kobo.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/Collection/free-first-in-series

It doesn't always work, but many of the books that have gained a healthy number of downloads have typically converted into sales. Stats show that if, for example, 10,000 people download a free book, less than 1000 of them will actually OPEN the eBook, and maybe 70% of them will actually finish the book in a 3-4 week period. HOWEVER, of the people who finish the book, we've seen conversion rates of as high as 54% where the reader goes on to buy one or more books from that author. And sometimes, that's all it takes for an author whose titles haven't been moving to gain a little traction and slowly build an audience.

If you have a book that's perma-FREE at Kobo and the first book in a series, please feel free to post it here (including covers makes things quicker). I'll keep dipping in to follow comments this list and making recommendations for forthcoming titles to be added to our landing page.

If you have a first book in series that you are planning on making free at Kobo, share that too - (but please be clear it's a limited thing and do try to give some lead time for merchandise planning). And don't forget, that, within Kobo Writing Life (www.kobo.com/writinglife) there's a price promo tool you can use to enter your planned price promo into our system weeks in advance if you're doing a timed price promo or timed free promo.

Thanks

Mark from Kobo

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
This is an awesome page.

There is one thing I still don't understand, though. When I go to the Kobo shop main page, how does one find the First in series free page? Because in the Aus store I can see no way that a customer could get to the page when browsing. Or is it something that is mailed out only?

I think it should be somewhere a customer could easily find it, because the more books you give away, the more books you sell.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
This is an awesome page.

There is one thing I still don't understand, though. When I go to the Kobo shop main page, how does one find the First in series free page? Because in the Aus store I can see no way that a customer could get to the page when browsing. Or is it something that is mailed out only?

I think it should be somewhere a customer could easily find it, because the more books you give away, the more books you sell.
He said in another thread somewhere that it is used as part of their marketing emails currently and does not yet have a permanent home on their front pages. I suggested that it get a permanent home, and I think it will some day. :)

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
VydorScope said:
He said in another thread somewhere that it is used as part of their marketing emails currently and does not yet have a permanent home on their front pages. I suggested that it get a permanent home, and I think it will some day. :)
OK, I must have missed that. Sheesh. I think I spend enough time at this place already.

Yes, I think it would be good to have an easily linkable home for that page.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone! Some amazing looking books have been posted, which will be great for adding them into the rotating schedule -- (and, as already mentioned, FIRST FREE IN SERIES doesn't yet have a permanent home - it comes up dynamically in different territories and is included in particular email blasts and other direct marketing campaigns)

Keep posting - and thanks for including links to the books on Kobo - makes it that much easier to grab and record them for our list.

Mark

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oh, lol I'm glad I clicked the link first as my permafree is on there. That might help explain why I've seen the sales increase on the other two books in the series on Kobo.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Mark Leslie said:
I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of FREE FIRST IN SERIES, a promotional spot on Kobo that we have been able to use to help authors gain some traction on Kobo.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/Collection/free-first-in-series

It doesn't always work, but many of the books that have gained a healthy number of downloads have typically converted into sales. Stats show that if, for example, 10,000 people download a free book, less than 1000 of them will actually OPEN the eBook, and maybe 70% of them will actually finish the book in a 3-4 week period. HOWEVER, of the people who finish the book, we've seen conversion rates of as high as 54% where the reader goes on to buy one or more books from that author. And sometimes, that's all it takes for an author whose titles haven't been moving to gain a little traction and slowly build an audience.

If you have a book that's perma-FREE at Kobo and the first book in a series, please feel free to post it here (including covers makes things quicker). I'll keep dipping in to follow comments this list and making recommendations for forthcoming titles to be added to our landing page.
Mark from Kobo
The conversion rate you mentioned works for short stories as well as for series. My perma-FREE short story, "A Perfect Nanny," is the first story in a book of short stories. It's now #35 in the Free Kindle Store in the UK and #1 in Women's Fiction and #1 in Family Life. The result is that my other books are beginning to sell in the UK. I didn't do any promos in the UK for "A Perfect Nanny," so I'm guessing that what attracted readers is the cover. "A Perfect Nanny" is free on Kobo. Here is the link:

http://store.kobobooks.com/ebook/a-perfect-nanny

Thank you for the opportunity!

1 - 20 of 431 Posts