Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently downloaded the free version of Microsoft Word Starter 10, and it has unfortunately stopped all the hyperlinks in my previous version of Word (in which I wrote the book) from working.

I had to download this edition of Word Starter, as I could not open Word documents sent to me by a recruitment agency (why do these agencies ALWAYS insist on sending docs your version of Word cannot open??) in my older version.

What can I do to get my book's hyperlinks working again? If I uninstall Word Starter, will it not automatically take with it my previous version of Word? Alternatively, is there no way I can get those hyperlinks reactivated if I keep Word Starter?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How old is your version of Word? I think it must be very old if you're having compatibility issues like this. IIRC there were issues from 2003 when the changed the format from .doc to .docx.

So basically, what format is your original manuscript in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. My previous version of Word was 2000.

As I say, this free Word Starter 10 is an absolute pain, as it has stopped my previously fine hyperlinks in my Kindle book from working. Don't know whether to uninstall Word Starter edition and go back to my previous version of Word, or try and find a fix for it.

I wouldn't have downloaded the damn Word Starter 10 in the first place if it hadn't have been for that agency sending me Word docs that would not open in Word 2000.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ghoststorywriter said:
What can I do to get my book's hyperlinks working again? If I uninstall Word Starter, will it not automatically take with it my previous version of Word?
Windows has a roll back feature that can take you back to a previous point. This is not a 'restoration' but a 'roll-back' i.e. you won't lose any data by rolling back, as you would with a restore. I have used it a few times in the past to recover from problems. Just Google 'windows roll back' and you should find details of how to proceed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Kathy's option will work...assuming it will rollback to an obsolete version of the program. I just checked and Office 2000 reached EOL (end of life) in 2009. 12 years ago. Not only that, sometime after the 2003 version they changed the format of documents from .doc to .docx, as mentioned above. I remember this from when I upgraded from 2003 to 2007.

The 2007 version offered some compatibility so you could still open your documents from the defunct format. No idea how long they kept doing that, but they clearly aren't doing that anymore.

No business is going to be sending you Word docs from a program that was released in 1999, and you should be very happy about that. I hope you have some kickass anti-virus anti-malware on your computer.

Your other issue is having multiple versions of Word on your computer. It can be done, because I loved 2007 and held on to it for a long time. But at some point I had to install 2016 and I ran them both at the same time for a while. But I had to follow some special install process to get it done. I'm mentioning this in case you want to keep 2000 and install a newer version as well, but that might not work with the starter.

ETA: If you are just using 2000 locally, that might be okay. But if you ever need to update and upload your book again to KDP, I'm pretty sure they won't accept your document. It needs to be the new format.

And in case the rollback doesn't roll back that far, there should be some way for you to open/convert your old version into the new version. But it could be a manual process.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Word 2016 will open and edit .docs (it will also open and/or save documents as a Word 1997-2003 document). I don't know about Word Starter, as I hadn't even heard of Word Starter until now.

Maybe someone else here who knows more about Word Starter can be of better help.

PS, as of the info on the KDP website, Amazon still accepts .doc documents.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I don't know about Word Starter, as I hadn't even heard of Word Starter until now.
Word Starter was a free version of Word in 2010 that was included with a computer at purchase. While I know there are places you can download it, my understanding is it was only legally licensed if it was included by a manufacturer. It had a very limited subset of Word's commands and abilities, sort of like the free online version today, and was supported by ads--from memory mostly ads for you to buy the full version. It didn't last long.

Apparently one of the features it was missing was hyperlinks. It's also possible that they're still in the document and just not visible in Word Starter.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
To the OP: when you look at your computer programs, do you still have your older version of Word 2000? It might still be on the computer, and usable, just not showing on your desktop or toolbar. Just a thought.

If the original Word 2000 is still on your computer, just use it to write with and the Word Starter to open the docx's that your agent apparently sends you. I have two working word processors on my computer, and they both work (they don't conflict with each other).

I've even had them both active at the same time. They're not both MS products, though -- only one of them is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts