·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FREE Monday thru Wednesday - May 5, 6 & 7 at Amazon

The Closet Clandestine
a queer steps out

by Edward C. Patterson
Kindleboard Book Profile for The Closet [URL=Clandestine:a]Clandestine:a queer steps out[/url]
A Journey from the Darkness Into the Light

The closet is a dark and airless place, so when I emerged from it, what else could I do but extol the truth's glory over systemic lies -- life's beauty in its infinite variety over societal servitude in its deafening prejudice.

The Closet Clandestine is a paean to existance beyond the closet -- seven peans, in fact -- chapbooks dedicated to my OUTbound journey. Sensitive, bold, Gay and sometimes shocking, these are the lyrics of my journey from darkness to twilight to sunshine.

Included -- seven chapbooks:

The Awakening
Catherine and Other Poems
The Festival at Thebes
Ties and Rings
Gay October
Provincetown Poems, and
Songs: Not Just Survival.

"Rage girls in fiery green - that I will never retreat into the closet clandestine again."

These 180 poems are collected into seven volumes:

The Awakening
Catherine and Other Poems
The Festival at Thebes
Ties and Rings
Gay October
Provincetown Poems
Songs: Not Just Survival.

The following review does not appear on Amazon:

Review from Rainbow Reviews:
"I read poetry by "dipping" - the book lies by my bed, and I dip at random, reading one, maybe two before bed. In this way the pleasure is extended, it can take months to read through a volume. Poetry should not be rushed. I enjoyed this volume of poetry. For one, the layout is to my taste, lots of white, open space, to leave room for thought. Another thing I enjoyed seeing was the development of the poet, from being 'in the closet' in The Awakening, to being 'out, and proud of it' in Songs: Not just Survival. There is a progression; the poet shares his life and moments. The poems are well crafted, it is clear that thought and love and much work went into the work. I plan to keep the volume by my bed. Read it, savor it."

Review by L. Adlem

Thank you
Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't read much poetry, but this one looks intiguing.  I'll have to check it out....Thank you, Ed.  I've enjoyed many of your books. :)

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Esmeluv:

Poetry is the cornerstone of any author's life. Unfortunately, readers either are avid poetry readers or "Poetry is not my cup of tea." Authors know this, but still, to withhold the sinews that holds my world together would be damnable on my part. Thus, The Closet Clandestine. Try it Esmeluv. I think you'll like it.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Question: Should I leave the price of this book at $ .99 permanently. Poetry lovers speak up. If I get 10 new readers by May 11th, I will keep the Kindle price of The Closet Clandestine permanently at $ .99. or

Post here feelings on poetry in general.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Wednesday Poetry Sample from The Closet Clandestine

Cultural Warriors

to a defining moment

We are culture's warriors,
Raising our voices through the land;
Teaching with our measures,
And our hearts tied to songs;
Hymns that wrap the people
In heaven's coverlet.
We are the beacons for the century,
To the youth and fiery angels,
Leading our pavilions
Into the world's pavilions.
We follow the drum bangers,
The locust-eaters and prophets;
Beyond the tabernacles,
Into the hearth places,
The fountain places
Where the sanctuary stones weep
To understand our strains.
The frost heart melts.
The statue head quivers.
The ignorant understand
As we, the cultural warriors
Bring the beacons of truth to the night's cold misery
Leaving in our wake
A clear and starry dawn.

* Inspired by Donna Red Wing

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ed,
I love the over art for The Closet Clandestine.  And I enjoyed your Wed. poem.  What a great idea to post one of your poems every Wed!  :)

Carol Hanrahan
author of Baling

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Carol. Well, there are 180 poems in the collections. So if no one wants to own the collection, they can wait 180 weeks and collect them that way for free. Like dishes at Dish Night at the Movies (of which I'm olf enough to remember).  ;D

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
831 Posts
The ferret ponders the bit of stone that would feed a miner's family for a year. 

Poetry is an acquired taste and very much like wine.  Anyone can make it by stomping on a few grapes and ferreting the resulting liquid away in some dark corner of their lives.  Anyone can drink it.  For each who drinks there is a unique reaction on their tongues and with their minds.  But most importantly, poetry is best when aged just right.  Only the test of time determines a poem's true merit.  If you can read the same poem ten times over ten years and feel something significant each time... that is what makes it art.  IMHO.

Cheers.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
vwkitten said:
The ferret ponders the bit of stone that would feed a miner's family for a year.

Poetry is an acquired taste and very much like wine. Anyone can make it by stomping on a few grapes and ferreting the resulting liquid away in some dark corner of their lives. Anyone can drink it. For each who drinks there is a unique reaction on their tongues and with their minds. But most importantly, poetry is best when aged just right. Only the test of time determines a poem's true merit. If you can read the same poem ten times over ten years and feel something significant each time... that is what makes it art. IMHO.

Cheers.
Trish, I have never liked poetry, but your description was truly poetic.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gertie:

You'd just love my poetry. In fact, send me an email [email protected] and I'll give you the whole shooting match and make a poetry lover out of ya.

Ed Patterson

PS: My motto to all authors.

Two things are necessary to succeed when writing a novel. An author must write poetry in order to awaken the inner spirit of he book and its characters, and they must also be a smart-ass comic, to engage the reader constantly with the humor and irony of the life about them.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
edwpat said:
Gertie:

You'd just love my poetry. In fact, send me an email [email protected] and I'll give you the whole shooting match and make a poetry lover out of ya.

Ed Patterson
Sorry, Ed. Not going to happen. I usually get two lines in and then I zone out. I tried the one you posted above, and the same thing happened. I'm a rabid Potter fan and had trouble getting through the sorting hat song. I skipped all of the songs in LotR (just poetry without music).

More power to those of you who enjoy it. It's just an avenue of enjoyment that is lost on me. I'll take the wine, though. ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Gertie,

There is a book called Poetry 180, unfortunately not available on Kindle yet.  The premise is that a high school student could read a poem a day for the school year, and begin to get a good appreciation of poetry.  I suspect these poems might be a little different than Harry Potter or LOTR poems....  
Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.....

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
Gertie,

There is a book called Poetry 180, unfortunately not available on Kindle yet. The premise is that a high school student could read a poem a day for the school year, and begin to get a good appreciation of poetry. I suspect these poems might be a little different than Harry Potter or LOTR poems....
Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.....
Thanks, Carol, but poetry is just not my thing. You would never get me to read a poem a day for even one day. It's good you posted that, though, because others might be interested.

I mentioned the HP poem because only Potter could make me read one.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmmm. Let me try to put Gertie asleep.

There once was a man from Boston,
Who had a baby Austen
He had room from his . . .
And a gallon of gas,
But his . . . hung out and he lost 'em.

On which line did you doze off on Gertie. he he he  ;D

BTW, that one was red to me in the cradle my my dear Auntie Mae.

Ed Patterson

PS: I was born a port. So were many in my family, and now I'm gonna brag. I am the grandson of Hilda Herrick Patterson, who is a descendant of Robert Herrick, and we have rhythm and rhyme rolling through our veins. In The Jade Owl Legacy, I have a cache phrase abut "gather ye rosebuds as ye may," in reference to research methodology, but it's really a homage to my illustrious poet ancestor, and the line is from his Advice to Young Virgins.

ECP

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
edwpat said:
Hmmmm. Let me try to put Gertie asleep.

There once was a man from Boston,
Who had a baby Austen
He had room from his . . .
And a gallon of gas,
But his . . . hung out and he lost 'em.

On which line did you doze off on Gertie. he he he ;D
Are you saying limericks are poetry? ;D

PS: I was born a port. <snip>
You were born a "port?" I was born a chianti. ;)

1 - 20 of 185 Posts