Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FREE Today-Tomorrow 9/29-30
The Third Peregrination

Book II of The Jade Owl Legacy Series

by Edward C. Patterson
Kindleboard Profile for The Third Peregrination
The world is on the brink, now that the relics flow together again. The new China Hands should have left the Jade Owl in the tomb, to fester silently for another age, but they didn't. Now there is a tapping in the basement and a flowering of new relics, all seeking to move Curator-General Rowden Gray and his crew into the field again to solve the mystery of The Seven Sisters. However, the world has changed since Rowden managed his first task. The new China Hands are sucked into the maelstrom of time, flowing together with the relics, now that the world is at the brink.

Rowden Gray and Nicholas Battle, joined by three new stalwarts in pursuit of the next level in the triad, find a fortress in a mystery deeper than the first warrant, something that compels them to return to China and unravel a more difficult truth - one that challenges them beyond time's membrane. This second book in the Jade Owl Legacy Series pushes the new China Hands to the world's brink - now that the relics flow together again.

Sinologist Rowden Grey is back at the San Francisco Museum of East Asian Arts and Culture, formerly his dream career. The museum has benefited over many decades from artifacts and treasures provided by Rowden's late mentor, John Battle, including the mysterious treasures of China's only Empress, which impelled the events in the initial story. In this second volume, beginning after the "China Hands" return from China, the paranormal element introduced by the Jade Owl artifact becomes increasingly prevalent. Once again, Rowden, John Battle's son Nick, Nick's life partner Simon/Simone, and Rowden's new love Audrey, are put on the spot in a struggle for life, limb, and sanity as stakes escalate.

Just an announcement that starting Tuesday September 1,2009, the Jade Owl Legacy vy Edward C. Patterson continues, with a Read with the Author Book Klub of the second book in the series

Link to Book KLUB http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,13044.0.html

The Jade Owl Legacy Book II

The Third Peregrination

Foreword

Part I: A Hall of Quiet Relics

Chapter One: Secrets Among Friends
Chapter Two: The Conservancy
Chapter Three: A Family Gathering
Chapter Four: The Seven Sisters
Chapter Five: The Relics Flow Together Again
Chapter Six: Cavalcade

Part II: The Dao de Dau-tze

Chapter One: The Tower
Chapter Two: Shadow Play
Chapter Three: Voice from the Past
Chapter Four: The Tale of Moe
Chapter Five: A Rose by Any Other Name
Chapter Six: The Horn Calls
Chapter Seven: The Really Big Show

Part III: The Hu-tung

Chapter One: TransPacifica
Chapter Two: Family Ties
Chapter Three: Tangerines and Gourds
Chapter Four: The Summer Palace
Chapter Five: Paragons
Chapter Six: The God of War
Chapter Seven: Old Sheep
Chapter Eight: The Angels Come
Chapter Nine: The Face of Modern China
Chapter Ten: Happy Goddess at the Gate

Part IV: The Ch'i-t'ang

Chapter One: Who Needs Guns?
Chapter Two: The House of Green Waters
Chapter Three: Mr. Firestone's Quagmire
Chapter Four: Crazy as Pigs on a Cliff
Chapter Five: The Voice of Five
Chapter Six: Revelation
Chapter Seven: Famine

Part V: The Glimmers of Meng Ka-bao

Chapter One: Gui-lin Dreamers
Chapter Two: Outsiders
Chapter Three: Soft Seat to Shang-hai
Chapter Four: Moorehouse on the Threshold
Chapter Five: Snares in the Dark
Chapter Six: The Plight of the Sisters
Chapter Seven: The Beacon Fires
Chapter Eight: Frogs and Crickets

Part VI: The Warrants

Chapter One: The Portal
Chapter Two: Fishing With Birds
Chapter Three: The Jurchen and the P'i Rings
Chapter Four: Under Wu Tze-t'ien's Hem
Chapter Five: Following Po-huai
Chapter Six: Lamentations

Part VII: Cutting the Day from Day

Chapter One: The Letter
Chapter Two: Signposts
Chapter Three: The Lady of Silk
Chapter Four: In the Hall of Fire
Chapter Five: The Portal Closes

Epilog: Nothing Now to Keep

Afterword

The following review is not on Amazon.com, and is from Rainbow Reviews:

The Third Peregrination, second volume in Edward C. Patterson's The Jade Owl Legacy, is subtitled The Search of the New China Hands. Like its predecessor, The Jade Owl, the novel is riveting as escalating suspense has readers turning pages as fast as they can read. The continuing main protagonists are joined by a revolving cast of well-developed secondary characters who provide human interest as the plot lines begun in The Jade Owl further develop. Author Patterson never drops a stitch nor leaves a subplot dangling. Rife with suspense, character development, and a newly intensified focus on the paranormal, The Third Peregrination is a valid stand-alone novel, but will also inspire readers new to The Jade Owl Legacy to seek out the first volume and to eagerly anticipate the next book in the set. Once again, Mr. Patterson delivers don't miss excitement. Run, do not walk, to your nearest bookselling outlet and enjoy The Third Peregrination.

Review by Perma Frost

=======================
Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fans of The Jade Owl series say that this is the best of the series. Don't believe me, ask them?

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second novel of the Jade Owl Legacy Series is a novel riveting with escalating suspense.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Received today another 5-star review for The Third Peregrination - a lush review. Come take a peek.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ed I love this whole series and look forward to the last two books. Any idea when they will be available?

Also thank you for recommending In Her Name. I just finished it and loved it.

I have found so many books through these posts that I would never have heard of or read. Thanks for all of the recommendations from everyone.

Janc

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Janc:

The last two books won't be done for a while (2010 and 2011), however, there is the ancillary series - The Jade Owl backstory called Southern Swallow, starting with The Academician (available now), and the second book in that series will be out in the Fall. I hope you don't mind me telling you this, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to sell you something - however, whenever a reader finishes the first 3 books of TJO Legacy and wants more . . . more is found in The Academician and that four book series. (It's about Li K'ai-men and is told by that irasciable scamp from The Third Peregrination, K'u Ko-ling) In fact, most of the puzzle pieces for the first series are completed in the second series. If you are offended by me recommending that you dive into another one of my books, forgive me, and chastise me publicly. Here's the link to The Academician.

Thank you for being a reader of this series, and I am delighted that you enjoyed it. I know it's an epic and some readers prefer a lighter read, but I am one of those readers who like the long never ending saga, like Temeraire, The Dark Tower, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and The Fire and Ice Series (which I do believe will never end). So I strive as an author to enjoy myself while I entertain others.

Thank you,
Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ed,
I am thrilled to hear The Academician is part of the Jade Owl story line. I have it in my TBR file and will now move it to the top of the list. Thank you for clarifying how all of this ties together.  Right before the last one comes out I want to read the whole series again so the characters are fresh.

According to Amazon the last book in the Fire and Ice series will be out this fall.
A Dance With Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire) by George R.R. Martin (Audio CD - Sep 29, 2009)
It does not say anything about it being on the Kindle yet but it is probably too soon.

I have read His Magesty's Dragon and plan on getting the rest of the series.  I only have 38 pages of books waiting to be read and keep adding more almost every day. If I live that long and my eyes hold out, I am a happy camper.

A lot of the books I have read had a free first book or on sale at a low price, and I enjoyed them so much I purchased the whole series. Thanks to all of you who do that.

Janc

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've been waiting for Fire and Ice forever and since his last installment was a bit disappointing, he's got a lot of 'spalini' to do.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ed,
Another outstanding series.
I just finished reading The Academician and look forward to more from this and The Jade Owl series. I know it will be a while before the next book comes out but please keep us posted. I can't be the only one looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you so much for giving us something wonderful to look forward to.

Janc

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Janc:

The Jade Owl Legacy Series and Southern Swallow (The Academician) is my great joy. The Academician (without its Jade Owl connection) has been in the works for . . . ready . . . 37 years. I am currently speaking with Betsy regarding starting a Read with the Author for The Jade Owl.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ed,
This is obviously a labor of love for you and we are the lucky beneficiaries.
I hope you and Betsy can work something out.
This whole series is outstanding. In my opinion.

Janc

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Janc. It's in my court now and I'm waiting for feedback from another author who has enjoyed a Read with the Author, to share with me the best way to make the experience most enjoyable for my readers. Once I have that in place, I'll move forward. I have already decided that I will conduct this in the Book Klub.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Ahem... *smiles nervously*... Edward, what is a Peregrination? I thought it would become evident as I read along through the threads, but looks like it ain't happ'ning. So, please,
what the hell?
:-[

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Edward C. Patterson said:
Peregrination is a Journey.

Ed P
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew that peregrin as in peregrin falcon means 'wanderer' because I used the name for one of my characters in another novel that remains unpublished. But I couldn't make the transfer from peregrin to peregrination. I thought 'hey, wandering nation?' LOL.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brendan:

When I was on my doctoral tract at Columbia University, back in the dark ages of the 1970's, I had to read Le Peregrination Chinois as part of my research for my degree requirements. I hated the article (French is one of weak suits), but I fell in love with the title, especially the French pronounciation of Peregrination (accent on the 4th syllable). When Book II of The Jade Owl Legacy Series leaned toward a title that involved the 3rd Journey of the relic, Peregrination just popped out of my 30 year archive of titles.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
To me the word also suggested falcons, and I thought you might have chosen it intentionally as a clever way to maintain the avian theme.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts