Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I keep finding multiple versions of the same book on the Kindle book page..........for example Phantom of the Opera and Pride & prejudice both have free copies as well as copies for $2-4, I called Amazon about this and was told they are all the same book- just published by different companies.

So my question for Kindle users [I'm still awaiting my first! ;D] Have you noticed a difference between the different versions? Which would you get and why? Obviously I lean toward the free one because it's FREE but I'm apprehensive that the content/format would be wrong.......

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
Difference is usually in formatting.  A good plan is to download a sample of each one and see which one has the best formatting for the price. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some of the free Amazon books, the ones in the public domain, with no cover, or a stock cover, don't seem to have a sample available.  That is unfortunate because if you download it and don't like it, or want another version, it's there on your account forever... 

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
Also, though, remember that if you get it from Amazon you have 7 days to return it no questions asked.  I got one once that the sample seemed good but the rest of it -- it was an informational book -- was not as advertised and I didn't like it.  I sent an e-mail to Kindle CS and they refunded my money and I deleted the book.  It's no longer in my Amazon account.

So the key is, if you're not sure. . .check it out within the 7 days so you can return it if need be.

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well, free is always good but when the formatting is off, better to buy through Amazon.

G

·
I have found that for most of the classics (public domain), the feedbook versions are well formatted. I have not downloaded one from feedbook yet that looks bad. Makes the decision much easier for me, good formatting and free to boot. Once you get the feedbook download guide, it is really easy to get the books also.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is a feedbook version? A lot of the free ones I'm finding are the public domain ones with just a white cover and the books title....no book description, or length.

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
Feedbooks.com is a web site where public domain books have been formatted for e-readers.  You can download a sort of catalog and put it on your Kindle and then you can download books directly.  You can also download books from the site to your computer and move it to your Kindle by e-mail or USB.

Ann

·
Registered
115 Posts
Even if you don't get the sample. You can get the free one first. If you like it keep it. If the formatting sucks you can make the ruling whether it's worth the 2-4 bucks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Also, if feedbooks.com doesn't have it, search on mobileread.com and manybooks.net (note - this one is NOT .com). If the first two have it, the formatting is almost always great. Most of the "newer" (added to library recently, as well as new releases under free CCC licenses) books at manybooks are also great.

All three are not only better formatted than many of the "cheap" versions at Amazon, they are all free and don't stay in your online library (for those that don't want those free books there).  Often even the pay versions of public domain books at Amazon are no better formatted than the Gutenberg.org version (which is where these "publishers" got them in the first place).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts