Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reported a possible software bug to Amazon CS that began when my Kindle 2 appeared to freeze when looking up a common word. I reported the problem word to CS but did not include it in my description below. I will report the response I receive from CS when it arrives.

I was reading Don Quixote. There was a common word that was the beginning of a phrase. Even though I knew both the word and the phrase, I was curious if the origin of the phrase was identified in the dictionary. With the cursor at the beginning of the word, I pressed the Return button while the definition was displayed. Instead of opening the dictionary, the Kindle seemed to freeze.

However, when I pressed the Home button, the Kindle displayed the Home screen. I then tried to reopen the book and received the message "Unexpected error" with the Close option is displayed. When I clicked on Close , the Home screen was displayed but Don Quixote was not displayed. I later found it had moved to the end of the list which was sorted By Most Recent First. I tried to open the next couple books and the same thing happened.

I then reset the Kindle. After reset of the Kindle, any books opened still went to the end of the list.

I turned on the wireless so that the latest version of the free Amazon blog would download. After the download, the Kindle went back to working correctly. When I opened Don Quixote at the end of the list, it returned to the top of the list.

I have since tried looking up the word from other books and also directly in the dictionary. Each attempt resulted in the same problem occurring. I did have success reading the entry in the dictionary if I went to an entry before or after the problem word.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Curious,
Anna

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That's a new one to me. I haven't had a problem like that and I use the dictionary quite a bit.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I have a K1, and haven't had this problem.  I will note that one time when my K was acting strangely and resetting didn't help ('next page' was jumping ahead many pages), connecting to the Whispernet seemed to fix the problem.

It sounds like the problem must be with the dictionary if it happens no matter which book you look from?  I would be interested in what word to see if it happens with anyone else.

Betsy

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
It sounds like the problem must be with the dictionary if it happens no matter which book you look from? I would be interested in what word to see if it happens with anyone else.

Betsy
I received a reply from Amazon CS requesting me to phone for some real-time troubleshooting. They were able to replicate the problem on one of the "support Kindles." While the problem is being passed on the the Kindle development team, it appears that Betsy is correct and the problem is with the dictionary. It is possible to look up the word in Wikipedia and Google without any problems.

CS will send me an e-mail when they determine the resolution. In the meantime, I will keep looking up other words and hopefully will not find any more problems. (I am approximately halfway through Don Quixote, Book 2 Chapter 3, and have marked 43 words. When I get to the end I will post on the Words I have learned thread. :D )

Anna

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Annalog,

I tried looking up the word on my Kindle1 and it doesn't have any problems.  Of course, the process is different on the Kindle 1.

I searched for the word on my Kindle, went to a book I no longer wanted anyway (in case there were any problems) where the word was used, and looked it up (on the Kindle 1, you highlight the line, then the word within the line, then go to lookup.  I was able to page through the three pages of the definition with no problem.

So the problem seems to be limited to the Kindle 2.

Betsy

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmm, funny you mentioned this.  A buddy of mine was explaining the same thing to me the other day.  He was having the same problem.  So I guess your not the only one...

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Annalog,

I tried looking up the word on my Kindle1 and it doesn't have any problems. Of course, the process is different on the Kindle 1.

I searched for the word on my Kindle, went to a book I no longer wanted anyway (in case there were any problems) where the word was used, and looked it up (on the Kindle 1, you highlight the line, then the word within the line, then go to lookup. I was able to page through the three pages of the definition with no problem.

So the problem seems to be limited to the Kindle 2.

Betsy
Betsy, I wonder if there are different versions of the dictionary on the Kindle 1 and the Kindle 2. If it is a corrupt part of the dictionary, it would seem that either there are different versions or that the dictionary problem only appears with the Kindle 2.

sirsell said:
hmm, funny you mentioned this. A buddy of mine was explaining the same thing to me the other day. He was having the same problem. So I guess your not the only one...
Does your buddy have a Kindle 2 or Kindle 1? If a Kindle 2 then that is consistent with what Betsy found. If a Kindle 1 then I think that would point to different dictionary versions.

So far I have not found any more problem words. I am not expecting an update from Amazon until after Monday. I will report here when I receive an update.

Anna

1 - 7 of 7 Posts