Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so pleased that the fresh local strawberry season is upon us again. Personally, I like them best just eaten fresh, without adornment, but with a strawberry-maniac 3yo in the house, we have strawberries out the yin-yang all summer long here in a variety of ways.

I make strawberry apple sauce, strawberry pancake sauce, strawberry-rhubarb pie, and one strawberry shortcake per year (I like it only once a season, for some reason).

One of my favourite recipes is Strawberry Banana Bran Bread, one recipe for which can be found here:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=334722

And, of course, strawberry smoothies!

We're going to be some happy campers here this week when I hit the farmer's market. :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, this year I think I might attempt some fresh homemade strawberry ice cream. Wish me luck on that!

I got an ice cream churn from the crafts fair - I hope the sore arm will be worth it. :)

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
It's funny but I actually had some wild strawberries growing against the back of my house until the other day. Dunno how they got there but I accidentally mowed them down when I was cutting the grass. :(

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
i love strawberry season!!  Bought two plastic containers today (from California, unfortunately).  Yum.  Oregon strawberries should be here in the next week or two.  Double yum!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dara England said:
It's funny but I actually had some wild strawberries growing against the back of my house until the other day. Dunno how they got there but I accidentally mowed them down when I was cutting the grass. :(
I so miss wild berries. My folks have a mixed farm, a lot of which is covered with organic wild raspberry and blackberry thickets, strawberry patches, and a blueberry field. My dad has to play "beat the bears" to get to them every year before the big furry lugs mow them all down.

My folks overnight me a nice big supply of wild blueberries every year for the freezer - it makes us through the winter. :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My dad brought me strawberries from Florida twice this year.   Yummy. 
Of course I gained a couple of pounds from them.  I'm pretty sure it was the strawberries and not the bowl of ice cream I put them on every afternoon.   ;D
deb

·
Registered
604 Posts
We stopped in Plant City a few months back towards the end of the Strawberry Festival and had some strawberry smoothy.  It was unbelievably good and so cheap I could hardly believe it.  They're like tomatoes, I forget how good they can be until I get some nice and ripe in season.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thumper said:
Oh man now I want strawberries.
I don't suppose I can send one of the cats to the store for them...
Go ahead. Attach a fiver to his collar and send him out.

But don't be surprised if he wanders in tomorrow morning, sans berries, looking all scruffy and reeking of tuna.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I *think* the strawberry season has ended at our local orchard. But I bought a little strawberry plant and we have been seeing fruits. But the critters get to them before we do. :)

They posted last week that this was the last weekend for cherries. Peach season has started though :) Hmmm, wonder if I have time to stop by before our family reunion this weekend...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts