Kindle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I went to a local junior college and watched Metropolis.  In case you don't remember it, this is a silent film produced in Germany in 1928 by the great director Fritz Lang.  It's basically a science fiction film, and is considered a classic of cinema.  I've seen it before several times, even seeing it in a theater once before, but this was special for two reasons:

It is a long movie, and was heavily edited for showing in theaters.  Lots of the footage was lost for decades, but a nearly complete copy of the film was discovered in South America a couple of years ago, and it has been used to recreate nearly the whole film.  This was the first time I'd seen the "recreated" version.  It was great, because the film makes a LOT more sense now! :)  There were some plot holes introduced by the heavy editing that are better explained now.  I'm glad I saw this!

Also, rather than a recorded soundtrack, the music for this performance was done live by a group called The Alloy Orchestra.  I'd never heard of them before, but they are "professionals" at doing live accompaniment for classical film.  I'd expected a traditional orchestra (probably a small, abbreviated one), but instead they have their own setup of stuff, part of which looks like a junkyard!  But in addition to music, they use the "junkyard" to do sound effects during the film.  The whole thing was very cool.  If you have a chance to see a screening of a silent movie with The Alloy Orchestra providing music, I'd go for it!  In addition to Metropolis, they are doing Buster Keaton's "The General".  I'd love to see that, but won't get to see it for now.

A very fun evening, though Metropolis is incredibly long (over two hours) with the "found" footage!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts