Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soapy70 said:
Just thought I share this with you. Apparently they stopped this as of Sept. 1st.

I found out when I book I ordered Saturday for $5.59 went down to $3.50 within a few hours. I emailed them to ask them about it and was told that that guarantee no longer exists but they would refund me the money on the book this time and I could now purchase it for the lower amount.

I have seen many of the books I have bought drop in price after I purchased them, that is just the way things go. But usually it is weeks or months later. But not usually within a few hours. I found it almost ironic that the one time I ask about it the rule no longer exists.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Kindle and have bought over 300 books just from Amazon since I got it in February. And don't regret buying the Kindle or any of the books. It's just a little FYI.
http://www.amazon.com/Price-Guarantee-On-Books-No-More/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx2UN2CN87S1VJR/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

No responses yet. Anyone here know anything more about this?

From my past experience with Amazon price drops (on physical goods, obviously), they would always refund me the difference if I requested it through e-mail.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
I couldn't find anything official from Amazon; just comments from customers that they had been told that..  The pre-order price guarantee is still there.

Betsy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
I saw a lot of comments on the web by web reviewers that the Post Order Guarantee was never a published policy anyway.  I was told once, last year, that once something has shipped they don't typically lower prices (although they did give me the reduced price)  so I was sort of surprised to hear that they were ever doing this...

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
personally I've always had a good experience with Amazon's customer service.  If a price dropped a dollar or two I probably would not ask for a refund of the difference but if it was a good amount, I might ask.  It's never happened to me though..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
On May 27th, the Kindle price dropped from $399 to $359. Lots of people (myself included) got a $40 credit if we fell into the 30 day purchase window. That was a wonderful bonus and something I didn't expect. However, they were strict about it and there were many people who missed the deadline by a day or two and were furious. I mean really furious to the point that they were going to return their Kindles, never buy anything from Amazon again, and "stalk" them on prices --if something changed by a penny, they'd call CS and demand a penny credit.

I wonder if Amazon just decided their generous policy wasn't worth the hassle. I had the feeling then that a small group of people were going to ruin it for the rest of us.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Leslie said:
On May 27th, the Kindle price dropped from $399 to $359. Lots of people (myself included) got a $40 credit if we fell into the 30 day purchase window. That was a wonderful bonus and something I didn't expect. However, they were strict about it and there were many people who missed the deadline by a day or two and were furious. I mean really furious to the point that they were going to return their Kindles, never buy anything from Amazon again, and "stalk" them on prices --if something changed by a penny, they'd call CS and demand a penny credit.

I wonder if Amazon just decided their generous policy wasn't worth the hassle. I had the feeling then that a small group of people were going to ruin it for the rest of us.

L
I love my Kindle so much that I wouldn't have worried about the $40 credit if I missed it by a day or two..... It was worth it to me!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,558 Posts
I wanted one when I first saw them. . .but wanted to do some research.  When the price came down in May I accelerated my researching by checking out the "See a Kindle" forum.  Also looked at Sony's reader which is actually cooler looking, but the Whispernet sold me.  Plus books are generally cheaper with Kindle.  Since I also had $25 in a gift cert to spend I decided the time was right and ordered at the end of June.  Got it by the 4th of July and had it for the trips I did in the summer.

Ann
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Kirstin said:
I love my Kindle so much that I wouldn't have worried about the $40 credit if I missed it by a day or two..... It was worth it to me!!
I was totally thrilled and surprised. I just squeaked in timewise and I called right away. If I had waited a day or two, I wouldn't have been able to get the credit. And that would have been okay...it wasn't the end of the world.

But the way some people were carrying on...yikes! You would've thought they were talking about $4000, not $40!

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
I pre-ordered a book that won't be released until next Tuesday; when I ordered the price was $22.80, now it's $9.99. I emailed Amazon to ask what I would be charged when the book showed up on my Kindle. here's the response.

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing us about your pre-order for "Just After Sunset".

Since the price has changed for this item, I would recommend canceling your current pre-order and placing a new one. This will be the easiest way to ensure you get the lower price. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

It is very important for us to hear about your experience using Kindle and shopping in the Kindle store. Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ScottBooks said:
Since the price has changed for this item, I would recommend canceling your current pre-order and placing a new one. This will be the easiest way to ensure you get the lower price. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
That is pretty terrible. I wonder why they did that? At least it's easy to cancel and re-order, but still. (And worst-case scenario, I'm guessing Amazon would probably still refund you the difference if it came to that.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Scott, that's interesting.

Alot of people have noticed that when Kindle books first go online, the price is high, then bounces around a bit before finally settling in at $9.99 (or whatever the final price might be). I guess the best plan of action is to just wait and the order when the price settles at an amount that is acceptable to you. There really is no need to pre-order because of supply. Obviously the book is not going to run out. But by pre-ordering, you do get the automatic delivery or reminder when it is available.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
I had pre-ordered Just After Sunset back in June as a guilty dead tree book. I just switched my pre-order to the Kindle edition after I got one in August. It's a short story collection (not that Stephen King really understands the concept of "short"!) and Amazon sent one of the stories from the upcoming book as a present/surprise/bonus for pre-ordering.

I did switch several pre-orders of mine to Kindle editions...I still have three (another Stephen King, Andrew Vachhs and an Orson Scott Card) because they don't show up as Kindle. After yesterday and the J. D. Robb book kerfuffle; I have to cancel those pre-orders and mark my calendar with their release dates instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Leslie, I wish I was paying attention like you were!  I honestly didn't even notice they dropped the price until months later, so obviously I was way too late to get a credit.  That's great they did that, I just wish I was paying attention!! 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
:eek: Not only is the price guarantee gone, but the prices we pay on kindle are no longer the cheapest which is probably the reason the guarantee is gone!. For example, Sherrilyn Kenyon's latest, Unleash the Night is $6.99 for the Amazon paperback but $9.99 for the kindle version. Looking back as some recent purchases I overpaid more than a few times, not realizing it. I still love my kindle but after paying $399 for it I was rationalizing to myself that I'd recoup the money with the savings on book prices. Since that isn't the case any longer on many books, I have to go back to being an educated consumer and buying at the cheapest price even it's not the kindle version. With the economy in the tank right now, I can't afford to be wasteful. And like many other people I can't keep overpaying for convenience at the moment. Just my opinion![/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
mompres2008 said:
:eek: Not only is the price guarantee gone, but the prices we pay on kindle are no longer the cheapest which is probably the reason the guarantee is gone!. For example, Sherrilyn Kenyon's latest, Unleash the Night is $6.99 for the Amazon paperback but $9.99 for the kindle version. Looking back as some recent purchases I overpaid more than a few times, not realizing it. I still love my kindle but after paying $399 for it I was rationalizing to myself that I'd recoup the money with the savings on book prices. Since that isn't the case any longer on many books, I have to go back to being an educated consumer and buying at the cheapest price even it's not the kindle version. With the economy in the tank right now, I can't afford to be wasteful. And like many other people I can't keep overpaying for convenience at the moment. Just my opinion![/color]
I just check amazon and The Print List Price $7.99 and The Kindle Price: $4.74 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $3.25 (41%)

Just goes to show, you just have to wait a day or two for the price to come down.

Jodi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
I decided when I first bought my our Kindles that we wouldn't pay more than $9.99 for a Kindle title. I know I can buy paperback print volumes for less than that, but I can't buy first-release hardcovers for anything close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
mompres2008 said:
Since that isn't the case any longer on many books, I have to go back to being an educated consumer and buying at the cheapest price even it's not the kindle version. With the economy in the tank right now, I can't afford to be wasteful. And like many other people I can't keep overpaying for convenience at the moment.
For a majority of my reading, the public library continues to be my main source. If I bought every book I read, my house would be stuffed and I would be broke. ::)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top