Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured it was about time I quit lurking and got active!  I got my kindle not quite a year ago, and have fallen in love!  We were planning on moving to Brazil from Mexico and the English language books in Brazil are way too expensive for someone who reads as much as I do and the other ereaders just didn't sound right.  We have since changed our minds about moving, but I am still happy I got my kindle.  Where I live there is a large expat group and paper books are available, but new ones are expensive and you can only read what is available in the used version.  This way I can read as much as I want, take as long as I want and read what I want.  I do know of several other people in the area who have kindles and are almost as happy as I am!

I do want to say thanks for this board as questions are easier to find answers to and I feel like I am making new friends and expanding my horizons in reading.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi

Welcome aboard you'll love it here, The people are great and if you have any questions "Our Leslie" has the answers.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome Anju!

I believe you are one of our first international members. Glad to have you here!

I am assuming since you are in Mexico you buy your books and transfer them with the USB cable? Do you have a US based Amazon account and credit card to allow you to make purchases? These questions get asked all the time and since I am the FAQ person, it's nice to have someone who can give firsthand information.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Leslie

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Anju! You should get a banner or something for being an international member. :) This is a fun place to be. We have bookclubs starting in Jan, read about it in The Book Corner. Dive in with more posts.

Linda

International Member!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Anju,  Welcome to KindleBoards.  I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome Anju!  Are you near Lake Chapala?  We have close friends who moved there a couple of months ago.
It would be useful to know the answers to Leslie's questions so please respond.
Another international member- hurray!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hola Anju! It's nice to know you.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Anju said:
Figured it was about time I quit lurking and got active! I got my kindle not quite a year ago, and have fallen in love! We were planning on moving to Brazil from Mexico and the English language books in Brazil are way too expensive for someone who reads as much as I do and the other ereaders just didn't sound right. We have since changed our minds about moving, but I am still happy I got my kindle. Where I live there is a large expat group and paper books are available, but new ones are expensive and you can only read what is available in the used version. This way I can read as much as I want, take as long as I want and read what I want. I do know of several other people in the area who have kindles and are almost as happy as I am!

I do want to say thanks for this board as questions are easier to find answers to and I feel like I am making new friends and expanding my horizons in reading.
Anju, welcome! We have a great group of people here, all book lovers first. Lots of good recommendations for free and bargain books as well as our members' favorite books. Looking forward to stories about using the Kindle in Mexico!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My apology, we have other international members.  :) I modified my post & Cush's for Anju. Sorry about the mix up. So many new members my "shriveled brain" (got that from Dori) can't keep up.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Leslie - I have a U.S. credit card and a U.S. address that I received my Kindle through.  It is very easy to download books to the computer and then to the Kindle via the USB cable. The problem I have is remembering to move the files into the folder on the kindle as it is so seamlessly done.  I have gotten free books as well as books from Amazon this way.  I also have a friend in Thailand who bought her Kindle with a U.S. credit card and a U.S. address and gets her books via the computer.  You just need someone to bring the unit to you.

The only book store for new books is in Guadalajara and the prices are 2 - 3+ times the suggested price, and very limited.  No problems with the Kindle.  Saw a gentlemen in the plaza where I live the other day reading his Kindle in the beautiful sunshine, actually reading the New York Times, and he said he is also very satisfied.

And Leslie you led me through my initial usage of the Kindle on the Amazon board.  I thank you very much for your knowledge and patience with all the folks out there, including the lurkers like me.

Cush - I live in the Lake Chapala area, which is a little South of Guadalajara, I hope your friends enjoy it as much as we have for the past decade. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks, Anju.

I took my Kindle to Switzerland and Germany for 3 weeks in September. I was able to download the New York Times everyday (I have a subscription) via the USB cable. I did have one problem with The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen which I obtained as a free book while I was traveling. Since I didn't buy any other books during my trip, I have never been able to completely ascertain where the problem lay. So I am happy to make the acquaintance of a bona fide international user so that we can all learn more.

Thanks again and so glad to have you here.

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Free books, or books not from Amazon need to go through @free.kindle.com.  They then come to you through your e-mail, you move them to your desktop, then to the kindle icon (after you hook up you kindle with the USB cable), then to the document folder in your kindle.  I find this work better even if they are in the correct format i.e., txt, html, etc. for the kindle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts