Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody!  I just got my Kindle2 earlier this week for a belated birthday present and love it already.  I'm a tech geek and a reading nerd so this is awesome...  a bit about me that hopefully doesn't sound too "dating game" show talk...

I'm a 32-yr-old SoCal girl, grew up in beautiful San Diego and moved to Palmdale in 2001 for a teaching job (did I mention SD was beautiful?).  Since living here we've learned that EVERYBODY knows where Palmdale is... very weird.  Husband and I have been married since 01 but together since 93 (insert the "awwww...how cute, high school sweethearts" groan here).  We had a boy in 2004 and a girl this past June.  For a job I teach high school English (grade 9... that fantastic grade where half the population has learned about deodorant and the other half thinks swimming in cologne/perfume does the job).  Two years ago I also took on ASB (school activities) which is what I LOVE (hey, who can blame me for wanting to go to a school activity and grading that instead of grading a badly written essay?). 

In tech aspects, many years ago I stumbled across bookcrossing.com.  I'm not active on that anymore (I browse every once in a blue moon), but bookcrossing led me to geocaching which has become our number one hobby over the years.  Pair that with a ton of camping and hiking and that would be our perfect life.  November 2007 was our first trip ever to Yosemite and we are HOOKED.  We returned in April of 2008... wanted to go back in Nov of 08 but didn't think it would be a fun trip for the 4-5 month old.  This summer we've got a June trip to Sequoia National/King's Canyon, back to Yosemite in November, and then hopefully April 2010 a place in Utah a co-worker recommended (I forgot the name already), and then back to Yosemite in July (to try out Tuolomne Meadows).  Yes... we do kinda plan in advance :)

The kindle will make all these trips just a bit easier since I usually pack a book.  Plus, as you can see by my first post on the forums here (you can chastise me for my first post not being an intro  ;D ), it'll help me in my quest for a master's degree.  I think I get off easy since I'm an English major and my "textbooks" are usually novels or the like.  Thank goodness I've already taken that damn linguistics (blech) and really hard lit-crit class already!

Have been reading quite a bit on the forums and already love it here.  I had googled "kindle forum" on a lark and couldn't believe there was actually a place I was looking for, thanks!!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Welcome, Shadowraven! I think we're ranking #1 in Google right now for "kindle forum", and I'm glad that helped you find us!

I've heard of Palmdale, although I've never been there. Aren't there some huge aerospace or military plants there?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welocme, Shadowraven! Glad you found us!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Canyon Country here.  Glad you found kindle boards. Ive only been here since late Feb.  The people are way nicer than you can imagine, but they will talk you into more accessories than you thought you needed, and once you hear of them, they become must haves.  So far Ive only fallen for a skin from Decal Girl.  I hope you learn to love your kindle as much as we all do.  With all the traveling you have planned, you will soon value it more than anything. Our last trip, one week fishing in Bishop, I packed 7 books, never again.  This is a great place to be, in your spare time, (I don't imagine you have much with two kid, and a full time job), but it is worth it.  Welcome!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to the Boards.  Your life sounds so exciting.  We have a thread here concerning geocaching.  I had asked some of the folks to start one and tell me about the activity.  It sounds so much fun, and I'm planning on trying it as soon as I get moved.  Be sure to tell us about your camping trips. 
deb

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the KB!!  :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Welcome! Glad that you stumbled onto our forum for all things Kindle Plus a few ;D other things. Enjoy.
:-[ Never heard of Pdale.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harvey said:
I've heard of Palmdale, although I've never been there. Aren't there some huge aerospace or military plants there?
Yup! We've got Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and most importantly Edwards AFB. Spaceship One was also built and tested out here (we went and watched the test flight!).

bookfiend said:
Canyon Country here.
Hey there neighbor from just around the corner!

drenee said:
Be sure to tell us about your camping trips.
Oh my gosh... the first time we drove into Yosemite? Absolutely stunning, beautiful... breathtaking literally. It sounds so cliche, but nothing could have prepared us for the REAL thing. And in just two trips we have really seen so LITTLE of the park. The first time we hiked all the way up to Vernal Falls, by far our most favorite and worthwhile hike to date. We also saw Bridalveil and Yosemite Falls. When we returned a few months later we went with friends who had never been and I was five months pregnant... so Vernal was out of the question, I never would have made it. So we did Yosemite and Bridalveil again. We then did Mirror Lake which was nice, gives a good bottom view of Half Dome.

When we go to Sequoia/King's Canyon this June I'm especially looking forward to Crystal Caves.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Shadowraven and welcome to KB. Your descriptions make me want to go to Yosemite right now!!  :D  Well, maybe in a week or 2...  ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Welcome Shadowraven!
Palmdale area is my old stomping grounds from when I was a kid. We lived in Lancaster, Mojave, California City, Inyokern & Ridgecrest. Dad was an Avionics Engineer in the Navy and after retirement went into Civil Sevice and we still moved around quite often. Growing up we camped all over California and Nevada, and I have lots of wonderful memories of the places we explored.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts