Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy to be here! Over the years, I've sold 23 books to trad publishers. I'll continue to do more books that way but I'm also keen to take matters for some books into my own hands. Yesterday, I was interviewed at WFW about my journey from trad pub to epub with The Thin Pink Line, which was my debut novel back in 2003. Interested parties can read the interview here: http://womensfictionwriters.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/interview-with-lauren-baratz-logsted-and-the-not-so-secret-journey-of-taking-a-book-from-traditional-to-e-publication/.

Again, happy to be among you!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to the site! This is a good community, glad you decided to join.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome, Lauren!

I'm a real newbie here, too. I'm also traditionally published and just released my first indie title. I enjoyed The Thin Pink Line when it was originally released. Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sure I recognize that face...hmmm....

Glad to find you here!

Good interview, btw.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the KB.

You will find lots of friendly folks here......great interview.....thanks for sharing !

Good Luck with all your projects

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the many more warm welcomes! And, Mike:

medicalhumor said:
Hello,
Do you have any marketing advice for fellow authors?
Thank you,
Mike Cyra
The biggest tip I can give you doesn't have to do with marketing at all and it's this: Enjoy the journey. Far too often, I see other writers making themselves crazy, trying to cover every single marketing base, beating themselves up when they don't. The truth is - or at least I hope this is the truth! - we all got into writing because we love to write. But that love gets lost when we spend our days exclusively chasing sales. So my first advice is: Find a way to hold onto that initial joy. Now, in terms of marketing itself...

Currently, I find Twitter invaluable. It's a great place to connect with bloggers who review the kinds of things I write and therefore is a great place to hook up with people who may want to review one of my books or have me do an interview or guest blog. The trick about Twitter - or any social networking tool, really - is that you can't come on all, "Hey, go buy my book!" nor should your posts be exclusively about your book. You want people to see you as a person first as opposed to a salesperson. You want them to see that you're funny or you're interesting or you're smart or whatever your strengths are. Once you're a person to them, they'll be a lot more likely to help you out or even cheer your successes as they happen.

I'm willing to give anything a fair shot: MySpace a few years back; Facebook and Twitter in the past two years, although I far prefer Twitter to FB. And now I'm here too! But here's something else I'd advise: Do give a wide variety of things a fair shot, but then if you find it's something you really don't enjoy - whether we're talking blogging or Twitter or anything else - cut it out! The thing is, life is too short to do things you hate doing when there are other positive things you can do to further your career...like writing more and better books. Plus, if you're heart's not in a thing, people can tell.

Hope this is minimally helpful to you! And if it is, hey, you can always go buy one of my books! Kidding. Kidding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts