Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frommer's just made a bundle of 12 City Guides available for the Kindle. The guides are usually 9.99 apiece, so this is a great deal at $40... as long as you plan to travel to (or just read about) more than four of them!

Under the purchasing information is this warning:

Due to the large amount of content in this file, wireless download time is likely to exceed 60 seconds.

I understand mentioning it, because above all the Kindle books, they brag that you can start reading a book in under a minute, but I still thought it was pretty funny. Think Amazon runs into any impatient customers? Surely not!

(The Kindleboards link maker couldn't find the 12-book set, for some reason, so I linked to the Rome guide.) I added the link to the 12 book set using Linkmaker 1.0--Betsy

Thanks, Betsy! Don't know why it didn't appear when I searched for it!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I actually decided to buy this today and I can guarantee it took WAY more than 60 seconds to download (closer to 10 minutes) There are 115,104 locations (as opposed to the 24,159 in the free cookbook)

On the first page, it says if you bought the DTV of these guides, they'd weigh 8.5 pounds, fill up 3,809 pages and cost $217.88

·
Registered
534 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I actually decided to buy this today and I can guarantee it took WAY more than 60 seconds to download (closer to 10 minutes) There are 115,104 locations (as opposed to the 24,159 in the free cookbook)
:eek: !!! :eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Kindle versions of travel books are absolutely brilliant purchases!  I can't wait to have multiple travel guides in my 10.3 ounce Kindle next time we go to Europe! 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
LOL! I'm using the books AS the trip.

In the Las Vegas one, one of the places they mention as a top buffet is my all time favorite..It's at the Paris and it's AMAZING (growing up there, I NEVER, ever said that about a buffet) When I'm visiting, I eat breakfast there every day. The food is excellent, but the atmosphere is worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
221 Posts
BK said:
Frommer's just made a bundle of 12 City Guides available for the Kindle. The guides are usually 9.99 apiece, so this is a great deal at $40... as long as you plan to travel to (or just read about) more than four of them!
But is Frommer's going to provide free updates for the city guides in this bundle? Travel guides are updated quite frequently (usually annually) because the information in the guides (attraction hours, approx hotel rates, restaurant opening/closings, etc.) change all the time. If you know for sure that you are visiting at least four or five of the twelve cities in the bundle this year, then it will be a good deal. Otherwise you're probably better of buying the city guides individually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts