Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some recs, and also wondering why so many of my favorites are British.

My list, so far:

Cold Comfort Farm
A Confederacy of Dunces
Much of Pratchett
Much of Wodehouse
Don Quixote

...and I've run out already.* See how sad this list is? Please help.

*I've read Hitchhiker, it just didn't make my list. Please don't flame me for that one!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I didn't care much for Hitchhiker either.  Okay, I downright hated it.

For cozy mysteries that I found funny:

Janet Evanovich's One for the Money (series)
Karen Cantwell's Take the Monkey's and Run (Very zany)
Kaye C Hill's "Dead Woman's Shoes (British!) 

You might also look up ...  Dave Barry?  I can't remember the name of the mystery he wrote, but it was funny.  Lemme go look it up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
samanthawarren said:
Cold Comfort Farm is awesome.

I'd suggest anything by Christopher Moore. And right now I'm reading Romance Novel by PJ Jones. I was cracking up at the doctor's office yesterday.
Wasn't Joanna Lumley perfectly cast as Mrs. Smiling in the movie?

Checking out Moore and Jones now, thanks!

And now I'm trying to remember the name of that Dave Barry movie, the one with the toad who was the most evil being in the universe, and starring a young Zooey Deschanel...Big Trouble?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris had me laughing out loud. If you've ever worked in an office environment, you can probably relate to it. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
samanthawarren said:
I think they all did a wonderful job. When I finally have kids, I'm going to name my first boy Charles so I can walk around and say "Oh Chahles."
You could just get the father to change his name to Robert Poste so you can name the kid "Robert Poste's child."

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Dave Barry book would be BIG TROUBLE -- and it's a scream.

Other recommendations?  I'd second CATCH-22 though, yes, it does get dark.
And if you want funny, you'll want to check out William Goldman's THE PRINCESS BRIDE, Harry Harrison's BILL, THE GALACTIC HERO, R. A. Lafferty's short stories "Polity and Custom of the Camiroi" and "Primary Education of the Carmiroi."  And don't miss John Collier's FANCIES AND GOODNIGHTS (finally available for the Kindle) -- while not all the stories in it are funny, a number of them are, and I'm incapable of reading the closing sentences of "Over Insurance" or "Bottle Party" in that book without laughing my backside off.

While it's not a funny book, Don Robertson's MYSTICAL UNION has a chapter in which a man tries to scatter his brother's ashes at sea and that chapter is very funny indeed.  (The book as a whole is decidedly not funny, but is to my mind one of the most unjustly neglected novels I know, and if you asked me which books I wish I'd written this is the one I'd name first.)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree with the Jen Crusie books (esp Welcome to Temptation and Faking it--although they each make laugh)...also Susan Elizabeth Phillips (esp This Little Heart of Mine--the softball game) makes me laugh.

Jerry Seinfeld and Whoopi Goldberg both put out autobiographies that had me rolling.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reading this
which is free on Nook.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Tony Rabig said:
The Dave Barry book would be BIG TROUBLE -- and it's a scream.

Other recommendations? I'd second CATCH-22 though, yes, it does get dark.
And if you want funny, you'll want to check out William Goldman's THE PRINCESS BRIDE, Harry Harrison's BILL, THE GALACTIC HERO, R. A. Lafferty's short stories "Polity and Custom of the Camiroi" and "Primary Education of the Carmiroi." And don't miss John Collier's FANCIES AND GOODNIGHTS (finally available for the Kindle) -- while not all the stories in it are funny, a number of them are, and I'm incapable of reading the closing sentences of "Over Insurance" or "Bottle Party" in that book without laughing my backside off.

While it's not a funny book, Don Robertson's MYSTICAL UNION has a chapter in which a man tries to scatter his brother's ashes at sea and that chapter is very funny indeed. (The book as a whole is decidedly not funny, but is to my mind one of the most unjustly neglected novels I know, and if you asked me which books I wish I'd written this is the one I'd name first.)
Yes! Big Trouble. It was a LOT of fun.

You might like some of A. Lee. Martinez's work. Some are...over the top, but I really enjoyed The Automatic Detective and a couple of others.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't think of the funniest piece of fiction I've read off-hand, but the funniest book is clearly Anguished English compiled by Richard Federer. It's a collection of hilarious malapropisms from student papers, insurance claims forms, newspaper headlines, court proceedings, etc. The first time I read this I was literally in tears. My favorite, from a divorce case:

Attorney: Did you sleep with this man in New York?
Witness: I decline to answer that question.
A: Did you sleep with this man in Chicago?
W: I decline to answer that question.
A: Did you sleep with this man in Miami?
W: No.

There's a sequel that is not as good but still pretty funny. I believe this is the same guy who did Get Thee to a Punnery.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That reads like a racy I Love Lucy episode. I kind of love that.

grahampowell said:
I can't think of the funniest piece of fiction I've read off-hand, but the funniest book is clearly Anguished English compiled by Richard Federer. It's a collection of hilarious malapropisms from student papers, insurance claims forms, newspaper headlines, court proceedings, etc. The first time I read this I was literally in tears. My favorite, from a divorce case:

Attorney: Did you sleep with this man in New York?
Witness: I decline to answer that question.
A: Did you sleep with this man in Chicago?
W: I decline to answer that question.
A: Did you sleep with this man in Miami?
W: No.

There's a sequel that is not as good but still pretty funny. I believe this is the same guy who did Get Thee to a Punnery.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts