Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sharing this because the pros among you might look back to your early efforts with nostalgia and newbies, like me, might not feel so bad! So, I'm going through the novel (again) to make it clear of typos, grammar massacres, and weirdness. Someone suggested a program to me (Editor, by Serenity Software) where I could run the whole thing through, print out the novel with each sentence numbered and print out a corresponding list of any potential errors (by number.) Well, in my usual rushed life, I didn't pay attention to exactly which parameters I was checking off while setting up the process. So, I print this list of potential corrections and get about a ream and a half of paper in return. I almost cried. Then, I sat at a table with both piles of printouts, set to compare them. My husband walked by and laughed his butt off. Apparently, the software recorded every contraction and spell checked--when I had already spell-checked. The 2nd spell-check would not have been a big deal--except that my novel is YA sci-fi fantasy. So all the unusual names and phrases that I had added to my Word dictionary, were caught by Editor. Funny thing is while my novel is called, "Tree Hugger," I feel like a Tree Killer!
SO excited and frustrated about this whole process at the same time! Well, back to my piles of paper! ::)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually, I've heard that if you count in the environmental cost of laying ethernetline, shipping satellites into orbit, and manufacturing hardware, e-readers aren't actually that much more tree-friendly than paper books...

Sorry to hear about the editing stress.  Hope things went better on the second round!

·
Registered
554 Posts
LOL Kea, I can relate to your 'paper' horror. I also bought the programme and did the same thing. After going through reams of paper, and trying to sift out what should be done, or not - I eventually gave up. Some of their corrections didn't make sense to me at all.  My biggest help has been the naturalreader programme, which reads my novel to me, and I certainly found tons of mistakes I had missed when I read through it, heaven knows how many times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.