Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using kindle since it was released, originally on the second hardware version released as well as using apps on almost all platforms... android, ios, windows, windows mobile, etc. and even self published several kindle books for myself and friends.

It seems as if valuable user features such as "Furthest Read" are currently being abandoned and/or ignored on all platforms and apps. Searching for "Furthest Read" turns up official amazon steps that indicate that it's there, but the steps given are not there or don't work.

I just tried to transition from reading on both a kindle paperwhite and the android phone app to reading on an android tablet and the only option was to return to the android phone app, open the book, go through the process necessary to display the "location" note that and manually enter it on the tablet.

"Goto" has no other option that numeric or page location.

Sync does nothing other than tell you that page 1 is the Furthest Read location on ALL devices. Pretty strange since "Furthest Read" used to work on all apps and kindle hardware when signed in to the same account.

Essentially this means that if you need to transition between devices, it's now required to keep a paper notepad and pencil to record the location in the book each time you finish reading.

Anyone have a solution or suggestion?

Beverly Howard

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
My devices -- several kindles as well as the app on my phone and my tablet -- are all registered to my same account and I don't have any problem with syncing. It is best to go back to home when you're done reading so that it will register the most recent page read. You also need to have it set to do it on your content and devices page. I think there is also a way now to exclude devices from a global sync, but I might be wrong about that ... honestly, I haven't looked it up in a long while 'cause I haven't had problems.

So ... sorry I can't be more help -- it works for me. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like that is the issue. Those options have changed radically since the last time I was on that page.

Since my wife and I share kindle content, it looks as if that might complicate the issue.

I've turned whispersync on, and I'll tinker with it and will report back with what I find.

Anyone else have any tips when one's mate is sharing the same account?

Thanks again,
Beverly Howard

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
Glad that helped .....

My husband's kindle is on my account, though he doesn't read nearly as much as I do and rarely the same books, so it's not really an issue. Actually, as long as you're not reading the same book at the same time there shouldn't be any problem. OR if she only uses one device -- vs. switching as you say you do -- she could keep wireless normally off. Basically, only turn it on when she wants to download or remove a book she's finished with. That's what my husband does -- battery lasts longer that way, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I figured it out, but, it's not obvious.
  • You have to turn on Wispersync in content and devices on the Amazon site.
  • It is not necessary to turn on Wispersync in other family accounts.
  • However, if you plan on reading on a different shared device (such as our shared dining room tablet) it is necessary to be signed into the kindle app with your own account in order to sync... syncing isn't possible between different family member logins... simply sign the other family member out and sign in with your account.
  • If you move off of your current reading location and go to another location, you can return to the previous location in the tiles.
  • However, if you then move to a second location, kindle only remembers the last location after each move, so, you will not be able to return to your current reading location unless you know it.
  • Turning on Wispersync appears to have removed the "location" display in the bottom margin.
  • You can find the current location by tapping the 3bar menu and selecting "Goto"
    You cannot copy the location or page number there.
    You can enter the location and copy it from the entry field.
  • Pages are "published paper pages" so a "page number" may span several screens depending on the device.
  • It appears that "furthest read" has been removed from all devices and apps
Hope this is helpful to others,
Beverly Howard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts