Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just taking off my butterfly skin so I could send my broken kindle back to amazon and it was a mess.  When I recieved this skin I took off my decalgirl and it was just fine... no residue, a little stretching, but still in one piece.  Taking this skin off was difficult.... there will be no way to reuse it.  It also left the gray sticky vinyl layer everywhere on the kindle, especially around the keyboard.  It is coming off, but its taking a lot of effort.... and this skin has only been on here for maybe 2-3 weeks?  I can't imagine what it would be like if it was on it for 6 months or more.

Anyway, just wanted to post an FYI about them in case it matters to anyone else :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just received my skin from them; I have a DecalGirl skin on my Kindle and planned to replace it with the 3acp but now, I'm hesitant!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just put a 3acp skin on my kindle about a week ago. Wonder is I should remove it now so that there are no problems later.

Cindy :eek:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Ouch--sorry you're having to deal with that, but thank you for posting your experience!

·
Registered
244 Posts
While I too have just applied a 3acp skin and have concerns before I jump into removing a brand new skin, I wonder if there are any other people out there that have removed one of these skins?  If you have please let us know what your experience has been.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I noticed the residue on the 3acp skin as well.

My issues with that product (it stayed on my kindle for about an hour) is actually that the adhesive is too tacky and the material is too thin.

I got mine and put it on and made one little mistake on how I set it down and ended up trying to pull it back to reposition and it was so stuck that I ended up causing wrinkles.  I thought I could live with it but then it irritated me so I tried to pull it up again and reposition that one area and it just stretched.  While fussing with it I ended up tearing part of the skin so I gave up.  Pulling it off I noticed that in spots the adhesive left behind residue.

Went back to Decal Girl and am happier.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luvmy4brats said:
I'm sorry to hear you had problems removing the skin. I've been looking at these, but DecalGirl has so many I want that I haven't ordered any of the 3acp skins yet.

Have you been able to get it all off yet?
yeah I got most of it off...there are a few spots around the keys of the keyboard that still have gray patches but I was tired of messing with it so I will work on those later LOL

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh no! I was unsure about the whole skin thing, but 3acp had some that were a subtle design, so I took the plunge.  Hope it doesn't damage my beloved kindle!  What are you using to remove the residue? 

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a 3ACP skin on my K2 for about 1 week now. I wasn't real happy with the quality of the graphics (grainy and very muted colors compared to the pictures on their site). When I saw this thread I didn't want anything more to do with it so just peeled it off. The skin came off very easily and left no residue at all. Back to Decal Girl for me. Their new Dragon Wars skin will look cool with my new Oberon Black Sky Dragon cover  :)

Tom

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had decided to remove my 3acp skin as well because it was distracting me while reading, so tonight, when I read this thread, I decided to go ahead and pull it off. here are some pictures:

back of kindle before ripping skin off (i've already pulled top right corner up a little in the picture)

picture of some of the residue left by skin (see the seem between shiny silver and gray part)

another picture of some more residue

front of kindle after removing skin and residue (there was more residue on the front of the kindle when I pulled the skin off than on the back - something to do with surface difference? maybe...)

I liked the way this skin went on, but in pulling it off, I was bummed to see the residue. It was similar residue to a sticker on a store purchase. You can take your thumb or finger (slightly wet your finger - like persperation wet) and rub over the residue and it balls up and comes off. the area around the keys on the front was a little more tricky. I used a toothpick ever so GENTLY and rubbed the residue off if I couldn't get it off with my finger or if it fell in the seems around the keys.

I will be going back to decalgirl as well...I hope others can benefit from these pics. OH, and if you remove the skin VERY slowly, the residue tends to remain on the back of the skin instead of the kindle. Kind of like those stickers again :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm not sure about goo gone on the finish of the kindle.  I have noticed that when I turn my kindle around so that the light reflects from the front surface around the keys, you can see the rub marks from my fingers or the toothpick, so I was going to try a magic eraser and see if that works...I'll let you know...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
pawlaw aka MXCIX said:
I'm not sure about goo gone on the finish of the kindle. I have noticed that when I turn my kindle around so that the light reflects from the front surface around the keys, you can see the rub marks from my fingers or the toothpick, so I was going to try a magic eraser and see if that works...I'll let you know...
The Magic Eraser is kind of abrasive. I don't know if I'd want to try that...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Really?  O.k. I thought it would be less abrasive...Oh well, I couldn't find one around here anyway  :D  I think I'll just hang tight or, wait, I know...I have a decalgirl skin waiting to put on...i'll just put that one on... ;D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts