Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh, I just got a stinkin' one star on my previously well-rated book, Bridesmaid Lotto. The reader claims the book is not finished, when in reality it's a full-length book (with satisfying conclusion to the storyline, etc.).

I do have about two pages building a bit of a cliffhanger to lead into book two, due out in July, but it is clearly listed as part of a series in the Amazon listing.

I feel like the reader must have enjoyed it as they obviously wanted to read on, but still gave a 1 star. 

I'm so bummed.

G

·
Don't worry about it. Your average is still good. Most people can deal with cliffhangers. If they couldn't, I'd probably be the most hated writer of all time!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just earned my badge of honor too. I got my first one-star yesterday (Unbroken Hearts).

I was surprised at how quickly I got over it. The review was incoherent, especially the last sentence, and when I looked at other reviews by the same person she lost all credibility. It was so funny that she picked up one line out of the whole book (the fact that hero doesn't visit his deceased fiance's grave when he has a brief opportunity -- he's at another funeral, dealing with other tragedies, and can't handle one more reminder of loss).

The other reviews for your book are positive. The odd one-star won't crush sales. I had one of my best days for sales EVER yesterday, AFTER the bad review was posted.

Go figure. Maybe a little controversy is a good thing.

·
Registered
943 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Don't worry about it. Your average is still good. Most people can deal with cliffhangers. If they couldn't, I'd probably be the most hated writer of all time!
Yeah, I'm considering ending the next in my series as a cliffhanger. I honestly don't mind reading books that leave you hanging...and make you anxious for the next book in the series. ;)

Look at it this way, it's just that person's subjective opinion and what one person hates another one will love. :)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
AnnaM said:
I just earned my badge of honor too. I got my first one-star yesterday (Unbroken Hearts).

I was surprised at how quickly I got over it. The review was incoherent, especially the last sentence, and when I looked at other reviews by the same person she lost all credibility. It was so funny that she picked up one line out of the whole book (the fact that hero doesn't visit his deceased fiance's grave when he has a brief opportunity -- he's at another funeral, dealing with other tragedies, and can't handle one more reminder of loss).
Wow! I have to admit that you are justified in disregarding that review. Holy cow! :eek: That person doesn't like much of anything. It seems that all books are either "too short" or "too long." :D :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't get excited.  It's impossible to please everyone all the time
and most people realize that opinions vary on things.  I went over
to amazon and checked that that review was not helpful. 

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I have seen authors criticised for NOT having a few bad reviews on the rationale that a few are bound to happen and it looks like the system is being gamed. I wouldn't worry about a single one-star review at all. People tend to discount the extremes in my experience. I do unless there are a lot of them.

By the way, if someone wants to go give me a low review on Freedom's Sword-- you know just to kind of balance things out, that's ok by me. I was told recently it had too many 5-star reviews to be credible and I had to ask if I was supposed to make a sock puppet to make a low review!??  ::)

You can't satisfy some people. Seriously. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of stories where everything is tied up neatly in a bow. It seems like when you're done with stories like that there's no life in them. Part of the fun of any story for me is imagining what happened after the end. If a story has really engaged me, I'll think about the future of the characters while I'm walking or trying to fall asleep. I wouldn't worry about that review too much.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Take a look at the 3 5-star reviews and the 2 4-star reviews and then SMILE! ;D

Some people like cliffhangers, some don't... it's a part of life I guess.  I've had some books just end and get mad but only for the moment.  IF this is a series, then they'll just have to buy the second book, right??? If not... their loss!  8)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I'm feeling much better about it after a bit of time. :) I feel for anyone who is in a similar position. It's just too bad these things bring down our review averages. Ah well, what can you do?

JRTomlin said:
By the way, if someone wants to go give me a low review on Freedom's Sword-- you know just to kind of balance things out, that's ok by me. I was told recently it had too many 5-star reviews to be credible and I had to ask if I was supposed to make a sock puppet to make a low review!?? ::)
What?! That's crazy. How frustrating!

·
Registered
694 Posts
RedAdept said:
Wow! I have to admit that you are justified in disregarding that review. Holy cow! :eek: That person doesn't like much of anything. It seems that all books are either "too short" or "too long." :D :D
It seems she posts a review nearly every day, and she's a glutton for punishment -- almost all are one star. After looking through her reviews I wondered why she bothers to read at all. Maybe she should take up gardening or skate boarding instead.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've had similar comments, although I have not had a 1-star because of it. I say there is nothing wrong with cliffhangers. It's the author's right to have them, especially if a book is a part of a trilogy / series.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
jimbronyaur said:
Take a look at the 3 5-star reviews and the 2 4-star reviews and then SMILE! ;D

Some people like cliffhangers, some don't... it's a part of life I guess. I've had some books just end and get mad but only for the moment. IF this is a series, then they'll just have to buy the second book, right??? If not... their loss! 8)
You can look at as the fact that the review will keep the people who hate cliffhangers from buying and possibly leaving bad reviews and the people who LIKE cliffhangers will actually be encouraged to buy.

At least it wasn't one of those "this novel sucks" reviews. So make lemonade from the lemon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What kind of a moron gives away the ending in a review?

Truthfully, this isn't that bad. It's clearly stated there is only one reason for the low stars and most readers wouldn't have a problem with it. I wonder if you could to report it to Amazon for the spoiler alert?

And just remember that EVERY writer gets unfavorable reviews. Even Hemingway.

Here's some tweets I have favorited by best-selling, big six authors.

@ilona_andrews I see so many conflicting I just ignore them all and write the way my books need to be written. I listen to my editor.

ilona_andrews Ilona Andrews
Just to clarify: I don't read negative or positive reviews, aside from a very narrow window after the book's release. :)

YasmineGalenorn YasmineGalenorn
good or bad, reviews can throw you off your game. And ruin your day. Or swell your head.

Shake it off and move on.  ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
What bothers me most about the review is not the 1-star.  The reader read the book all the way to the end so she must have liked it enough to get that far.  She should have been more moderate and given it a higher star rating but noted that she didn't care for the cliff hanger aspect.  What really bothers me about the review is the title insinuating that the book is not complete.  That's what would get under my skin.  Still, it seems she's only posted a couple of "reviews" so maybe she'll get bored and go away so no one else need suffer for her lack of restraint.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
RachelAstor said:
Sigh, I just got a stinkin' one star on my previously well-rated book, Bridesmaid Lotto. The reader claims the book is not finished, when in reality it's a full-length book (with satisfying conclusion to the storyline, etc.).

I do have about two pages building a bit of a cliffhanger to lead into book two, due out in July, but it is clearly listed as part of a series in the Amazon listing.

I feel like the reader must have enjoyed it as they obviously wanted to read on, but still gave a 1 star.

I'm so bummed.
Then I guess the reviewer wouldn't enjoy Gone with the Wind. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts