Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, season 3 is coming - like winter. They are splitting book 3 across two seasons, so I wonder where they'll break it up. My guess is the season finale will be the Red Wedding.

There was a panel discussion recently with the makers of the show, with Martin present, which you can read about and see here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/game-of-thrones-season-3-george-r-r-martin_n_2915069.html

One thing we learn quickly: don't hold your breath for "The Winds of Winter" any time soon. I mean, if Martin is saying "it will be a long time coming" - that means extra, super long time coming.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Just please be aware that many who watch the show have not read all or any of the books... so i.e.: Spoilers! I only glanced at your post because it looked like you posted possibly one or two... Sorry if I am wrong/paranoid but I see it on the IMDB board all the time!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually quite careful not to post spoilers.  Mention of the Wedding isn't a spoiler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am super excited for the new season.

I made a point of finishing the first book before I watched the first season and I've found that I enjoy both equally (unusual as I almost always prefer novels to screenplays).

I only hope the TV show will keep me going till The Winds of Winter arrives. Any one up for petitioning GRRM to bring out the first half before xmas? I'm sure it's be at least the size of a paperback by now.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
intoanna, I too enjoy both equally and I have read all the novels. I think it is because GRRM has an active role in the show.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been looking forward to this for months, and according to fan sites the RW is episode nine - can't wait to see people's reactions to that one :) Looking forward to more Jaime/Brienne scenes, those two were hilarious in the books.

George just seems to be touring about for the show now, is he even working on the sixth book?? Last I heard he was talking about prequels, wish he'd just bloody finish the series first!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw an interview with Martin and he said he still only intends for it to be 7 books.  And he is working on the new one.  I do remember he even posted a chapter on his web-site and supposedly he's been reading chapters at conventions.  But I wish he'd just stay home and continue writing.

Also, with RW - Martin said he didn't want to write that episode because he found it hard enough to write in the novel.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've been watching season 2 again in preparation.

To be honest, I'm enjoying the TV series more than the books. That's probably just because of their size and the gaps between releases. When a new book arrives I know I'm missing things because I've forgotten bits of detail.

I'm sure it'll be another great season!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Wow wow wow!!! I can not remember another show that was this riveting and shocking! I woke up still thinking about it... I did not see that coming at all and exactly why I'm glad I did not read all the books!

I do have some questions...
I knew I something was off about this wedding after the scene when Robb's wife was brought forward... Who exactly was the man that killed Robb? Clearly a traitor but there a couple of actors on the show who look very much a like... he looks like the guy that plays Stannis who looks like his Knight who he imprisoned... and I know he was not either of these guys... LOL. I am guessing he was his one of Robb's main commanders...?

Also, did Bran enter the eagle the attacked Jon Snow or the Wolf?

I was so hopeful that Arya would be reunited with her Mother, I know chances were slim... clearly it is better that she did not but I wonder if it might not have been better if she had a moment with them... perhaps right before the wedding and then she would go to change and then escape... oh to be so close! :mad:

Not a good day to be a Stark!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Haha you should see what people are saying on facebook and twitter. As a fan of the books I knew what was coming (but it was still shocking) but so many people are blaming HBO for what happened and saying that the are going to boycott the rest of the show. It's extremely amusing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh my God, I was reeling for about five straight minutes afterwards.

I saw a picture of Robb hovering over Talisa on Tumblr and thought it was a major spoiler that she died. So when it all started to go down, I was just going "No. No. Nooooo! No way!".

Quick question: do we know/find out what happened to Edmure after he was taken away?!

I'm currently reading Storm of Swords; can't wait til I'm all caught up.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I've read some of the books, but not to this point.  Glad I didn't but I was blown away.  And I watched it at about midnight local time (taped) so had no one to share it with.  Shoulda posted here!!!!  Got up and texted the grandson who watches, right away.

Betsy

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
It was a hard part of the book to get through.
Because somehow,
the good guys always escape the worst.
But not with Martin. He discards individual characters, entire families and .......

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some brief answers with minimal spoilers:

Cuechick said:
Who exactly was the man that killed Robb? Clearly a traitor but there a couple of actors on the show who look very much a like... he looks like the guy that plays Stannis who looks like his Knight who he imprisoned... and I know he was not either of these guys... LOL. I am guessing he was his one of Robb's main commanders...?
The man who killed Robb was Bolton, one of Robb's bannermen. It was his men who captured Jaime and cut off his hand. In a previous episode, Jaime asked Bolton to give Robb Stark his regards - hence Bolton saying, "The Lannisters send their regards."

penrefe said:
Quick question: do we know/find out what happened to Edmure after he was taken away?!
Edmure survives.

I'm enjoying the pain of everyone who hasn't read the books. :D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This show is just so fricken good! Thanks for those that answered my questions and an LOL to RJ!

Can't wait for next weeks finale... but then the pain of another year till season 4!!!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This was a great episode. I have been dreading it for about a year! I knew what would happen at the Red Wedding even before I read the book, so I was dreading it when I read it too. It was tough to get through. The show was slightly different from the novel, but quite effective.
In the novel Robb's wife - who is a totally different woman from the character on the show - does not travel with him to the Wedding, so she survives. And Catelyn's reaction to Robb's death in the novel is very different: she goes berserk, start screaming and clawing at her face, basically scratching her face off before they cut her throat. The show's approach was quite effective, though. That conversation between Robb and Catelyn about just ending things once and for all sort of explains her sheer exhaustion at that point. She welcomes death.

Anyhow, as someone mentioned the man
who kills Robb
is Roose Bolton, one of his most important bannermen. His family's sigil is the flayed man. Think about flaying....there are more surprises to come.

The facebook reactions of all of my friends who haven't read the books have been amazing. Check out this video here of people's reactions: hilarious!

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/lol-this-video-compilation-of-people-reacting-to-game-of-thrones-red-wedding-last-night/

Also, this was great. People who didn't know and people who read the book in one image:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, I will offer a few words of comfort: Yes, there are repercussions to the murders.  Remember Walder Frey (who played Filch in "Harry Potter!") welcomed Robb and Catelyn into his home as guests, sharing food and drink with them, thus guaranteeing their safety.  This is a sacred custom in Westeros.  And his violation of this sacred custom offends all the gods.  His entirely family may now be cursed.

The Starks are for all intents and purposes wiped out.  But the kids are still out there and they all have powers and talents.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, "The North Remembers" are words spoken by character the show is yet to introduce.  The Starks have friends and they are not amused.  ;D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts