Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tis the season!  Do any of you like garage saleing?  Our neighborhood is having a street sale this weekend and my son is over the moon with the giant bin of legos he just bought.  (And bless his heart, he talked the guy down from $60 to $40.)  I showed him how to negotiate a better price last summer when we were out and about.  It's hilarious to watch him in action. 

I love looking for seashells and cool vases.  My husband doesn't like me looking for anything at all, and asks me to stop bringing junk home.  :)

So, any of you make any great finds?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I love garage sales!!  I've found everything from designer clothing to toys to furniture.  A few years ago, I outfitted my office with a rocking chair, a nearly-new desk chair, and a CD tower.  I also like finding software and CD's.  And, of course, books...

·
Registered
604 Posts
My brother bought a signed piece of Daum Nancy cameo glass at a church bazaar for $.50
It's Ugly, but it's real French Art Glass from way back and probably worth at least a few
hundred dollars.  I was, and still am, jealous.  I got a pair of ceramic mice salt and pepper
shakers I gave my mother for Christmas.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
So, any of you make any great finds?
Ooh, I love garage saling. In fact my mom and I were supposed to go together this morning but my dad got sick so we had to cancel. I haven't been yet this year to no great finds recently. In the past I've gotten some good stuff though: lamps, a coffee table, an end table, toys for the kids, and decorative items for the house... Other people's trash is definitely my treasure.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ignore your husband, keep garage saleing...Me...I found the worst EMS book I've ever read, which made me write my own book.

Mike Cyra

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, that's such an awesome story!  That way, I can write off my garage saleing on my taxes as writing research....hmm...

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 400 mile yard sale is going on in Kentucky right now. Wish I could go, but am stuck on crutches. I've missed it the last two years and I'm not a happy camper! They have this every year so if you're down this way next year don't pass it up. I hope it's okay to list the website. I have no affiliation whatsoever; just thought it would be cool to share.

www.400mile.com/

·
Registered
100 Posts
Garage sales are wonderful! I can shop all day without the guilt of spending a lot of money. I'd say about 1/4 of the furnishings in my house and almost everything in my camper originally came from "sale-ing." Probably my favorite find ever (back in the good old days, before eBay) was a big case of "vintage" Barbie dolls, with a load of original clothes and doll furnishings. I think I gave the guy five bucks for the whole lot. :eek: A bunch of it sold quickly to a local collector for $250 plus I picked up plenty of dimes and dollars at my own yard sales with the remains of that load of stuff.

But, like today, I usually just end up with a bunch of books.  :D

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Once in a great while, I find one that's interesting, but in my area, I tend not to have any luck.  Most garage sales near me (which consist of the same houses every year) consist of 1.) baby clothes/kids' toys, 2.) boxes of romance novels, 3.) knick-knacks and 4.) Christmas stuff.  Once in a while I do find books or CD's, and once my sister found a cool glass bottle that now has a home in my mom's bathroom. 

·
Registered
421 Posts
Locally, 'garage sales' are piles of junk just dumped on the ground - the sellers think they've made a huge effort if their piles are on blankets or sheets.  And the sellers don't interact with the buyers at all other than collecting $.  I figure if they aren't willing to make a little effort, I'm not willing to paw through it all.

What I enjoy are estate sales (usually the items are in the house), and shopping at thrift stores run by auxiliaries of charities.  Prices are a wee bit higher but I've gotten some real deals. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts