Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit, I'm a bit of a Kindle noob. Actually, I haven't even seen one in person yet. But there's a good reason for that and it's got something to do with the Kindle not being available outside the United States. *sigh*

I've no doubt it will happen at some point. Much like Apple, Amazon aren't exactly a short-sighted company, it's only a matter of time before we see the Kindle in other parts of the world, and it likely has to do with copyrights and other legalities of publishing in different countries. There's a lot of red tape and it sucks for all of us in other parts of the world who want to get our grubby little mitts on the Kindle.

Fortunately, I did some digging around and discovered that there are ways and means to access Amazon's Kindle book library without being in the U.S. For a little while I've been buying books and using my iPhone to read them using the Kindle app. That gets old pretty quick, though. The screen is simply too small for extended reading, and the backlighting strains my eyes after a while. No, this simply would not do.

So, a couple of days ago I went eBay hunting and finally bit the bullet. I purchased a slightly used first generation Kindle which I should hopefully receive next week. Why a first generation, you may ask? As sexy and Apple-like as the K2 is, the non-removable battery is a bit of a worry considering I won't be able to just take it back and get a replacement in Australia if the battery should cark it. And it likely will happen long before the device dies (such is the nature of rechargeable batteries). I figured with a K1, I could always just buy a new battery on eBay and be done with it.

There's also the issue of upgrading in the future. When (read: not 'if') Amazon brings the Kindle to Australia, I'll likely need to purchase a new device to use its wireless capabilities here. It's inevitable. There will also be a bigger leap in the technology, I'm guessing, between the current K2 and the next iteration of the Kindle, compared to the mostly UI-centric and aesthetic upgrades from the K1 to the K2.

So yeah, I'll wait it out, and use the K1 in the mean time. It does everything I need it to do. For a fair while I was contemplating a different brand of eBook reader such as a BeBook. But honestly, the device is only as good as the content available for it, and if you don't have access to Amazon's library and their prices, I feel it's kind of pointless (not to mention, book prices in Australia are absolutely ridiculous, even for the digital ones).

Anyway, there's my reasons for buying a Kindle while living in Australia. I'm curious to know if there are any other Aussies on these boards, and of the experiences of other Kindle users outside the U.S.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Welcome to the boards reemix :) glad to have you here.

I just purchased a used K1 today myself , it will serve as my "travel" back up for my K2 :)

Let us know when your K1 arrives..would luv to hear how you like it.

Again welcome :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I will definitely let everyone know what I think of it when it arrives (I'll probably be raving about it for weeks).

On another note, I've just discovered the 'Accessories' section of the forums, and ummmm... I think that may have been a bad move on my part. At least for my wallet. There's some awesome cases and stuff available for the Kindle, and a devoted fan following of some of them. Craziness.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, we are great at enabling here at the KBs.  But we are also good at finding book bargains and freebies for our Kindles.  You should be sure to check out the book bazaar for those.

And welcome!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
G'Day - really nice to have you here.  There is another Aussie here, a mother whose daughter gave her a kindle, but have no idea where in Australia she is located.  Where are you?  I was posted to Alice Springs twice, many many years ago and have loved Australia ever since, always had a fascination for it before but love jumped in.

You really do need to watch out for the enablers, they will lead you astray, but good-heartedly  ;)

Keep us posted on what's going on down-under.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
G'Day - really nice to have you here. There is another Aussie here, a mother whose daughter gave her a kindle, but have no idea where in Australia she is located. Where are you? I was posted to Alice Springs twice, many many years ago and have loved Australia ever since, always had a fascination for it before but love jumped in.

You really do need to watch out for the enablers, they will lead you astray, but good-heartedly ;)

Keep us posted on what's going on down-under.
It is only astray if you buy something you end up not liking, if you get something you love you were helped. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YAY! My Kindle arrived today, all packed up in its cute little book-shaped box. I can tell it was only slightly used. It still looks (and smells) like new. Awesome sauce.

I had a small moment of panic when I first went into the settings and realised that editing the 'account name' and 'device name' requires a connection to WhisperNet. Of course, somewhere in my head was the knowledge that you can register directly from the Amazon site, but I was panicking rather than thinking at that moment. Call it a stupidmoment.

I've got my books loaded up on it now, and also a couple of funky screensavers I found on the boards. Might make a few of my own at some point, when I can decide what images to use. Next will be the DecalGirl skin I ordered (dark burlwood) which has shipped already, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. And then it will be one of the extraordinary Oberon covers because, well, how could I not after hearing practically everyone on these boards talk them up so much. But also because I've already witnessed the Kindle falling out of its original cover on more than one occasion. Yeah, they didn't think that one through too well, did they?

I'm absolutely in love with my Kindle. Just spent the last couple of hours reading Stephen King's 'On Writing' on it. I'm still amazed at the clarity of the eInk screen; it's even better than I thought it would be. It's comfy to hold, too, and the dictionary lookup feature has already proven useful. Reading on the Kindle is pure bliss. I'm stoked. :D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
reemixx said:
It's comfy to hold, too, and the dictionary lookup feature has already proven useful. Reading on the Kindle is pure bliss. I'm stoked. :D
It only gets better, wait, just wait!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome reemix. I'm a newb here as well. I am curious about one thing thing pertaining to owning a Kindle in Australia. I understand you bought it on ebay, how are you registering it and are you buying Amazon books? If so I guess you have a US credit card and are just downloading the files to your pc or mac and the syncing them?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
suicidepact said:
Welcome reemix. I'm a newb here as well. I am curious about one thing thing pertaining to owning a Kindle in Australia. I understand you bought it on ebay, how are you registering it and are you buying Amazon books? If so I guess you have a US credit card and are just downloading the files to your pc or mac and the syncing them?
I'm not sure how much is allowed to be said on Kindleboards about this, specifically. So I'll just say that, yes, I do something similar to that, and I do have to use a computer to download the books and then transfer via USB to the Kindle, since there's no WhisperNet here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts