Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting on the fence big time over getting the K2 (but leaning more and more as I keep reading.....).  I have only had my K1 since Halloween and I love it and feel that it meets all of my needs and more.  BUT like many others here I'm sucked in by the new features of K2 (sleeker, thinner, longer battery life, 16 shades of gray, etc).  I am not a techy-gadgety person by nature and have had my Dell laptop for 3 yrs, keep my cell phones for the required 2 yrs. etc.  If I get the K2, how soon will it be before the K3, K4 and so one come out and how much can they keep improving it?  Can it get any thinner or lighter in weight?  Can they shrink the size w/out shrinking the screen?  I realize that anything is possible, but I don't want to buy a new one each time they are released!  Grrrrrrrrrrr, I've got till midnight to decide!!!
Any thoughts?
Ruby

·
Registered
193 Posts
kindle 3 is unlikely before next year. Lighter? not likely, maybe smaller though. All rumors are that they are working on a bigger student version though.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Generally, gadgets tend to follow a year to 18-month life cycle before the next one is available.

That said, when I got my brand new Sony Clie years ago, the next one came out less than six months later.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benjamin said:
kindle 3 is unlikely before next year. Lighter? not likely, maybe smaller though. All rumors are that they are working on a bigger student version though.
Student version is good, I can only hope they have a wonderful one when my kids go off to college........

pidgeon92 said:
Generally, gadgets tend to follow a year to 18-month life cycle before the next one is available.

That said, when I got my brand new Sony Clie years ago, the next one came out less than six months later.
Thanks Pidgeon, I know it's hard to predict the future...........

Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
Amazon is a retailer, not a hardware company that is focused on usability like Apple, therefore, their changes are likely to just be improvements as opposed to a complete redesign. The device will probably keep a similar form factor, but will keep adding features and improving the basic viewing experience (ie, faster page turns, crisper screen, etc.). For example, the one thing that probably would have lured me to upgrade would have been if they'd extended the screen and integrated a touch screen keyboard. However, that would be a complete redesign and I'm not holding my breath for that. Maybe the K3 or K4....

As far as I'm concerned, my K1 works just fine and the K2 is not different enough to lay out $$$ to upgrade. If (when) my K1 breaks I'll happily upgrade but until then, I'll wait for further versions and just keep reading on my K1.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Ruby: My question to you is this? What will the K2 do that your K1 does not do?

Right now I can say that there is nothing on the K2 that I feel I need. I don't need text to speech. I don't need the increase in memory because I have an SD slot on my K1. I don't need the longer battery life, I can recharge my K1 easily enough and I can replace the battery easily enough. I am not worried about the speed of page flipping. I don't have many books with pictures so I don't feel I need to get the 16 grey scale.

That is my decision. Your decision is going to be based on what you feel is important. If sleeker, thinner, longer battery life, 16 shades of gray, etc are important to you, then go for it. No one can tell you when K3 is coming and what it will have that is different then K1 or K2. All we can tell you is that is the day will come when K3 is announced. The only way there is no K3 is that Amazon looses a ton of cash on K2, which is not likely.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was slightly tempted to upgrade... but the fact it was longer stopped me. the changes simply weren;t worth the cost for me if I couldn't keep my current covers... especially since I have only had miy current one for a few months.

Now if/when they intregrate zTouch... I will upgrade, even if it is a different size and keep my original as a back-up.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If they had upgraded the software to include folders, I would say go for it. However, the more I think about it the less I am tempted to buy the K2. Even though I like gadgets and have many, I do not feel differences are worth the change at this time.  I do have to confess that I was still using a Motorola StarTac phone until 10/07, ;D so once I find a gadget I like, I hate to give it up.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Benjamin said:
Yeah, the next version might be a ways off.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
worktolive said:
For example, the one thing that probably would have lured me to upgrade would have been if they'd extended the screen and integrated a touch screen keyboard. However, that would be a complete redesign and I'm not holding my breath for that. Maybe the K3 or K4....
Guess we all have different wants......I would not like a touch screen at all!

ProfCrash said:
Ruby: My question to you is this? What will the K2 do that your K1 does not do?

Right now I can say that there is nothing on the K2 that I feel I need. I don't need text to speech. I don't need the increase in memory because I have an SD slot on my K1. I don't need the longer battery life, I can recharge my K1 easily enough and I can replace the battery easily enough. I am not worried about the speed of page flipping. I don't have many books with pictures so I don't feel I need to get the 16 grey scale.

That is my decision. Your decision is going to be based on what you feel is important. If sleeker, thinner, longer battery life, 16 shades of gray, etc are important to you, then go for it. No one can tell you when K3 is coming and what it will have that is different then K1 or K2. All we can tell you is that is the day will come when K3 is announced. The only way there is no K3 is that Amazon looses a ton of cash on K2, which is not likely.
I would love the text to speech-there are definitely times when I could use that feature. I have not been able to get a replacement battery yet, so yeah I do worry about that..........and as far as NEED goes, I don't need the K2 at all. I doubt anyone NEEDS it. I was merely thinking out loud and wondering what others here at the board thought about the future generations.

TM said:
I was slightly tempted to upgrade... but the fact it was longer stopped me. the changes simply weren;t worth the cost for me if I couldn't keep my current covers... especially since I have only had miy current one for a few months.

Now if/when they intregrate zTouch... I will upgrade, even if it is a different size and keep my original as a back-up.
If I do upgrade to the K2 I'm not crazy about having to get another cover either......that is one reason why I still haven't clicked "buy".

sherylb said:
If they had upgraded the software to include folders, I would say go for it. However, the more I think about it the less I am tempted to buy the K2. Even though I like gadgets and have many, I do not feel differences are worth the change at this time. I do have to confess that I was still using a Motorola StarTac phone until 10/07, ;D so once I find a gadget I like, I hate to give it up.
Wow, your StarTac had a good long life! I got one back in the late 90's and I think it died after a yr. or so!
Ruby

·
Registered
788 Posts
Put me in the line of people with pitchforks and torches shouting "no touch screen on my Kindle!"

I do NOT want to have to put a protective sheet on it to keep it clean, because those things always glare, and I don't want to have to put my grubby little fingers on my screen so I have to read through fingerprints and smudges. Touch screens are cool, I have a Nintendo DS, but I don't see how they're the next best thing in technology, not while people still have oil on their skin that can transfer and make the screen messy.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
A touch screen would be awful. The Sony Reader 705 has one and it has been panned by Sony 505 users. The additional screen (at least that is what I have read) has caused for there to be a real problem with glare. And I don't want finger prints on my screen. Heck, I wipe down my cell phone after I use it because I don't like the smudged screen on my cell phone.

Folders, all I want are folders. Why is that so hard? And a replaceable battery. And an SD card slot. I do like the text to speech, I think that is great. It is not enough to get me to upgrade but I like the concept. It would be cool at the gym.

·
Registered
679 Posts
ProfCrash said:
A touch screen would be awful. The Sony Reader 705 has one and it has been panned by Sony 505 users. The additional screen (at least that is what I have read) has caused for there to be a real problem with glare. And I don't want finger prints on my screen. Heck, I wipe down my cell phone after I use it because I don't like the smudged screen on my cell phone.

Folders, all I want are folders. Why is that so hard? And a replaceable battery. And an SD card slot. I do like the text to speech, I think that is great. It is not enough to get me to upgrade but I like the concept. It would be cool at the gym.
With the Sony 700, they had to do touch by adding a glass screen overlay... and yes, it caused glare. With zTouch (a new touch system being worked on in partnership with the makers of ePaper) there is no need for the screen overlay, so screen appearance won't change. I don;t want it for turning pages of using my fingers, but for using a sylus. I would love to be able to make handwritten notes, doodle, do puzzles, highlight, and navigate menus via touch (plus get rid of the keyboard). Of course, I am one that loved the iLiad for those reasons...

if the next Kindle does have zTouch, i do hope Amazon will also sell a version wiothout it for those who have no desire for touch (like Sony is doing).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts