Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've talked about this in bits and spurts, but how about boiling it down.

What's your genre and best 3 months of 2012? How about your worst?

If you have more than one genre, share them all :)

Me: Romance (rom com)
BEST:  July, Aug & Sept - Basically triple the other months.
WORST: Jan, March, April

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Nooooo, don't make me look at my spreadsheets, Caitie. I HATE spreadsheets. ;D

Looks like my best months were July, August, and December. My worst were January, February, and April.

I mostly write urban fantasy and paranormal.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I write everything, with varying degrees of success, and it all sold about the same in 2012. My best months were May/June/July, but that was more or less the goat's doing.

And just to prove that you never can tell, my best non-goat-related months, excluding new releases, seem to have been Feb/Mar/April, for rom-coms. Sept, Oct, Nov were crickets; I sold literally one rom-com a month, each of those three months.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Sweet contemporary YA mysteries

Best: December, May, June
Worst: August, September, October

FWIW, my own reading habits tend to run towards historical romance and romantic suspense in the winter, with romantic comedies (both YA and adult) and funny mysteries in the summer.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
YA PNR

2011: May, June, July-best
Jan, Feb, March-worst

2012: Jan, Feb, Mar-best
Sept, Oct, Nov-worst

What do I conclude from this? Seasons do not matter, at least not to people who buy my books. Or ate least. Amazon algos, PoI, and BookBub matter much more.

My other genres sell so pitifully that the difference is generally too small to be significant. My worst month, I sold zero horror books. My best month I sold 8! Ehh...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I write urban fantasy/paranormal.

2012 best months:
May, June, Oct

2012 Worst:
Jan, Feb, Mar

But my results are skewed because I started working with a mentor in March. Things took off in a big way in May. As with most people my best months correlate to new releases as well.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
smreine said:
The new book looks great, VJC! Was that your fast drafted book?
Yeah, it was. I didn't think it would work to write new adult action, but it might have. Actually, I'm really lucky, because A. Meredith Walters, author of Bad Rep and Find You in the Dark apparently is a fan of the Jason and Azazel books. She mentioned the new book on facebook and suddenly, it was crazy time. It's selling well. (Knock on wood.)

Anyway, I think this means you should totally write new adult paranormal. The Cain Chronicles are arguably new adult anyway, and I think easy to pick up without reading the other books in the series (because that's what I did. Sucker for baby daddy drama, and I didn't want to wait four books for it!), but it's not the same. Okay, I'm teasing. Like you don't have enough on your plate with two active series.

Oh... um, keep talking about seasons people. I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion thread. (Sorry for the highjack.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Historical fiction
Best of 2012 in order: February, January, March
Worst...:December, November, October :mad: :'( ???

Thought it couldn't get any worse than December but then came January 2013...what a difference a year makes!

And thanks for validating the spreadsheets; tired of having to explain it to writer buds who think they're too much work.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
valeriec80 said:
Yeah, it was. I didn't think it would work to write new adult action, but it might have. Actually, I'm really lucky, because A. Meredith Walters, author of Bad Rep and Find You in the Dark apparently is a fan of the Jason and Azazel books. She mentioned the new book on facebook and suddenly, it was crazy time. It's selling well. (Knock on wood.)

Anyway, I think this means you should totally write new adult paranormal. The Cain Chronicles are arguably new adult anyway, and I think easy to pick up without reading the other books in the series (because that's what I did. Sucker for baby daddy drama, and I didn't want to wait four books for it!), but it's not the same. Okay, I'm teasing. Like you don't have enough on your plate with two active series.

Oh... um, keep talking about seasons people. I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion thread. (Sorry for the highjack.)
Woo, congrats on the mention! It looks great. I picked up a copy, so it's on my tbr now...along with a million other books. Heh.

Cain Chronicles was meant to stand on its own, so I'm glad that it made sense to you without reading the other books. :) The next book (about Rylie's kids) is supposed to be new adult paranormal romance, actually, which is possibly the most confusing thing I've ever written. I managed to squeeze in a sexy reclusive billionaire that also happens to be a rogue angel in exile. So...yeah...that happened.

Okay, end threadjack, sorry.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd chime in but frankly my sales data is so in flux right now it'll be another year before I have something useful to the rest of you, if then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts