Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a Kindle 3G and am trying to persuade my wife to do so too. As she teaches German, one of her key requirements is to be able to purchase German books. But preliminary research seems to indicate that this can't be done. At least, not from the rich sources from which she buys paper books, like Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de

Is that really true? If so it's very disapppointing. I thought one of the basic premises of buying online was that it extends across country boundaries?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've bought a number of German books on Amazon - many classics are free. My last acquisition was Thomas Mann's Die Buddenbrooks. When you search for an author just put 'German' into the search line.
The guys at mobilread have a large number of lovingly reformatted German classics available for download too. You just need to put the their Mobipocket Guide onto your Kindle and download the books straight from it.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I know that there is now an Amazon.de, which is the German Amazon, right?  I think they just expanded into that area, though.  I am not really sure how someone in the U.S. buys from there, but it may be something to look at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you can only buy book on Amazon.de if you live in Germany. I think it has to do with book rights. Some sellers, and publishers have book rights in certain countries and not in others. I think that's why Amazon has restrictions by country.

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Chris William said:
I think you can only buy book on Amazon.de if you live in Germany. I think it has to do with book rights. Some sellers, and publishers have book rights in certain countries and not in others. I think that's why Amazon has restrictions by country.
I think this is the basic idea. Some titles may very well be available through the US store, but I'd think that would be limited to perhaps some classics and independents. Current big titles in Germany are quite likely to be restricted by national distribution agreements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts