Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MacBook Pro, 15in. is fifteen years old—really it is—I'm getting a new one and was wondering if my old Word program ( 2008 ) will work on the new computer?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not sure, but if you're getting a Mac, I highly recommend getting Vellum. I write all my books on it and never, ever lose files. I love it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for reminding me about Velum! I have it already. I was on the testing program before it was launched.  :) I've been out of the loop for the last two years and am getting back to work on my fourth novel.
Can't believe I forgot——but I'v never written in the program, just generated the files for Amazon. Thanks again!  :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your older version of Word should work. I have a 2011 version on my relatively new macBookPro. You may already know, but Mac's come with a wordprocessor caled Pages. And, if you don't want to purchase a new version of Word, there are some free open source office suites available that will run on your new Mac too.

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
Gessert Books said:
Mac OS no longer runs 32-bit software, and I believe Word '08 was 32-bit software. But there are lots of ways to create Word files, including the already-mentioned Pages.
I was going to say this. A new Mac will come with Catalina pre-installed and I assume that a machine that old will have given up updating long ago. Catalina is 64-bit only. Many software companies (including Adobe for Photoshop) had to scramble like mad to make their software compatible.

I highly doubt a 2008 program will work, especially one developed by *gasp* Microsoft.

A rarely-stated advantage of Macs is that they come with a lot of excellent useful software for free. Use it.

Or if you really like Word, upgrade that, too.

I got a Mac in 2015. I used it so much it's about to die on me. I was going to get Word, but I never did. It's not necessary.

With a new machine, you're going to have to get used to all-new software anyway. The latest incarnation of Word will be unrecognisable to you. Try Pages (which is clean, simple, and free) and you can always get Word later, if you still want. Or write in Vellum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gessert Books said:
Mac OS no longer runs 32-bit software, and I believe Word '08 was 32-bit software. But there are lots of ways to create Word files, including the already-mentioned Pages.
Whoops, yeah, I should have thought of that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One thing which is cool in Pages is you can create an ePub version of your book directly without any extra plugins or software. I like to edit by reading my book like a "real" book on my iPad. I convert my document to an ePub, save it, upload it to iCloud or share it via AirDrop, and viola, it's there on my iPad and I can read it in the Books app.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! Looks like I have options.  :)

One reason I've waited so long——the old computer is still working---and I simply dread learning all the new equipment. No computer whiz here!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've always found Pages to work just fine... and I'm a Word lover. You can still save to a .docx, etc.

There are also lots of other options with the apps... even online. Google docs, etc.

Congrats on upgrading. <3

·
Registered
533 Posts
I absolutely love my MacBook Air and fear the day it'll stop working. I've logged at least 4 hrs a day for the past 3 years.

Mare, I caution you about the new MacBook Pros. I find them bulky and the keyboard clunky compared with my older MacBook Air. These more expensive models nowadays are better for video or audio, but as a writer I prefer something lightweight. I haven't tried the new MacBook Air's--hopefully they haven't changed too much of a good thing. Good luck in your shopping. I hope mine lasts as long as yours  :)

(Alcyone, that's really cool about Pages and Epubs--didn't know that. If I didn't have my current routine with Vellum, I would have considered just using Pages for everything. You really only need a good Epub for publishing ebooks).

·
Registered
49 Posts
alhawke said:
(Alcyone, that's really cool about Pages and Epubs--didn't know that. If I didn't have my current routine with Vellum, I would have considered just using Pages for everything. You really only need a good Epub for publishing ebooks).
Yes, it's pretty cool! For anyone looking to create an ePub with Pages, the option is under the File > Export menu.

You can even take your cover image and insert it into your manuscript as the first page and have it become the book's cover. I haven't run what Pages produces through a validator, but with a few tweaks in terms of line spacing and setting the page size to 6x9 so the cover looks right, it looks nice on the iPad at least.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rachel Anne said:
I've always found Pages to work just fine... and I'm a Word lover. You can still save to a .docx, etc.

There are also lots of other options with the apps... even online. Google docs, etc.

Congrats on upgrading. <3
I've always had Word so never did anything with pages. I'm dreading making the switch to a new machine, but it's time-and if not for the cost I'd be more excited. My old one has been so good, doubt if I'll be as lucky with the next one. ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a brand new Mac, (and a 15 year old one that still works!) and I use free Apache Open Office with no issues. I do have to convert from .doc to .docx before I can import into Vellum, but the Mac notes program preinstalled does that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alhawke said:
I absolutely love my MacBook Air and fear the day it'll stop working. I've logged at least 4 hrs a day for the past 3 years.

Mare, I caution you about the new MacBook Pros. I find them bulky and the keyboard clunky compared with my older MacBook Air. These more expensive models nowadays are better for video or audio, but as a writer I prefer something lightweight. I haven't tried the new MacBook Air's--hopefully they haven't changed too much of a good thing. Good luck in your shopping. I hope mine lasts as long as yours :)

Alhawke, i've looked at the MacBook Air and it sounds good, was just afraid I might not be happy with it after using the Pro for so long. Also others have said the same thing about the newer MacBook Pros. Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
If you're someone who keeps their computers for a long time and it sounds like you are, make sure you get the newest models with the new "magic keyboard" and not the earlier ones with the "butterfly keyboard" as it's prone to failure.

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
Speaker-To-Animals said:
If you're someone who keeps their computers for a long time and it sounds like you are, make sure you get the newest models with the new "magic keyboard" and not the earlier ones with the "butterfly keyboard" as it's prone to failure.
What is a butterfly keyboard? I love typing on this keyboard, but it'snot working verywell. I have to manuallyinsert thespaces otherwisethe text endsup lookinglike this (unedited)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
What is a butterfly keyboard? I love typing on this keyboard, but it'snot working verywell. I have to manuallyinsert thespaces otherwisethe text endsup lookinglike this (unedited)
:eek: There are keyboards that make spaces for you, without needing to hit the spacebar? :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts