Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on the cusp of finding out if my new post-apocalyptic novel is actually working with readers, and if it turns out that people do like it as much as my beta readers, I'm thinking that I'd love to have other authors take a look.

But obviously every little fish like me wants to snare the big fish.

Has anyone been successful in getting bigger name authors to look at their stuff? Or is it more just waiting and hoping they'll pick it up on their own?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I've asked bigger-name authors to read and blurb my books for me, but I also happened to already know them, either in real-life or through forums. It wasn't completely a cold-call. Even so, they didn't always say yes. Some had to turn down the request for whatever reason, but I've gotten several quotes from NY Times bestsellers now.

You never know unless you ask.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
I've asked bigger-name authors to read and blurb my books for me, but I also happened to already know them, either in real-life or through forums. It wasn't completely a cold-call. Even so, they didn't always say yes. Some had to turn down the request for whatever reason, but I've gotten several quotes from NY Times bestsellers now.

You never know unless you ask.
This was how I went about it. I had a #1 NYT bestseller blurb my first book back in 2009. I had already interviewed him and met him at a conference. Even with WOOL, it took having some kind of personal contact to get blurbs from people above my station. The networking aspect of publishing is easy to dismiss, but I've found it to be crucial.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hugh Howey said:
This was how I went about it. I had a #1 NYT bestseller blurb my first book back in 2009. I had already interviewed him and met him at a conference. Even with WOOL, it took having some kind of personal contact to get blurbs from people above my station. The networking aspect of publishing is easy to dismiss, but I've found it to be crucial.
So I should really just follow you around? :)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
The networking aspect of publishing is easy to dismiss, but I've found it to be crucial.
It's not what you know, it's who you know. Sounds trite, but cliches are cliches for a reason, you know?

People love to help out other people they've met and clicked with. So I've really found networking to be so important.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What the hell is a blurb? Is it like a blog that you blurt?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'll get onto the networking part of things... I've never really gone to any conventions, events, etc., for writing. I guess it's time I started.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
The networking aspect of publishing is easy to dismiss, but I've found it to be crucial.
And that sucks, because it's quite difficult to 'network' from the Netherlands. Most of the conventions are in the States, and I can't afford to leave my family and cavort to the US to rub noses with the hoi polloi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts