Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips for getting fired up again to plug "Billionaires, Bullets, Exploding Monkeys" I've lost the drive again as sales stopped. How does everybody get psyched up again?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I noticed you have some v good reviews for " Billionaires "  so that's a big plus.
Take heart from those and maybe look at your promoting efforts.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I don't approach it from an "I want to see immediate results" perspective and that helps me.

I try to devote only 1-2 hours a day on social media, blogging, soliciting reviews from book bloggers, etc., and still have regular writing time every day.

Then I look at it as, "These things take time, and even with no immediate results or boost, it will have a cumulative effect.

And by staying on task with writing, my enthusiasm stays focused on what's next, not on my sales results so much.

Hope that helps. It's a trick to train one's mind to work that way, but once you do get the mindset down, it may work for you, too.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Attebery said:
Any tips for getting fired up again to plug "Billionaires, Bullets, Exploding Monkeys" I've lost the drive again as sales stopped. How does everybody get psyched up again?
Go write something else. It's the best cure for just about anything ;D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with Krista. When I'm burnt out from promotion and just not excited anymore, I just focus on writing for awhile. Sales tend to go in cycles, so they'll go up and down regardless, but the best promo is another book, which works out well since that's also the cure for promo burn out, IMO. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know where you're coming from. It's hard work, especially when you see only a small response for all your efforts.

I just take heart from the results of some of the writers on here, and accept that it will take time to build up sales. I have actually seen a tiny increase for the past couple of months - so hope the effort is beginning to mean something.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know the feeling, and I think it's normal. I would try to focus on something else for a while - before you know it, you'll be psyched up all over again :)

And don't let those sales figures get you down. Sometimes they'll be slow, sometimes not. That's why I don't tend to check my figures more than 3 or 4 times a week (though when I'm selling more I expect I'll be checking hourly!)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I checked out your page and liked your blurb so much that I downloaded the sample. (I have a rule not to buy without sampling!)  Looking forward to reading!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I agree with most here. Writing constantly is the best cure. The more books you have and the more platforms you make them available on, the less you have to worry about sales slowing down for one book.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Gosh, constructive distraction is what I'm hoping works! I spent far too many hours this week on marketing that I'm burnt out, too. So today, I'm just going to write. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just read your description (on Amazon). I liked your concept so I bought it.

Your sales will pick up again...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Attebery said:
Read the "When things get rough" thread. You won't feel so bad.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yes, keep writing. If you are continually immersed in new work, you can take the attitude of "Oh yeah, I'll show this. This will be so brilliant they'll never be able to resist." This is the mentality that kept me going for years while I was trying to find an agent and later, watching as my agent struggled to sell my books.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you consider yourself a writer than you should be writing. If you wanted easy money, you should be in Vegas or playing the lottery. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. It's that simple. Chin up and get crackin' on the next book.

I just received the first rejection on my newest book, so what am I doing about it, I'm preparing a submissions package for the next publisher on the list and then I'm going back to work on my WIP. This is a tough business with a lot of hands held out. You're doing the very best you can, and that's all you can do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm actually revising the fourth book now. Third will be out in the fall. Just trying to get motivated to start that promotional drive again. Been pushing BBEM since May 2009, and have never gotten great sales for my efforts. Afraid of having the same experience this time around as well.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. Thanks as well for the purchases. I'll keep everyone posted as the third book rolls out in a few months and the fourth book goes into it's latest round of editing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mike, maybe you should consider trying the traditional route with your next one. Perhaps having someone else in your corner will get the fire burning again.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mel Comley said:
You need to take a break, change your outlook to a positive one and start again.

Good luck ;)
AMEN Mel! I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I became so stressed out over the whole thing, I decided to take a break. I slowed WAY down on my tweeting, FBing, and posting on other Forums for a couple of weeks. It really gave me a better perspective (longer term perspective), so now that I'm back into it again, I'm not so stressed out - ahhhhhhhh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I firmly believe Kindle and indie publishing are the way to go, so I don't think I'll ever aim for the "traditional" route again. Just have to keep letting things build I guess. Feeling better. Set up a new blog today ( www.mikeattebery ). Gonna take it a day at a time as I roll out books 3 and 4. Book 3 is a sequel to BBEM. Thanks again for all your thoughts guys!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts