Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but first you need readers. :)

You can try to find ARC readers using services like BookSprout and Hidden Gems. Hidden Gems is typically best but depending on your genre, they have a ridiculous waiting list. As in up to a year.

When your book is published you are going to need to advertise to get eyes on it. Assuming you don't already have a fan base or some really effective word of mouth going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
ImaWriter said:
Hidden Gems is typically best but depending on your genre, they have a ridiculous waiting list. As in up to a year.
Yeah, Hidden Gems is only getting worse :( It's a year now. August 2021 for romance, September 2021 for fantasy. My new release fantasy published this month was booked with them six months ago. I had to take a second look to make sure the year was actually reading 2021.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
BookSprout typically gets me a few; voracious readers is a little better. Discounting your book and paying for a book promo will also help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
scottdouglas said:
BookSprout typically gets me a few; voracious readers is a little better. Discounting your book and paying for a book promo will also help.
This. A book promotion will get you reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
What you're after is generating buzz about the book. So this means more than reviews. You should be developing relationships with bloggers and vloggers months ahead of time so that even if they can't review your book they might mention it as something they're interested in reading. Having your work on TBR's is as important as reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
KatyRW, can I just say, "OMG. Awesome profile photo!"

And don't worry TOO much about reviews. Reviews are a result of sales, they don't magically create sales. And the whole "You need 50 reviews to X" rumors flying around are just that, rumors.

If you focus on everything else, the reviews will follow. Finish the book. Get a good cover. Make sure your keywords, categories, and blurb are on point. Set up a mailing list, plan some sort of book launch, even if it's modest. Reviews will trickle in.

If you really want to have something on that product page when you launch, Booksprout is easy and free for the first 20 people who claim your book. Try that. But seriously. Don't spend time chasing reviews at the expense of all the other things you need to be doing ahead of launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
It's hard when you're starting from scratch. Maybe post in a few facebook groups for readers in your genre  - obvs. get permission before posting first :)
But really, DmGuay's advice is solid. Readers will see the title's a new release by a new author - provided your cover & blurb etc catches & keeps their attention, they'll likely give you a shot - the rest is up to you! Best of the 'L' word!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Look for arc services as mentioned above and try to get 15-20 readers. If only half post a review you will be launching with 7-10 reviews which will help a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
DmGuay said:
KatyRW, can I just say, "OMG. Awesome profile photo!"

And don't worry TOO much about reviews. Reviews are a result of sales, they don't magically create sales. And the whole "You need 50 reviews to X" rumors flying around are just that, rumors.

If you focus on everything else, the reviews will follow. Finish the book. Get a good cover. Make sure your keywords, categories, and blurb are on point. Set up a mailing list, plan some sort of book launch, even if it's modest. Reviews will trickle in.

If you really want to have something on that product page when you launch, Booksprout is easy and free for the first 20 people who claim your book. Try that. But seriously. Don't spend time chasing reviews at the expense of all the other things you need to be doing ahead of launch.
This is great advice. Very succinctly put, which helps clarify the process for me as well, thank you.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top