Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become so dependant on Kindle for reading that I've decided to get rid of my bookcase and most of my books! There are some that have sentimental value, and a few such as folio style books which can't be replicated digitally (yet) but other than that there's no advantage in having this huge monolith of paper sitting in the corner of my living room.

Has anyone else come to this decision yet?!

·
5,979 Posts
I feel as if I ought to be moving in that direction, but I can't quite bring myself to do it! I'm sure there will be a lot of books I would never get rid of, but I'm also sure I could 'thin the herd' a little if I put my mind to it. But I did that once before many years ago, getting rid of some books I felt I wouldn't read again and didn't need to keep and I found it incredibly difficult to let go of them. I love my books and I have a huge sentimental attachment to them. ::)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I had a lot of paperback books that I had accumulated over the years.  Most of them had been read at least a couple of times.  The covers were worn and had been taped together.  They were all dusty and old.  Some of the novels were hardback.

I gave all of them to my wife's teenage nephew since he reads a lot. He was happy to get them.

I found duplicates of most of the books online.  Some I was able to get free, but others I bought.  So practically all of my paper books I replaced with Kindle books.

I keep some of the non fiction hardback books since I liked them and they weren't available for the Kindle.

The important thing is the story inside of the book, whether it be made of paper or digital.  I tend to reread novels more than once if it is something I like so I just store them on my computer until I want to read them, then upload to my Kindle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nope. In fact i have plans to buy 5 more IKEA Billy bookshelves for my reading nook/library.

Maybe I will consider was my youngest approaches high school/college. But she is still in the learning to read process and the books are the key to holding her interest.....

And as much as I loved my iPad and ebooks, I think i loved uncovering that box of my old Nancy Drew and Black Stallion books more!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
While I definitely prefer getting ebooks for new material, I've still found myself purchasing just as many paper books.  Sometimes, I've purchased both just to have in case the Kindle goes kaput and I NEED to read that book.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Some years ago I gave away my bound copies of the Encyclopaedia Britannica and was glad to see them go. Freed up a lot of shelf space. A couple of years later I filled the back of my pickup truck with books and donated them to the library for their annual sale. I'm pretty minimized on the bookcases already, but I still have boxes of books in the attic.

My wife recently came back from a convention with 8 or 10 books, and I just groaned. There's nowhere to put them but to have them sitting around in stacks.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Absolutely! I got rid of 90% of my paperbacks, only keeping a few that I might re-read and which aren't available on Kindle. I also  kept all my reference books (mostly historical) none of which are available on Kindle. A lot of my hardcovers are signed first editions so I only thinned those out by about 25%.

However, that meant that I reduced by book collection, including all types of books, by about a thousand books! Goodwill was very happy and I made a lot of room. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
After one too many times of packing and moving, we unloaded several heavy boxes of books over the last couple years. And both our bookcases. And a toaster. And an old standard definition TV. And a silver napkin holder. And a round kitchen table. Pretty much anything that won't help in the fight against the undead got tossed. Except my Stephen King Illustrated Companion. Tom stayed. He's a good friend.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Since I have been assimilated in Kindle World, I have been weeding my bookcases, donating a lot of books to our local library....however, the shelves are metamorphosing into displays of classic books, knick-knacks, photos and sheet music.  Refreshing appearance.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Nope...keeping all my books and adding to them. It's art. A home library full of art. I :hearts: my books and bookcases...

·
Registered
802 Posts
I offloaded almost all of my fiction paperbacks and hardbacks, 300-400 books in total. I kept my history books and glossy coffee table books, as well as my massive EB set (which, when combined with the Great Works collection and the American history collection, is HUGE). Getting the ipad prompted me to dump about half of my comics, though I do not really like reading comics on the ipad (needs a bit more resolution and I worry about transferability of the content). So in all I was able to go from about 7 bookshelves to 4.5. Mainly it allowed me to clear all the stacks of books from around the house, much to my wife's delight :)

Ditching all my CDs and DVDs was another massive space saver. Still have a good sized Blu-ray and HD-DVD collection, but nowhere near as big as the DVD pile. But if netflix really achieves domination of the studios and can stream everything and a color e-ink type e-reader comes out that can do illustrated books well, I might be able to go totally digital. I dunno, something makes me cry to think that all I need is an xbox, a kindle, and an internet connection :p

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Nope. I have bookcases down the east and west walls of the library floor to ceiling. It's books or nic-nacs. I prefer books. I mostly buy ebooks now, especially for 1 off reads. But I buy poetry, plays, and ones with beautiful page setup (photo dependent type books) in paper. Actually I've not bought an ebook in a couple months. Our local library just got overdrive and so I've been checking them out and reading on my Sony pocket. I decide what I want to read, the check overdrive, the plan being if they don't have it go kindle, so far the have had them. I'm reading In the Garden of Beasts now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't keep every paper book I get, but I do keep a pretty fair amount. My bookshelf is a statement of who I am, you can tell a lot about a person from the books on their shelves. I find it really creepy to be in someone's house and realize there are no books. If I have no books on my shelves, then my house would look like the house of the non-reader.

I could see the moving books could be a pain, but I have no intention of moving again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, I'm right there with you.  I'm in the process of going through our monolith of books.  The majority of them will be leaving with the exception of the sentimental favorites.  It's taken me two years to get to this point.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We never kept many of the books in our house with the idea of building up a library. My wife has a couple of book bags and makes a monthly trek to the used book store. The bags would come home just as full as when she left.

Since getting our Kindles, the trip is done about three times a year. I'm sure she is still reading just as much, and my reading went up a lot. It's just the DTBs that have decreased. We still have a collection of important books, it's just the paperbacks and books she goes through quickly that no longer stack up by the bedroom door.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh, yeah.  I had some work done on my house this past spring and the contractor who has known me for years said he was surprised I didn't have more books.  I was delighted by his comment, told him I had worked hard over the past few years to pare down my paper books and said there were hundreds of ebooks on my Kindle and stored at Amazon, none of which took up space or needed to be dusted. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts