Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a kindle but as I live outside the US with no US credit card, the Amazon helpline has stonewalled me.
I can get buy a kindle through a friend and have that sent to her place in the US. However, I don't want to keep calling in favors everytime I buy a book, like every week!

Can someone tell me if I can get around by:
Buying Amazon gift cards to myself - this is possible with a credit card that is not with a US bank? - so I then have my account topped up so when I hit the 1-click purchase it will take this money rather than requiring a credit card?
Is it possible to just get the Amazon gift card electronically by email, then I can just top up the account by inputing a code rather than to wait for a piece of paper in the post?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received - I really want to get a kindle!

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
I think Amazon is going to require you have a US credit card on file, even if you use some other payment method.  They are trying to honor the agreements they've made with publishers:  the e-book rights are only for US residents which is why it's currently restricted.  I'm sure they're working on it. . . .I don't know what else to tell you except that if you are a US Citizen, you should be able to get a US credit card.  Then you'd just have to have the initial purchased mailed to a US address and you can buy books and load the Kindle via download and USB transfer.

Ann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but I am not a US citizen...
Can someone tell me if they have managed to buy a kindle book with an amazon gift card top up on their amazon account and downloaded to their kindle via USB from an Apple computer?

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
hoou said:
It may still be possible to get a US credit card (albeit with a very low limit to start) if you have a good friend whose address you can use on the application. Statements would go to that address as well. Then once it's approved and being used, you could change the address for the statements to a US P.O. box that forwards mail, just to spare your friend the hassle. There's always a way.... just may not be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
hoou said:
Can someone tell me if they have managed to buy a kindle book with an amazon gift card top up on their amazon account and downloaded to their kindle via USB from an Apple computer?
I do have a kindle, and live outside the US, however, I also have a US credit card and address I use for that card. I buy gift cards and then use those to buy my books, and download them to my kindle through the usb from my Apple. I don't know if you have to have a US credit card to buy the books, like Ann said it might be because of the international agreements. If you have a friend that you can use their address to initially get your card and kindle then change the address to a US post office box, or MBE, or some other postal type service that might work. Once you get your kindle though there are no problems downloading.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Amazon Gift Card trick does NOT work.  Amazon got hip to that work around really quickly.

You MUST have a US Credit Card Issued by a US bank.  Although a Debit Card or Gift Card purchased from a US bank has been known to do the trick.  Some US Banks require you to have an account with them for their Gift Cards to work.

In the meantime there are plenty of other places that will sell e-books to you.  All the information you need about these sellers is here at KindleBoards.

·
Registered
384 Posts
ladynightshade said:
EASY. Get a paypal account, load it full of money, then get the paypal debit card :D works like cake.
Have you had personal experience with this?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
cat616 said:
The Amazon Gift Card trick does NOT work. Amazon got hip to that work around really quickly.
I use gift cards all the time, from all sorts of people all over the world.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
I use gift cards all the time, from all sorts of people all over the world.
Yes, but you have a US Credit Card issued by a US bank registered with Amazon don't you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts