Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a countdown deal coming up next week. It will be promoted on 23 sites.

Since signing up with them - and providing my email - I've noticed a steady increase in spam offers (Russian singles, Medicare, Testosterone replacement, cut-rate tires, ad nauseum).

Anyone else noticing this? I assume it's from the free and cheap sites but I don't guess I'll ever know for sure.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely. I wasn't getting a shred of spam on my author email account until I signed up with some promo sites.

Also, if you own a promo site and you sell email lists to spammers, you suck. The end.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is the spam getting by your spam filters or are you just making a habit of checking the spam folder for kicks?

I think I submitted my book to about 60 promo sites, about half of which signed me up for their mailing lists among other things. I haven't seen any piece of spam in my inbox. Maybe something in my spam folder, but who cares about that anyway. That's what the spam folder is for. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
SevenDays said:
I check mine regularly for comedy gold, and also for the occasional real piece of mail that winds up in there.
Yeah, I actually hate how overzealous Gmail's spam filters are. I miss 2-3 legitimate emails a week because they go straight to spam, and I'd never see them if I didn't make a habit of checking it regularly.

I'm curious about which promo sites are selling the mailing lists, though. I'd like to know who to avoid.

G

·
THIS: This is why I give a different email address to every site: that way, I can easily see which ones, if any, have given it to spammers.

I sometimes help authors with their book promotions and for a fact - After submitting to the whole grand list of promo sites

a) Spam Emails

b) Emails from certain authors promoting their new reelases. 100% sure it's spam because I never signed up for them.

FYI - We don't sell email lists to anyone. It'd be sort of crazy to work hard to build up a list and then destroy the value of it by selling it to others, let alone to spammers. There is one email list company that contacted me saying they had lists for sale. If I can find that email I'll share who the company was. It wasn't a promo site, just some marketing company.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Oh, I didn't just get regular spam, I also got added to a mailing list of some small promo site that I've never heard of before.  ::) I have an email address that I use only for Amazon and other vendors, and the only spam I get there are the ads for Ray-Ban glasses.  8) Seriously, is there someone who isn't selling email lists these days? Although, there's nothing like having your email posted somewhere online. Then you get the Nigerian prince, long-lost relatives, job offers, packages, bank accounts...  :p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edward M. Grant said:
This is why I give a different email address to every site: that way, I can easily see which ones, if any, have given it to spammers.
If you'd care to share names, Mr. Grant -- and anyone else with that info -- I suspect the negative publicity here on Kboards would go a long way to curtail sites selling email lists.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts