Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only imagine (through videos, photos, reviews, posts, specs) the Kindle at this time, as I'm awaiting arrival of my Kindle in early March.  It seems to me, though, that the display area is smaller than most trade paperback books and/or hardcover books.  Is this true?  For those who use a default-size font, do you find yourself turning pages much more frequently and was this hard to get used to at first? 

Other than turning pages, was there anything else it took time to get used to before you felt "at home" with your Kindle?  Was the screen color and/or contrast easy to adjust to, etc.?  Any comments appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
libro -

I use font size 4 and that does involve turning pages frequently but it was easy to get used to. I read with kindle in cover open like a book and rest my thumb over the left "next page" button. Easy to get used to.

Biggest problem at the beginning was turning pages by mistake. after a few days - I adjusted and don't do that anymore.

Wouldn't give up the kindle for anything and even got my husband a refurb for Christmas - he loves it!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I read exactly  like Libro described. After reading for about an hour I forgot that it wasn't a paper book. I find it easier to hold and being able to change the font size is wonderful. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The first few pages, I remember noticing the "flash" as the page changes, but I quickly adjusted, and now I blink when the page changes, so I don't really see it.

Also, I hold it with the cover turned back, and depending on which hand I'm holding it in, I just have to slightly rock the base of my left thumb to use the left page turn, or move my thumb slighly to use the right page turn button.

You soon learn to hold by the cover edges, with a finger or thumb on the plain area (without buttons).  It doesn't take long.

I read faster with the Kindle, even on font size 4 - the print is so clear!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use the default font size, and while it feels like I'm reading faster than I would be if it were a dead tree book, I don't feel like I'm pressing the "next page" button too often.

For me it was like Cinderella and the glass slipper. I picked up my Kindle, and suddenly I knew how to use it. It didn't take much getting used to at all.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Turning pages was really easy to get used to. I usually rest my thumb lightly on the next page button. So you barely move and the pages change pretty quickly. It's easier to get lost in a book in my opinion.

It didn't take long to figure how to use it either. It seemed overwhelming at first but after skimming the booklet that came with it, I figured it out in no time. And I will admit, I was not doing something right, felt like an idiot, and called customer service. The guy I spoke to was super nice. So if you get it and have questions that you can't find an answer to, don't hesitate to call CS. You get an answer instantly and they are great.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
It took me no time to adjust to the Kindle. It is pretty intuitive. I have occassionally changed the page accidently but that is very rare.

·
Registered
679 Posts
it really didn;t take me any time to get used to the Kindle... and now that I have it, it is harder for me to read DTBs

·
Registered
35 Posts
It took me a couple of weeks to stop accidently turning the page but I finally got used to it and I am now thrilled to be able to take my library with me wherever I go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The biggest problem is accidentally turning pages, but you soon figure out a way to hold it without accidentally pressing the next page button. Once you've had it for a couple of week, you will forget that you're reading on an electronic device.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The reading screen is the same size as a DTB, well most of them anyway.  I am not particularly technical, but had no problems adjusting to the kindle.  My problem now is adjusting to DTB.  Don't worry - be happy when you get it - and Leslies FAQ is a must, in fact, get it now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like everyone says - it's quick and intuitive.  I adapted in a couple of days or less.  I read with the standard cover, turned back with the elastic strap over one corner.  This gives a good grip and doesn't stretch the strap too much.  I put a couple of small patches of velcro on the Kindle's back side, which holds it securely in the cover and yet allows quick access to the Whispernet button.  I rarely turn the Kindle completely off so no problem there. 

Any time I set Thing (as in, 'hey, what's that thing?') down, I put it in sleep mode, to avoid any errant page turning.  I'm oblivious to the page flash and have learned to time my page turning to avoid any reading delay.  I read most books on font size 4 and don't find the number of page turns oppressive - it's well worth the ease of reading.

I can't imagine you'll have any problems adapting at all.  Have fun!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks everyone....it sounds like it will be very easy to get used to.  I can tell you today I really would have appreciated the Kindle version of the new DTB I'm reading ..... i'ts heavy and nearly 700 pages.  It will be nice for all "books" to feel the same weight, what 10.2 ounces?  Can't wait.  Thanks for all your replies and tips.

·
Registered
108 Posts
libro said:
Wow, thanks everyone....it sounds like it will be very easy to get used to. I can tell you today I really would have appreciated the Kindle version of the new DTB I'm reading ..... i'ts heavy and nearly 700 pages. It will be nice for all "books" to feel the same weight, what 10.2 ounces? Can't wait. Thanks for all your replies and tips.
Libro.. The one suggestion I've had for people I know who have a kindles, is that when you choose your first book to read, make it an author that you are familiar with. I chose a book in a series I love so that the only thing I had to get used to was the kindle, not the author's style. It worked for me, and I was loving the kindle in less than an hour!!
Good Luck

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RB said:
Libro.. The one suggestion I've had for people I know who have a kindles, is that when you choose your first book to read, make it an author that you are familiar with. I chose a book in a series I love so that the only thing I had to get used to was the kindle, not the author's style. It worked for me, and I was loving the kindle in less than an hour!!
Good Luck
RB -- What a great tip. I never thought of that....great advice.

I am SO looking forward to the arrival of the Kindle! This evening I perused several DTBs I checked out from the library and each one has a problem. One I thought would be good, and into the first chapter I could see it wasn't my type of book. Another one was okay, but the print was extremely small and the book very heavy, the writing not compelling enough to put up with either. I finally settled on one book. With the Kindle, I'll be able to sample chapters and adjust the font size to my liking. The background will always be the same -- not bright white like in some DTBs.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
sylvia said:
I kept anticipating my page turning too early ;D and had to return. I soon grew out of that.
Sylvia
I know how that is I went through the same thing. It didn't take me long to get used to my kindle, since I was lurking the board the week before its arrive I was made aware of the usual difficulties

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
libro said:
new DTB I'm reading ..... i'ts heavy and nearly 700 pages. It will be nice for all "books" to feel the same weight, what 10.2 ounces?
That was my initial motivation for getting a Kindle. I was reading a 750 page hardcover book and I could only read a few pages at a time because of physical problems I have. I thought the Kindle would be a lot better, and it sure was. I rebought the book in the Kindle edition and that was it for me, a Kindle addict for life.

Steve

·
Registered
376 Posts
With paper, I often found it hard to adjust or get myself to read to certain books depending on the size of the book and font used. 

What I love about the Kindle is that hurdle is gone....except for those in Topaz format which I do not like at all (reminder to self: always sample a book before buying)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't been able to get a Kindle yet, but I get the impression they are pretty easy to adjust. I'm looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts