Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking that since I have a week to wait for the DX that I should just organize my library to get it ready for the DX. I have documents all over in different topic folders and haven't downloaded any of my Amazon books to my computer. Since I'm going to have to transfer my .pdf files over USB anyway might as well just do all of my Amazon books that way too and save the whispernet syncing.

Anyone else going to do this?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You won't be able to get your Amazon Kindle books for your KDX unless it is already on your account. Each time you download it will ask you which unit you want it for and it will be DRM'd for that unit. Just lettin' ya know!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use Calibre to organize all my ebooks.  It handles multiple file types very nicely, if you have more than one file type of a particular book you can put both files under one entry.  It does a good job of converting non DRM'd books into different ebook versions as well.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's already showing on my account as "rasputina's 4th kindle"

I have caliber, but I don't need anything converted at this time. I just want it all organized into 1 folder for ease of drag and drop over USB. I actually only use caliber for transferring my converted files onto my iphone for the stanza app. I can't imagine any use for it for transferring onto kindle.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Rasputina said:
I can't imagine any use for it for transferring onto kindle.
Calibre is a great application for not only keeping e-books organized, but for easily transferring documents directly to the Kindle. You might want to try it for this function.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't like it's interface, I only use for that 1 application, because it's the easiest thing I've found for transfers compatible with stanza for iphone. 

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am new to Kindle reading and am awaiting my DX due to ship the 15th of June.  I, too, would like to get books organized and possibly downloaded to my computer to enable easy and fast transfer when the DX arrives.  Is this possible without actually registering a Kindle?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Why would I need Calibre for the DX?  It has a native PDF reader.  I see no use for any conversion for the new DX.  Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
legalbs2 said:
Why would I need Calibre for the DX? It has a native PDF reader. I see no use for any conversion for the new DX. Am I wrong?
Calibre is way, way more than a conversion program. While I do use it for conversion to me it's primary function is to organize my ebook library.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have my library backup organized as shown here

Books from sources other than Amazon are in the documents folder shown. I can download my Amazon books to the proper Kindle subfolder and rename them the way I want them organized (author last name, first name_title.azw) on my computer. You can do this ahead of time for your new Kindle if it already appears on your account and then just drag them over when it arrives. Much faster than downloading them one by one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also use Calibre to organise eBooks for my K1.

It's far more effective than folders, IMO. I use the 'ratings' field to show which books are on my K1 at any one time. I use the 'series' field for read and unread status of books. It also does conversions when I need it (rarely, but nice to have it there), and one-click transferring of books to the Kindle. It lets me quickly organise by title, author, publisher, tags, or anything else that I choose. I can quickly sort the Kindle file formats from the other formats to see how many I have of each file type.

Calibre is effectively a backup of your books, an organisational system, and a conversion application, all in one piece of software. It's basically iTunes for eBooks. Using folders, in comparison, is extremely limited.

So, yes, I very much recommend Calibre.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
reemixx you just gave me a great idea for organizing my kindle ebooks using tags.  Once I my DX shows up I can tag my azw formated books between Forster's K2 and Forster's DX so I can keep track which ebooks are serialized for which reader.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Forster said:
reemixx you just gave me a great idea for organizing my kindle ebooks using tags. Once I my DX shows up I can tag my azw formated books between Forster's K2 and Forster's DX so I can keep track which ebooks are serialized for which reader.
Yep! Calibre is perfect for people with multiple Kindles for exactly that reason. The way you organise is completely up to you. Tags are pretty powerful in that way.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
MAGreen said:
You won't be able to get your Amazon Kindle books for your KDX unless it is already on your account. Each time you download it will ask you which unit you want it for and it will be DRM'd for that unit. Just lettin' ya know!
Not sure if I am understanding you correctly,but, a kindle book can be put on more than 1 kindle registered to the same account.
I know this because I have many of the same books on my K1 and my K2.

:)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sugar said:
Not sure if I am understanding you correctly,but, a kindle book can be put on more than 1 kindle registered to the same account.
I know this because I have many of the same books on my K1 and my K2.

:)
Yes but have you copied the K1 file to your K2 and had it work or did you just download the book from Amazon to your K2.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Forster said:
Yes but have you copied the K1 file to your K2 and had it work or did you just download the book from Amazon to your K2.
I downloaded them from where my purchased books are stored on Amazon,and added them to both my Kindles, or to which ever one didn't receive the book when 1st purchased.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Sugar said:
I downloaded them from where my purchased books are stored on Amazon,and added them to both my Kindles, or to which ever one didn't receive the book when 1st purchased.
Right, If you choose "download to computer" from your Manage your Kindle page you have to choose which Kindle you're downloading for. If you later try to transfer that book via USB to another Kindle on your account, it won't open on that Kindle. The download from the computer is specific to the particular Kindle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts